Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@Sticky looks good man I can't wait to see the complete list.
    E46 323i-rip
    e46325ci- sold
    e85 z4-sold
    e46-m3-ripClick here to enlarge
    fj cruiser- sold
    e90 325i-sold
    e30 325i vert-current
    http://theworstdrug.com/25

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G0TB00ST? Click here to enlarge
    @Sticky looks good man I can't wait to see the complete list.
    If you guys are good maybe I'll complete it this week or get in the zone writing and even do it tonight. It's like a freaking 10 page paper though.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@Sticky i promise ill actually read it this time lol
    E46 323i-rip
    e46325ci- sold
    e85 z4-sold
    e46-m3-ripClick here to enlarge
    fj cruiser- sold
    e90 325i-sold
    e30 325i vert-current
    http://theworstdrug.com/25

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Now it's going to take a long while to complete the list because I'm not just stringing together a list with 1 paragraph like Jalopnik and actually providing some background and real analysis. So if you think it's easy because it's 10 motors our levels of writing are world's apart.

And no, the N54 won't be on the list because it isn't a damn M motor.

lol, ok, so there are realistically what? 9 //M motors? Not counting minor variations? So this a rank in stead of a "top ten" That's fine, looking forward to the list. I agree the S38 was an awesome motor. No.1, ok, won't argue that, although the S70 was right up there, can't imagine another motor more fit for the No. 2 slot then, one day a Mclaren F1 will sit in my garage....one day it will be right next to an M1. haha, god damn I would probably piss myself with excitement if I ever opened up a garage door, mine or not, and saw an F1 and M1 next to each other...
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    lol, ok, so there are realistically what? 9 //M motors? Not counting minor variations? So this a rank in stead of a "top ten" That's fine, looking forward to the list. I agree the S38 was an awesome motor. No.1, ok, won't argue that, although the S70 was right up there, can't imagine another motor more fit for the No. 2 slot.
    Whatever all time M motor ranking call it what you want.

The S70 was not up there. I assume you're referring to the S70/2. That motor never went into an M car.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Whatever all time M motor ranking call it what you want.

The S70 was not up there. I assume you're referring to the S70/2. That motor never went into an M car.
    lol, very true, M70 variation was in the 8 series and 7 series only, I forget it wasn't an "//M" motor...I guess another reason it should be top BMW engines, and not //M motors. S70, M10, those are two that come to mind. Maybe a non-M motor list to follow?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

lol, very true, M70 variation was in the 8 series and 7 series only, I forget it wasn't an "//M" motor...I guess another reason it should be top BMW engines, and not //M motors. S70, M10, those are two that come to mind. Maybe a non-M motor list to follow?
    No because M motors best exemplify BMW's engine building prowess and Motorsport success. The M50 isn't on the level of the S50. The M54 isn't as good as the S54. The M70 isn't as good as the S70. The M62 isn't as good as the S62. And so on and so forth.

BMW has great motors all across the line but an all time BMW engine ranking would lack focus and take too long. Because there aren't too many M motors it makes more sense to focus on them because they also saw the greatest attention from BMW's best engineers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

No because M motors best exemplify BMW's engine building prowess and Motorsport success. The M50 isn't on the level of the S50. The M54 isn't as good as the S54. The M70 isn't as good as the S70. The M62 isn't as good as the S62. And so on and so forth.

BMW has great motors all across the line but an all time BMW engine ranking would lack focus and take too long. Because there aren't too many M motors it makes more sense to focus on them because they also saw the greatest attention from BMW's best engineers.
    lol, obviously M70 was not as good as the S70, didn't say it was. S70 is one of, if not the best BMW motor made and you just wrote an article about the M12/M13 variations of the M10 being used in F1 and being one of the best F1 motors of all time, so just saying, there are other noteworthy motors besides the very few //M motors that were made, most of which are/were only successfull in racing after extensive and overly expensive rebuilds. //M is awesome, and I'm looking forward to the list, but I'm not going to get on my knees for BMW //M

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

lol, obviously M70 was not as good as the S70, didn't say it was. S70 is one of, if not the best BMW motor made and you just wrote an article about the M12/M13 variations of the M10 being used in F1 and being one of the best F1 motors of all time, so just saying, there are other noteworthy motors besides the very few //M motors that were made, most of which are/were only successfull in racing after extensive and overly expensive rebuilds. //M is awesome, and I'm looking forward to the list, but I'm not going to get on my knees for BMW //M
    Once again you're confusing the S70 and S70/2.

