Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    the car is just so small... too small... ive owned two bc i like them so much and sold both out of frustration of how small it is.

With the top up I literally hit my head on the softtop, the hard tops sit even lower, and im only 6'2" .... the passenger seat is a joke , my knees hit the dash, and the amount of room you have to recline your seat if your tall and lead leg room is dismal.

if you turbo it to take it to the track, sunday drives maybe its livable over 6 feet tall but its just so small. The tranny is amazing but arm room is another issue im elbow to elbow with any passenger in one and my other arm hits the drivers door. lol

but there is no other car that is as sports car oriented, convertible, with a 4cyl that gets anywhere near the performance of a properly boosted s2k
    I've been in one once or twice but it was a long time ago. I don't remember it being this cramped but that was back in high school.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

The turbo flows roughly 75lb/min so a good guess is 750HP max. Also looks like 40psi is at about the edge of its efficiency range. I'd say 700HP should be no problem for the turbo as long as the rest of the setup can support it.

Click here to enlarge
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, DCI, 7" FMIC, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Spool should be great as well!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

I'd guess spool should be possible by 4800rpms depending on the setup. I'd be a little surprised to see it hit peak tq before that. That's still pretty awesome for a 700hp Turbo.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, DCI, 7" FMIC, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    I'd guess spool should be possible by 4800rpms depending on the setup. I'd be a little surprised to see it hit peak tq before that. That's still pretty awesome for a 700hp Turbo.
    Probably closer to 4300. Just comparing it to Precision 6466 spool which is usually around 4800 rpm on this motor. I know I'll be happy to spool before 4500RPM with my HTA 3586r, I hope anyway.

EDIT: Maybe @Terry@BMS can shed some light on this, not sure if he's done much else since initially posted logs and numbers to work on spooling that 6466 he's got.

We need some better tuning/hardware option for launching at the track.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

The GTX turbos spool a little slower than the HTA so I'd guess the GTX 3582 should spool around the same or 100rpm faster than an HTA86r

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

You're right though. Both should spool faster than a 6466 if all else is equal.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    You're right though. Both should spool faster than a 6466 if all else is equal.
    Yeah, here's Terry's log of the 6466 setup looks like reaching full boost by ~4400rpm? is that right? That seems sooner than I had thought, by a lot.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, here's Terry's log of the 6466 setup looks like reaching full boost by ~4400rpm? is that right? That seems sooner than I had thought, by a lot.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/attachmen...1&d=1385919826
    Not sure why everyone is looking to Terrys very small sample size of 6466 pulls to judge how the turbo performs on the N54, the Vishnu guys ran that turbo a lot when they were hell bent on keeping up with the stage 3 car, and have tons of logs and dyno pulls with it, go take a look at their threads for a lot more info on this particular turbo. The spool is right around 4400 which is impressive, it spooled the same as their 6262 which honestly doesn't make much sense, but it the logs back it up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

The 6466 gets moving nicely around 4200-4400rpm for us but it's a good 1000rpm too late for my taste. Even if it does wind up making 700rw+ at higher boost levels. I'd rather make 600rw and be able to use it. Hoping the 5862 TS is more my style. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Not sure why everyone is looking to Terrys very small sample size of 6466 pulls to judge how the turbo performs on the N54, the Vishnu guys ran that turbo a lot when they were hell bent on keeping up with the stage 3 car, and have tons of logs and dyno pulls with it, go take a look at their threads for a lot more info on this particular turbo. The spool is right around 4400 which is impressive, it spooled the same as their 6262 which honestly doesn't make much sense, but it the logs back it up.
    I wouldn't even know where to look to find Vishnu stuff, I suppose on e90post, but not too familiar with that forum. The 6466 is a completely upgraded design, it has a different compressor wheel and I believe turbine wheel as well.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Probably closer to 4300. Just comparing it to Precision 6466 spool which is usually around 4800 rpm on this motor. I know I'll be happy to spool before 4500RPM with my HTA 3586r, I hope anyway.

EDIT: Maybe @Terry@BMS can shed some light on this, not sure if he's done much else since initially posted logs and numbers to work on spooling that 6466 he's got.

