Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

2008 BMW 535i hard start problem

I have a 2008 535i 6MT with about 65k miles on it. It's equipped only with DCI and Procede. I've had this car for a while now. I can't recall exactly when this issue started but I'm getting a hard start issue with the car. It cranks for a few seconds and will start 90% of the time. 10% of the time it'll stop cranking and I'll have to restart to go. It will start almost right up when this happens. I replaced the spark plugs and coil packs about 3k miles ago but the problem persists. I know this cars had a fuel pump recall which extended the warranty. I was told by the dealership that the replacement had been performed already. My questions are:
    1. Does this sound like a fuel pump issue?
    2. Will my DCI and Procede void the extended warranty on it if I take it in for replacement?
    3. If they decide to bone me and charge for the replacement, is there an aftermarket upgrade that I can take this opportunity to perform?
    Thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think it's the HPFP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 88irocvert Click here to enlarge
    1. Does this sound like a fuel pump issue?
    It does.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135idct Click here to enlarge
    I think it's the HPFP

+1
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for your replies. I had read there were no available upgrades for the HPFP but I hadn't caught up in a few months. I thought by now there would be one for sure. As to my other question, I guess it depends how "dickysh" a certain service department is...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Did you figure it out yet?
    08 535i 6MT - JB4 G5 ISO - Luke performance flash - E40 & BMS 100% Meth - AR design catless DP - ETS 5" intercooler - BMS DCI - BMS OCC - ER chargepipe - HKS BOV - K-sport coilovers - UUC evo SSK - CDV deleted - ACS spoiler - Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not to a certainty. My car has the tail light recall and I've been waiting for two weeks for a call back that they have the part in stock. I'm going to take the opportunity to ask about the HPFP.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    UPDATE: or not
    I took my car in for the tail light recall and some maintenance. They checked the codes but said there were too many and cleared them for free. They instructed me to bring the car back if I got any more codes. I haven't gotten any so far but now my Dynamic Drive warning come on more often, a couple days ago I got a TPMS message where ALL my tires were underinflated, the low key battery warning appears every once in a while and the hard start problem persists sporadically. I now suspect my battery is going and plan to take it in for replacement next week.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Another update: I took off my Procede because I was getting another issue and the problem went away immediately. I think the power "jump" that the Procede uses is what actually causes the hard start problem. I recently setup an old Windows XP laptop I had lying around in order to attempt to diagnose better some issues with the car and I've had no hard start or errors since. All that being said, I did have to change a coil pack on one of my cylinders so there's no way of telling if that was the hard start issue until I drive a few more days.