Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Class action suit alleges BMW n54-turbo-engine unsafe causes unintended acceleration

Click here to enlarge

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/12/c...afe-causes-un/

The lawsuit, initiated by the legal firm of Kershaw, Cutter and Ratinoff, LLC of California alleges that BMW produced an engine which suffers from serious defects. The aforementioned fuel pump is evidently prone to failure, and when they go south, the car loses power and goes into 'limp mode' since it can't drink gasoline. Such failures could have serious safety ramifications depending on when and where the pump packs up. According to Autoblog sister site Daily Finance, this isn't the first lawsuit regarding N54 problems.

According to the law firm, the problem with the turbochargers is that defective examples cannot run at full capacity, resulting in strange noises underhood and noticeable throttle lag. BMW had initiated a software update, which made it so the turbochargers were "fixed," but apparently all they did was stop the turbos from being allowed to run at full tilt. This, in turn, resulted in a loss of power and noticeable lag, one of the very issues the N54's architecture was designed to eliminate.

Among other details, the KC&L class action (official press release below) alleges that BMW knowingly hid these defects not just from customers, but also from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and the suit is looking to legally compel BMW into a recall.

BMW officials that Autoblog contacted for this story noted that the company cannot comment on pending litigation, but they did offer us the following statement:

BMW has discovered that certain 2007-2010 model year vehicles may experience partial failure of the High-Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) which is part of the direct fuel injection system on certain 1 Series, 3 Series, 5 Series, X6, and Z4 models. Specifically, vehicles powered by the twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-6 engine (internally dubbed "N54") are affected. Symptoms include long engine starting times and sometimes the illumination of the Service Engine Soon lamp in the instrument cluster, possibly accompanied by reduced engine performance (Fail Safe operation).

As a result, BMW will extend the emissions warranty coverage period to 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first, on affected vehicles in all 50 States. If the HPFP fails during the extended warranty coverage period, BMW will replace it with a newer-production version. Customers who experience long starting times or notice the Service Engine Soon lamp should contact an Authorized BMW Center to schedule a service appointment. Customers with further questions should contact BMW Customer Relations at 1-800-831-1117 or email customer.relations@bmwna.com.

It's worth noting that while BMW acknowledges problems with the N54's fuel pump and is offering affected owners an extended emissions warranty, the additional coverage does not appear to extend to other areas of the engine. In regards to the turbocharger, BMW spokesman Matthew Russell says that:

The turbo complaint is much less widespread and we have had a service bulletin in place since 2007 to address it. In an effort to address specific noise concerns, BMW updated the turbocharged engine software on 335i/xi and 535i/xi models built from June 2006 through March 2008. The updated software causes a small amount of increased "turbocharger lag" under certain circumstances and, while not substantial, the lag may be perceptible to the most sensitive BMW drivers. X6, 135i, and 3 Series/5 Series vehicles from March 2008 production onward are not affected."
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well, those of you guys clamoring for a suit, here you go.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    By the way, that law firm is the real deal:

$87 Million Class Action Settlement for UPS Drivers

KCR served as co-lead counsel on behalf of 23,600 UPS truck drivers who allege they were illegally denied meal periods and rest breaks required under California wage and hour law. The case settled in 2006 for an $87 million cash payment and other benefits to the class valued at more than $4 million.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'll be contacting them shortly

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bought time.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    beat me to it...yeah.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    can i get a check out of this deal?

i guess the lawyers will get at least a 3rd and after expenses, they'll split it up among millions of people.

maybe I'll get some beer money in 2012

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lol unintended acceleration...you mean DEceleration.

Tryin to make a Prius out of a BMW I see.

And of course, it only happens in none other but the liberal wacko place of California. Blame it on the libs..tryin to get free money for nothing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    Tryin to make a Prius out of a BMW I see.
    Exactly, and that was one hell of a settlement wasn't it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Exactly, and that was one hell of a settlement wasn't it?

Yep. And Almost 2 months later Toyota announced that there was NOTHING wrong with the Prius. THey had independent studies done on it and nothing was wrong. They proved that the person who started this all actually mashed the gas pedal instead of the brake...which I have seen a lot of old people do.

There was a guy who tried getting in on it too with his Prius saying it wouldnt stop, called the cops and led them on a high speed chase while they were shouting him instructions to get it to slow down..all the while hes screaming 'Im holding the brake down and its not stopping!!'

They later found out that it was all an act...he was in over his head in his mortage and his car payments so he was trying to sue Toyota and win out a big settlement to make ends meet. He ended up going to jail instead and losing everything.

People like him dont even need to be sentenced. You should just get executed for being a complete moron.

A car is never designed where its brakes cant overpower it and bring it to a stop...plus with all the electronics involved, if you try so much as pushing the gas and brake at the same time it cuts the throttle.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    They later found out that it was all an act...he was in over his head in his mortage and his car payments so he was trying to sue Toyota and win out a big settlement to make ends meet. He ended up going to jail instead and losing everything.
    Good, the justice system works sometimes. That is a crazy story though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i truly hope some good comes out of this. i've read the horror stories for a couple years now...and unfortunately...it's in the back of my mind every time i start the car. Click here to enlarge

but i still enjoy driving this car....so much that i can't bring myself to get rid of it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^ +1 to all of that

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    and this were to ever European kids, I think there is also demand in Germany and Spain on this issue

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Your brakes overpower your car by about 5 fold. I already did the calculation once, there is about 2500 hp in the BMW brakes. Which means, if you stand on the brake pedal you would need at least 2500 hp to keep the car moving at a constant velocity let alone accelerate.

The guy in the prius should be banned from driving for the rest of his life, I mean wheelchairs too.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My computer was updated also , but then the hpfp was changed aswell a month after , that means they lowered my hp ???????????

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by n54BoostOnCoke Click here to enlarge
    My computer was updated also , but then the hpfp was changed aswell a month after , that means they lowered my hp ???????????
    Not necessarily. Often times they are just updating i-drive programming as well as updating the ecu to make it harder to tune.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    not sure if this is related at all, but...

as i mentioned in another thread, I've been trying to find out the details of a new software recall or bulletin that my service rep informed me about.

I would just go get it done, but I don't quite trust them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e92 Click here to enlarge
    not sure if this is related at all, but...

as i mentioned in another thread, I've been trying to find out the details of a new software recall or bulletin that my service rep informed me about.

I would just go get it done, but I don't quite trust them.
    You might want to directly call and ask an SA.

They will try to force newer software on you but I like to know what the upgrades entail before accepting them.