We need some better tuning/hardware option for launching at the track.
    I posted lots of various spool logs. Too lazy to go find them now. But something like 20psi @ 4200rpm IIRC.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I posted lots of various spool logs. Too lazy to go find them now. But something like 20psi @ 4200rpm IIRC.
    That's awesome, can't wait to see how my HTA3586r will spool then. Thanks for info guys.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Just to be clear, that was no way a knock on Terry, just saying if you want to see a larger sample size of the 6466 they ran it quite a bit, and posted quite a bit of data. And you can redesign a turbo but the laws of physics still come into play, you make things bigger they weigh more, takes more exhaust energy to move that extra mass, in this case, it seems the redesign was enough to get it so spool as fast as a the smaller turbo, impressive for sure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Just to be clear, that was no way a knock on Terry, just saying if you want to see a larger sample size of the 6466 they ran it quite a bit, and posted quite a bit of data. And you can redesign a turbo but the laws of physics still come into play, you make things bigger they weigh more, takes more exhaust energy to move that extra mass, in this case, it seems the redesign was enough to get it so spool as fast as a the smaller turbo, impressive for sure.
    Yeah, it really is, kinda makes the 6266 obsolete, except price point. I in no way would see that as a knock on Terry, I knew Vishnu and FFtec had lots of builds together, just no idea where I would find logs, especially since I know Shiv was shady about a lot of that stuff and what info he let out.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

That's awesome, can't wait to see how my HTA3586r will spool then. Thanks for info guys.
    I think you guys are being a little too optimistic, I would put money the HTA3586 spools the same as the 6466, the FP is a better turbo, but spool is going to be about the same.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

The 6466 gets moving nicely around 4200-4400rpm for us but it's a good 1000rpm too late for my taste. Even if it does wind up making 700rw+ at higher boost levels. I'd rather make 600rw and be able to use it. Hoping the 5862 TS is more my style. Click here to enlarge
    I think you are also being a little optimistic, the 5862 is only a tad smaller than the 6262 and we know how that turbo spools, we will see when you get it back, but it spooling 1000 RPM faster than the 6466 seems a little hopeful, you will prob pick 400-500 RPM spool

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Here is one of them. 4th gear 20psi @ 4000rpm and 24psi @ 4200rpm. 3rd gear was around 200rpm slower IIRC. The 6466 is an awesome turbo although I've not really been able to take advantage of the higher boost levels with it yet.

Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Here is one of them. 4th gear 20psi @ 4000rpm and 24psi @ 4200rpm. 3rd gear was around 200rpm slower IIRC.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/attach...1&d=1386558052
    Hey T, is that on the street or the dyno? Just curious

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Hey T, is that on the street or the dyno? Just curious
    That is a street log. Was fighting DTC as well as it was a bit damp out. I need to get out and take some new logs with the larger IC. Just been buried with other stuff. Hopefully next week.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

That is a street log. Was fighting DTC as well as it was a bit damp out. I need to get out and take some new logs with the larger IC. Just been buried with other stuff. Hopefully next week.
    Nice, yeah street logs are the real gauge of spool, when its nice and dry you can prob pick up a little bit more.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Nice, yeah street logs are the real gauge of spool, when its nice and dry you can prob pick up a little bit more.
    Yes the dynojet spools much slower so anyone should keep that in mind when comparing. Here are a couple dyno runs around the same time. Done in 5th gear w/ 3.46 gears. You can see spool up is a good 300-400rpm slower on the dynojet.

PS. Here is a dyno log form the same day, although a different run. IIRC 620whp. Over 20psi the car would consistently drop 50whp around 6000rpm and then recover it almost like a valve float situation. Hopefully the new build and head eliminated whatever issue was going on there as I couldn't find anything on the tuning end.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 01-18-2014 at 06:09 PM.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

I think you are also being a little optimistic, the 5862 is only a tad smaller than the 6262 and we know how that turbo spools, we will see when you get it back, but it spooling 1000 RPM faster than the 6466 seems a little hopeful, you will prob pick 400-500 RPM spool
    I know. But a guy can dream, right? Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

I know. But a guy can dream, right? Click here to enlarge
    Nothing wrong with dreaming...Click here to enlarge Still super curious to see how it spools with that TS manifold on there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

TS manifold? I don't know what the difference in spool will be, but I'm confident the HTA will spool at least a few hundred RPM quicker, hoping so anyway. Why wouldn't you think so? Just curious.

Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast