Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    647
    Rep Points
    731.8
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No

    E63 AMG S vs M6 gran coupe vs Jag XFRS

    Drag race at 12:55

    ///M5 LCI
    "It's like the F10 is the 911 Turbo to the E60's GT3" -Pistonheads (M5 feature)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,345
    Rep Points
    32,760.8
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No

    What happens when you line up a W212 E63 AMG S, M6 Gran Coupe, and Jaguar XFR-S for a drag rice? Watch and find out

    Here are three of the most powerful luxury sport sedans off the showroom floor one can purchase today. Now you may be asking, where is the Audi RS6/RS7 in this comparison? Oddly enough its omission makes sense as the E63 AMG S is only available for sale in the United Kingdom as a rear wheel drive car. This is in stark contrast to how the W212 E63 AMG is sold in the United States which is only in 4Matic all wheel drive form whether it be the standard E63 or the S model.

    Hey, you make sense of it. All the sedans in the video are rear wheel drive so it is somewhat of a fair game in a drag race. If you want to skip straight to the race go to the 12:55 mark in the video below.

    Here is how the cars stack up on paper:

    E6 AMG S: 585 horsepower 5.5 liter twin turbo M157 V8, MCT automatic, 4067 pound curb weight
    M6 Grand Coupe: 560 horsepower 4.4 liter twin turbo S63TU V8, DCT dual clutch, 4299 pound curb weight
    Jaguar XFR-S: 550 horsepower 5.0 liter supercharged V8, ZF automatic, 4380 pound curb weight

    So the Jaguar is the heaviest and the least powerful. The weight for the E63 AMG S is hard to believe as that is roughly a 400 pound difference between it and the 4Matic 63 AMG S models tested in the United States. We do not put too much faith in Drive's weight testing procedures as they are likely quoting given weights.

    Now Chris Harris takes these all out on the track but it's wet and provides no lap times so it amounts to nothing more than him babbling on and on about how they drift and feel. He actually even calls this almost irrelevant himself making for the most accurate piece of performance analysis he has ever done.

    The M6 just flat out pulls away from the others. It's the fastest car in the comparison and that is impressive considering the raw muscle of the E63 AMG S M157 is routed to the rear wheels and it isn't carrying the 4Matic weight. The Jaguar lags a bit behind the other two but is obviously quite quick itself.

    What were the times and trap speeds? Well, Drive did not provide them but at least provided some acceleration figures:

    Click here to enlarge

    This is a victory due to the M6's transmission and of course its use in combination with the excellent S63TU V8. If you are not a believer in the dual clutch performance advantage and think Mercedes AMG has BMW beat in performance simply due to more displacement, guess again.

    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,930
    Rep Points
    921.6
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Loved the last M6, this one is no different. Not sure why they made a sedan though...why not just make an M7? And wouldn't the M5 be the competitor to the E-class? Still though, awesome car, and love the interior
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

    Click here to enlarge

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,345
    Rep Points
    32,760.8
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Because they needed a four-door coupe to compete with the A7 and CLS.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    647
    Rep Points
    731.8
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8



    Yes Reputation No
    They do a second drag race at 14:33... This time the AMG S gets a jump and the M6 reels it in, really shows the power of the M6 in that drag race!

    http://youtu.be/7-yCupxxErM?t=14m32s

    Benz has to do something with there tranny choices, or upgrade there DCT to handle the tq and power of these engines. Hell, even a SMG tranny shifts faster then MCT and thats 8 yr old tech!
    ///M5 LCI
    "It's like the F10 is the 911 Turbo to the E60's GT3" -Pistonheads (M5 feature)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,930
    Rep Points
    921.6
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Because they needed a four-door coupe to compete with the A7 and CLS.
    Right, but wouldn't the M7 be that? I guess I see your point, I like your comparisons better than the ones they used.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

    Click here to enlarge

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,345
    Rep Points
    32,760.8
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    Right, but wouldn't the M7 be that? I guess I see your point, I like your comparisons better than the ones they used.
    Well the M7 would be based on the 7-Series if we follow BMW naming conventions and that means it has to be a sedan. Even numbers are coupes. So it has to be an M6.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    623
    Rep Points
    821.6
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    Right, but wouldn't the M7 be that? I guess I see your point, I like your comparisons better than the ones they used.
    Chris Harris says in the video he chose cars that don't compete directly on purpose to cause more of discussion about the comparison. Controversy sells...