Yes, I wrote about the M10 iron block being used with the M12/M13 which were not based on a production turbo motor and only used in Motorsport. Keep in mind the time period where you saw that. M did not produce a production four-cylinder until the S14 which was after the M12/M13 were banned from Motorsport. Still, the M10 saw what it did thanks to BMW Motorsport the same people who work on the M motors for production cars.

Whether you want to get on your knees for M or not the M motors represent BMW's best motors for their road cars. The list is based on M motors you could use in a BMW car and that is part of what makes the M motors special as you were getting a race bred motor in a luxury sedan essentially.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Once again you're confusing the S70 and S70/2.

Yes, I wrote about the M10 iron block being used with the M12/M13 which were not based on a production turbo motor and only used in Motorsport. Keep in mind the time period where you saw that. M did not produce a production four-cylinder until the S14 which was after the M12/M13 were banned from Motorsport. Still, the M10 saw what it did thanks to BMW Motorsport the same people who work on the M motors for production cars.

Whether you want to get on your knees for M or not the M motors represent BMW's best motors for their road cars. The list is based on M motors you could use in a BMW car and that is part of what makes the M motors special as you were getting a race bred motor in a luxury sedan essentially.
    I'm not confused with the S70 and S70/2 just too lazy to keep writing S70/2. Did M not design the S70/2?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

I'm not confused with the S70 and S70/2 just too lazy to keep writing S70/2. Did M not design the S70/2?
    They did but it never went into a BMW.

It is a necessary distinction to write S70/2.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

They did but it never went into a BMW.

It is a necessary distinction to write S70/2.
    The list is M motors right? Not M motors that went into a street BMW? Sure, the motor went from 2 valves to 4 valves per cylinder, dual-vanos variable valve timing, etc. etc. but it was an M motor that went into one of the if not the best sports car ever made

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

The list is M motors right? Not M motors that went into a street BMW? Sure, the motor went from 2 valves to 4 valves per cylinder, dual-vanos variable valve timing, etc. etc. but it was an M motor that went into one of the if not the best sports car ever made
    Well wait until you see the final list. I'm putting an emphasis on M street motors in BMW's as if I had to explore the entirety of engines in BMW's Motorsport history it becomes a book instead of an article.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Well wait until you see the final list. I'm putting an emphasis on M street motors in BMW's as if I had to explore the entirety of engines in BMW's Motorsport history it becomes a book instead of an article.
    Ok, well let me know when the book comes out, I want a signed copy sent my way. For free I might add as i would credit myself for being the motivation. You could name it "the book that has nothing to do with the N54"

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Ok, well let me know when the book comes out, I want a signed copy sent my way. For free I might add as i would credit myself for being the motivation. You could name it "the book that has nothing to do with the N54"
    Ok I just have to disappear from the world for roughly 6 months.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

For sure the S52 does not deserve any mentioning in the ranking.
    A bigger displacement M50/M52 with other cams is not a real S-engine,sorry.

My personal list(sorted by age and layout)of BMW S-road engines:

Best 4 cylinder:
    -S14B25

Best straight 6s:
    -S38B38
    -S54B32

Best V8s:
    -S62B50
    -S65B40

Best V10(and the only one):
    -S85B50

Best V12:
    -S70/2

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by S62R Click here to enlarge
    For sure the S52 does not deserve any mentioning in the ranking.
    A bigger displacement M50/M52 with other cams is not a real S-engine,sorry.

My personal list(sorted by age and layout)of BMW S-road engines:

Best 4 cylinder:
    -S14B25

Best straight 6s:
    -S38B38
    -S54B32

Best V8s:
    -S62B50
    -S65B40

Best V10(and the only one):
    -S85B50

Best V12:
    -S70/2
    Save it for the article guys then the debate can rage.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Save it for the article guys then the debate can rage.

This is my only statement on this matter,Joseph.
    I will not start arguing which one is the better straight 6 or V8 as I have better things to do.

The post above is my personal point of view from actual experience,working/rebuilding/modifying/building/driving almost every S-engine BMW ever built.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by S62R Click here to enlarge
    This is my only statement on this matter,Joseph.
    I will not start arguing which one is the better straight 6 or V8 as I have better things to do.

The post above is my personal point of view from actual experience,working/rebuilding/modifying/building/driving almost every S-engine BMW ever built.
    I really do like your input on the motors, a lot, I just don't want to get this going before it should be.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123