Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Thumbs up M3 Storm Motorwerks Illuminated SMG Paddles Review

I thought it was about time I'd post up my review of the Storm Motorwerks Illuminated SMG Shifter Paddles.

I know Bilal from SM since 2012 and he is has an awesome talent of making brushed aluminum and Ti coated goodies for BMWs. I first got his Illuminated Sat NAV Knobs in Ti and then the SMG Gator Ring in Ti to Match. Since then I started bugging him about doing some Paddles for us SMG folk.

Now, The Illumination for the paddles does not require any external power source so no need for any wiring. Since the illumination is not with LEDs but using glass vials with self powered illuminating material - the light is a subtle glow rather than a sharp distracting light allowing you to maintain focus on the road. The light itself is amber in color to match the E46 M3 dash.

Since the vials are glass and have a thickness - the + sign is achieved using one vial behind the other. Although at angles the rear vial may not be seen - when in use on the steering wheel, the paddles are facing the driver head-on and both vials are perfectly visible. More importantly, at night, the illumination is clear and uniform forming the + symbol beautifully.

Here is a cool video from their site and a link to the paddles on their site:

http://www.storm-motorwerks.com/inte...w/smg_paddles/

I received my Storm Ti SMG Illuminated Paddles on 28 Dec 2013 and started to take some pics....

Un-boxing and some detailed shots

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Installation and comparison with OEM Paddles...

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Day time installed pics....

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Night Time Installed pics...
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

First impressions while driving are that I don't have tor each for the paddles any more. I know that sounds weird but with the neorprene backing the paddles are a light touch away and a tactile feel no matter what the ambient temperature is.

I absolutely love the extra padding and feel while shifting. Also the illuminated + and - signs are cool and match beautifully with the OEM orange interior and gauge cluster lighting.

As I mentioned earlier I have some other interior bits from STORM and here are some pics I took today

My Storm SMG Gaiter Ring in Ti:

Click here to enlarge

http://www.storm-motorwerks.com/interior/bmw/smg_ring/

My Storm Illuminated Sat Nav knobs in Ti:
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

http://www.storm-motorwerks.com/inte.../sat_nav_knob/

All i have to say is STORM MOTORWERKS Customers service is amazing and so are the beautiful parts they make. Thank you Bilal for listening to your customers suggestions.

There is so much more to come from Storm and I just cant wait to have some new goodies for my car.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Looks great!

I actually *just* ran across these guys on IG yesterday and placed an order for their V1 shift knob in brushed aluminum to replace my BMW Performance knob. Really digging their products, i wish they had radio knobs for the E9x chassis.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    If my car was an smg car I would be rocking these.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Looks great!

I actually *just* ran across these guys on IG yesterday and placed an order for their V1 shift knob in brushed aluminum to replace my BMW Performance knob. Really digging their products, i wish they had radio knobs for the E9x chassis.
    I had a V1 and I've got a V2 now. Absolutely love them. This thread has reminded me to order the e-brake handle now too.
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Looks great!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    If my car was an smg car I would be rocking these.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idnan Click here to enlarge
    I had a V1 and I've got a V2 now. Absolutely love them. This thread has reminded me to order the e-brake handle now too.
    Thanks guys. Enjoy your STORM products.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Very well detailed review Ejaz!
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Very well detailed review Ejaz!
    Cheers bro
    Click here to enlarge