    Click here to enlarge

    /
    //A L E X A N D R E 1983 Photography///ALX1983.COM

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,930
    Rep Points
    921.6
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Well the M7 would be based on the 7-Series if we follow BMW naming conventions and that means it has to be a sedan. Even numbers are coupes. So it has to be an M6.
    Right, that's what I'm saying, leave the M6, then make an M version of the 7 series to compete with those sedans, a 4-door 6 series doesn't make sense.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

    Click here to enlarge

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,345
    Rep Points
    32,760.8
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    Right, that's what I'm saying, leave the M6, then make an M version of the 7 series to compete with those sedans, a 4-door 6 series doesn't make sense.
    No because an M7 would compete with the S8 and S63 AMG. The M6 slots against the CLS63 AMG and RS7.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,930
    Rep Points
    921.6
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedLimit? Click here to enlarge
    Chris Harris says in the video he chose cars that don't compete directly on purpose to cause more of discussion about the comparison. Controversy sells...
    Oh, gotcha, I skipped through, I'm sure this video could have been edited down to 5 minutes easily. That's usually my breaking point of whether or not I'll watch a video all the way through.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

    Click here to enlarge

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,345
    Rep Points
    32,760.8
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedLimit? Click here to enlarge
    Chris Harris says in the video he chose cars that don't compete directly on purpose to cause more of discussion about the comparison. Controversy sells...
    I don't understand why they give him these cars to test.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,930
    Rep Points
    921.6
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    No because an M7 would compete with the S8 and S63 AMG. The M6 slots against the CLS63 AMG and RS7.
    Ok, I hear ya, too many choices lol, I miss when BMW didn't feel the need to have a so many different "steps" in their lineup like MB. I mean besides styling what's the different in a CLS63 and an S63?
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

    Click here to enlarge

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    623
    Rep Points
    821.6
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I don't understand why they give him these cars to test.
    Because he's so popular now...even Ferrari sent him an F12 just for the purpose of him to drift around a track! And this is after they said he'd never be allowed to drive a Ferrari from their press fleet again after Chris accused them of using "optimized" press cars.

    Click here to enlarge

    /
    //A L E X A N D R E 1983 Photography///ALX1983.COM

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,345
    Rep Points
    32,760.8
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    Ok, I hear ya, too many choices lol, I miss when BMW didn't feel the need to have a so many different "steps" in their lineup like MB. I mean besides styling what's the different in a CLS63 and an S63?
    Well the weight and suspension.

    BMW M got watered down. They decided to chase the dollar. That is also why I don't respect them as much any longer.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,345
    Rep Points
    32,760.8
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedLimit? Click here to enlarge
    Because he's so popular now...even Ferrari sent him an F12 just for the purpose of him to drift around a track! And this is after they said he'd never be allowed to drive a Ferrari from their press fleet again after Chris accused them of using "optimized" press cars.
    Even after all that $#@! he talked on Ferrari?

    I don't understand why he's popular though. The first 10 minutes of the video are basically worthless. It's like listening to a girl talk about how she feels about cars. Why sit through that? Show me what they do.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    623
    Rep Points
    821.6
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Even after all that $#@! he talked on Ferrari?

    I don't understand why he's popular though. The first 10 minutes of the video are basically worthless. It's like listening to a girl talk about how she feels about cars. Why sit through that? Show me what they do.
    I agree with you totally but what I've noticed is that people like reviews of guys that can slide a car around and really push it to it's limits. I like his work but in reality there's only so many roads we can do that safely if we have the skill for it and track day's aren't as popular here as they are in Europe where you can go to places like Spa & the Nurburgring. Another plus for Chris is the fact he's the only guy over there besides Auto Motor Sport to provide hard numbers as opposed to purely subjective reviews like most Euro magazines.

    Click here to enlarge

    /
    //A L E X A N D R E 1983 Photography///ALX1983.COM

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,743
    Rep Points
    2,087.9
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Yes Reputation No
    M6GC being quicker is combination of DCT and that power is underrated big time by BMW. Plus the E63 isn't as light as Chris says.

    Still not use to the Benz's being touted with the best steering and the BMW's being the fastest in a straight line.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,345
    Rep Points
    32,760.8
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedLimit? Click here to enlarge
    Another plus for Chris is the fact he's the only guy over there besides Auto Motor Sport to provide hard numbers as opposed to purely subjective reviews like most Euro magazines.
    For the most part he omits numbers and even when they are included they are kind of lame like this with 0-60 and 0-100 numbers instead of trap speed, 60-130, dyno, etc.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,345
    Rep Points
    32,760.8
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
    M6GC being quicker is combination of DCT and that power is underrated big time by BMW. Plus the E63 isn't as light as Chris says.

    Still not use to the Benz's being touted with the best steering and the BMW's being the fastest in a straight line.
    It's true that the S63TU is underrated. It's a pretty damn good motor.

    I don't know where the hell he got those weight figures from but that's another reason I can't respect his reviews. Take the cars on scales, weigh them out, and show us. WTF.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    623
    Rep Points
    821.6
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    For the most part he omits numbers and even when they are included they are kind of lame like this with 0-60 and 0-100 numbers instead of trap speed, 60-130, dyno, etc.
    Lol, like I said...for European standards! I like his videos but I get more from Motor Trend as they provide more concrete numbers...even dyno tests!

    Click here to enlarge

    /
    //A L E X A N D R E 1983 Photography///ALX1983.COM

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,345
    Rep Points
    32,760.8
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    MotorTrend's numbers are better generally. I definitely prefer their data.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,121
    Rep Points
    965.2
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5soko Click here to enlarge
    They do a second drag race at 14:33... This time the AMG S gets a jump and the M6 reels it in, really shows the power of the M6 in that drag race!

    http://youtu.be/7-yCupxxErM?t=14m32s

    Benz has to do something with there tranny choices, or upgrade there DCT to handle the tq and power of these engines. Hell, even a SMG tranny shifts faster then MCT and thats 8 yr old tech!
    The BMW shift time quote for the SMG III isn't the whole story. It only tells the time of the actual gear change but doesn't take into account the time for the clutch being let in , then the gear change, and finally the clutch out. Which is total time of torque loss which should really be counted. The m5/m6 have been tested with equipment to have a total shift time of almost 200 milliseconds.

    The mct in the AMG's has a TOTAL shift time In under 100 milliseconds. I've had a lot of seat time in my cousins bolt on m6 and extended seat time in my fathers murcielago with e gear. The MCT shifts considerably quicker then both. In both the SMG and E gear you feel the loss of torque as your head goes forward and then back as torque comes back. This feeling is almost non existinct in the MCT. I need to give you a ride in it to feel it and now with the weistec valve body/ TCU tune I did it's crazy fast.
    @Sticky also look at other recent test you've put up like the motor trend test. The Cls 63 and Audi rs7 both did 0-100 in 8 flat quicker then the BMW here. The Benz was .2 slower to 60 then the rs7 and still made it to 100 in the same time while out trapping it by 2 mph showing it's faster uptop. The 4matic has shown to be faster the rwd Benz can't put that torque down to the pavement with 285's

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,345
    Rep Points
    32,760.8
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ezec63 Click here to enlarge
    The Cls 63 and Audi rs7 both did 0-100 in 8 flat quicker then the BMW here.
    Because of all wheel drive.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ezec63 Click here to enlarge
    The 4matic has shown to be faster the rwd Benz can't put that torque down to the pavement with 285's
    Quicker, not faster. From a roll the rear wheel drive car should win every time.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,121
    Rep Points
    965.2
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Because of all wheel drive.



    Quicker, not faster. From a roll the rear wheel drive car should win every time.
    100% correct just providing something else to think about. I'd love to see the rs7 vs m6 vs 4matic e63 s go at it quarter mile and roll on racing. I wouldn't count out the Benz or Audi they have monster power but if the m6 had the competition package as it should id bet my money on it winning the roll race.
    surprisingly it looks like the Audi 4.0 has the best bolt on potential.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •