Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

BMW M10 Turbo running E85 by hsvturbo - 8.53 @ 87 1/8

This is pretty impressive. Car is a 1984 318i with stock bottom end, stock ecu, running 15 psi. Apparently this is good for around 248 whp:

Some more details:

Click here to enlarge

The first project completed is a 1984 318i BMW with a 1.8L M10 engine. A Turbo Kit was custom fitted, to position the turbo below the valve cover. To save cost and time, the system is using the stock ECU system, thereby eliminating the need for aftermarket Engine Control Unit (ECU).

This system was first tested at 10.5 psi boost at the Huntsville Drags (a 1/8 mile track). The best time that night was 9.2 sec @ 79.9 mph on 7-16-10. This time isn’t bad considering that the stock 318i has a 1/4 mile time of 18.3 @ 74 mph.

The 318i BMW turbo kit’s success in both cost and installation time is the fact that the system did not use an intercooler or after market ECU. An intercooler would be beneficial if you run gas, however this 318i BMW Turbo was converted to 100% E85.
    Here is the video of the 1/8 mile passes:

Think of it this way, this car is actually faster and quicker than Ronin's 335d and about even with armyav8tor's E92 M3 DCT Click here to enlarge

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    An intercooler would be beneficial even on e85, not sure why he/they said that. Impressive though, it runs the 1/8 faster than what it ran stock in the 1/4! Probably cheap to build as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    An intercooler would be beneficial even on e85, not sure why he/they said that. Impressive though, it runs the 1/8 faster than what it ran stock in the 1/4! Probably cheap to build as well.
    I think E85 may allow higher boost without an intercooler than gas would. Yes, very impressive and I'm trying to find out the price on the build.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Received a response from the owner, thought it would be best to simply let him state it in his own words:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HSVturbo
    Thanks for the possitive feed back on my dyno pull. The cost of the car and turbo system was next to nothing ($2000). Paid $600 for the car and put about $1130 building the turbo kit, not including the new clutch and pressure plate. Most of the stuff I bought off .....ebay. Built the exhaust manifold and secondary fuel rail myself, had a friend tig weld those for me. I already have a couple of people interested in the exhaust manifold for their bmw's. Thats what I want to concentrate on once racing season is over. I haven't settled on the price of the exhaust manifold, but I think it will be between 250 to 400 USD.

I looked at your post on bimmerboost.com, thanks for the plug. Let "SlicktopTTZ" know he misread what I said about the intercooler installation. I stated or ment to say that "Cost & Installation time was reduced by not installing intercooler". I guess my wording isn't the best, I will need to fix that on my webpage.. Take care...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That looks like a fun little ride.

How exactly did he tune it?
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge

Stock ecu, not sure what he did to tune.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wouldnt be suprised if he stuck a fuel nozzle on the charge pipe with a boost sensing mechanical FMU and called it a day.

I forgot how much I love old cars.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Hey guys, just joined the forum and yes, I am the owner of the 84 bmw in this discussion.

DBFIU
    Wouldnt be suprised if he stuck a fuel nozzle on the charge pipe with a boost sensing mechanical FMU and called it a day.
    Yes, that is basically what I did. I built a secondary fuel rail in the charge pipe before the throttle body that containes 4; 24lb injectors. I have 3 pressure switches set at 3#, 8# & 12#. Originally, I was going to hook them up using mosfet switches activated off the primary injection ciurcut. Once I got the turbo on, I couldn't get the mosfet's to work, so I hooked them direct and haven't looked back. As one guy on e30tech stated, "Stick a fire hose in and crack up the boost, I like that".

DBFIU

I tune based upon boost. At 8 lbs boost, I only had two secondary injectors on. As boost was increased, I added more injectors and/or add more fuel pressure. I added a secondary fuel pump, so I can go up to 200 psi if needed, 15.5 lb boost ~ 75 psi fuel pressure. Obviously, when ever I change the boost on the internal waste gate, I always monitor O2. Start out Rich, and then I can always turn the fuel pressure down.

I think E85 may allow higher boost without an intercooler than gas would. Yes, very impressive and I'm trying to find out the price on the build.
    From my experience with e85, you can run low boost without an intercooler. Obviously, a cooler denser air charge is going to give you greater HP.

Anyway that's kinda where I am at on this project, and it seems to be working for me. I have a build thread on e30tech if you want to look at it:
    http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96376

I am heading back out to the strip hopefully this weekend with some new ammo. I have been crossing the line right at red line, so I plan to buy some taller tires to see if it help.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hsvturbo Click here to enlarge
    I tune based upon boost. At 8 lbs boost, I only had two secondary injectors on. As boost was increased, I added more injectors and/or add more fuel pressure.
    It sounds to me like you are simply adding enough to fuel to make sure it doesn't go lean as you add boost. Simple, neat, and effective. I wish new BMW's were this simple.

From my experience with e85, you can run low boost without an intercooler. Obviously, a cooler denser air charge is going to give you greater HP.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

I am heading back out to the strip hopefully this weekend with some new ammo. I have been crossing the line right at red line, so I plan to buy some taller tires to see if it help.
    Please keep up us updated.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good work! I like simple and reliable, and thats exactly what you are doing. A nice fat A/F ratio to keep things healthy.

Respect.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    An update to last night at the drags:
    Click here to enlarge
    The track was very difficult to hook to last night. Other drivers were complaining of this too as compared to last week. We have had some cooler weather up here in Hunstville.

I not only had problems hooking in first gear, but also in second gear. I went with some 205/70 R14's street tires, taller from last week's run, had 25 miles on them so they still have a somewhat rounded tread on them.

Boost at ~16.5 psi. First time out on the new tires and Boost pressure, so still need to work out some kinks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Congrats on the new personal bests, that car has to surprise people.

Do you plan on running the 1/4?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks. Not sure when I will be able to get to the 1/4 track. Still have some bugs to work out with the new tire combo. Once I get that worked out and the many home projects done, I would like to get some 1/4 mile times. Keep you all updated...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cool car and nice times. Welcome
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Hey guys,
    Been busy working and working on the car. Decided to pull the head and replace the head gasket and head bolts. I was experiencing head lift under boost, causing the radiator fluid to be pushed out. I guess after 200K miles on the engine, i should have retorqued the head bolts. Had a spare gasket that cam with the car and bought some Grade 12.9 bolts from McMaster carr so decided to do it. Total cost of the repare was around $38 for the bolts and $8 for WD40 to clean all the road grime from the engine.

Anyway, back at the drags at 16.5 psi boost and posted my best time:
    60' 2.0426 sec
    330' 5.5558 sec
    660' 8.3809 sec @ 88.03 mph.

I was perty stoked. Been comparing my time sheet with other cars to see what I could expect out of her in the 1/4 mile and I believe I might be around a ~12.80 sec 1/4 time, (comparing time sheet with Blaizon on the 1/4 drag times). Blaizon did the 1/8 mile at 8.420 @ 88.93 mph.
    12.80 @ 111.85 MPH 60' 2.12 (Blaizon) E92 335i 6 speed, JB3 2.0 map 7, dci & 100 oct. SLIP
    Anyway, not going to set any records in this forum, but it sure is fun. Cheers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey guys,
    Been busy working and working on the car. Decided to pull the head and replace the head gasket and head bolts. I was experiencing head lift under boost, causing the radiator fluid to be pushed out. I guess after 200K miles on the engine, i should have retorqued the head bolts. Had a spare gasket that cam with the car and bought some Grade 12.9 bolts from McMaster carr so decided to do it. Total cost of the repare was around $38 for the bolts and $8 for WD40 to clean all the road grime from the engine.

Anyway, back at the drags at 16.5 psi boost and posted my best time:
    60' 2.0426 sec
    330' 5.5558 sec
    660' 8.3809 sec @ 88.03 mph.

I was perty stoked. Been comparing my time sheet with other cars to see what I could expect out of her in the 1/4 mile and I believe I might be around a ~12.80 sec 1/4 time, (comparing time sheet with Blaizon on the 1/4 drag times). Blaizon did the 1/8 mile at 8.420 @ 88.93 mph.
    Anyway, not going to set any records in this forum, but it sure is fun. Cheers
    Sure, you might not set any records but in reality you have the best performance per $ ratio of anyone in the BMW world, that is saying something.

Really, really impressive. $38 to fix and a motor with 200k+ on it running times similar to modded 335's, incredible.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Amazing, 38 dollars to repair...

I just noticed you said huntsville, i was just there for work last month. I went to the space center, it was really nice Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Im not a big fan of the m10. BUT, bravo to them. One cannot complain about 250whp out of 26 year old motor.
    This is my signature... Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Im not a big fan of the m10
    Well this is my first turbo project ever, so I figure I might as well learn on something I could afford to fix if needed.

I am hoping to push the motor / boost even more. My limit right now is fuel (e85). I only have enough pressure/fuel flow for 17 to 18 lbs of boost. My future plans are to add an additional fuel cell to the trunk where I can run a methanol injection system so I can push it up to the 22 lbs of boost.

The meth system I am thinking of will pump approx 96 lb/hr of methanol under boost. Should be a real kick.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Man i feel like an idiot. I was in huntsville about 3 weeks ago, I could have seen your car in person.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    hey next time your in Huntsville. My car is a real sleeper nothing really to look at, but thats cool to me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I doubt i will ever go back to huntsville, i went to Wyle labs to test a peice of equipment. It was a one time thing Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Hey guys, just wanted to update my 2010 times. Did a 8.29 seconds in the 1/8 at 89.7 mph last weekend. And finally I got below a 2 sec 0-60 ft. Check out the youtube video, the second video clip the car in the left lane pulled a 1.41 sec 0-60 ft vs my 1.9985 sec. But hey I still won, he redlighted lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^ You are really impressing with that setup. Think you will be able to crack 90 in the 1/8?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Thanks, maybe next year. Still planning more boost and a methonal injection system plus slicks. Goal next year is to dip into the 7seconds and also run the 1/4 mile. I believe my gearing will be just right for the 1/8 and 1/4 mile. Hope to be posted up on the 1/4 drag times in the forum,, maybe a low 12 second???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast