Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

PTF E45 Log - Datazap

I took a log this afternoon and to me, it looks clean with the exception of my LPFP. I really need to do something about this ASAP.

I have been experiencing rough cold starts for a while now whether I have 93 octane or E45 in the tank. Based on AFR's do any of you see anything that would point to injector issues on one bank or the other?

Thanks in advance!

http://datazap.me/u/jstang/ptf-e45-log?log=0&data=1-16
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Tuned Cobb Stage 2+ | H&R / Koni Sport | BBS LM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Everything looks good to me, with the exception of your fuel pump as you mentioned.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks. I have been holding out for a drop in LPFP upgrade but I may have to do it soon if I want to continue running E85. I heard a rumor that there could be one coming out soon.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JStang Click here to enlarge
    Thanks. I have been holding out for a drop in LPFP upgrade but I may have to do it soon if I want to continue running E85. I heard a rumor that there could be one coming out soon.
    Honestly you could probably do an oem replacement if you don't want to have to worry about it. I think the fuel pump sock gets clogged if you are running crap premium gas for a long time, mix some ethanol in and its going to release (read: Clean) all the crap that has been built up, which then clogs the filter. OEM pump has been solid for alot of guys on E50.

Are you ever planning on running full E85, or stronger than an E50 mix?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Honestly you could probably do an oem replacement if you don't want to have to worry about it. I think the fuel pump sock gets clogged if you are running crap premium gas for a long time, mix some ethanol in and its going to release (read: Clean) all the crap that has been built up, which then clogs the filter. OEM pump has been solid for alot of guys on E50.

Are you ever planning on running full E85, or stronger than an E50 mix?
    If I had a fuel pump that could handle it I would probably run a stronger mix.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you're already going to be in there pulling out the bucket and all that good stuff, may as well add another pump in series or however you would prefer it.

Log looks sharp outside of low pressure getting its ass kicked.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It never fails. I can have 0 timing corrections on cylinders 1-3 and 5, 6 but I always get small corrections on cylinder 4. Any reason for this?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I'd work on my 3d scalar a bit. I'd also pull the LPFP unit, see how the sock looks, and if it had a lot of lint like build up, see if I could clear some of it out with compressed air. Beyond that, I'd do a simple 255 inline upgrade to get those lpfp pressures back up. You're not logging HPFP (rail) pressures, I'd check those as well. Also don't see much point of logging req. boost abs without logging actual. Just sayin Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It never fails. I can have 0 timing corrections on cylinders 1-3 and 5, 6 but I always get small corrections on cylinder 4. Any reason for this?
    Both of my N54s are noisy in cylinder 5. With the location of our TB cyl 5 and 6 really get screwed, but sometimes the motor is just cranky in a certain cylinder. Your log is sharp, pump issues aside.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by THTF Click here to enlarge
    I'd work on my 3d scalar a bit. I'd also pull the LPFP unit, see how the sock looks, and if it had a lot of lint like build up, see if I could clear some of it out with compressed air. Beyond that, I'd do a simple 255 inline upgrade to get those lpfp pressures back up. You're not logging HPFP (rail) pressures, I'd check those as well. Also don't see much point of logging req. boost abs without logging actual. Just sayin Click here to enlarge
    First post. Here's some rep.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    First post. Here's some rep.
    We should all neg him for waiting this long to sign up for this forum. JK, I threw him some rep too.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    We should all neg him for waiting this long to sign up for this forum. JK, I threw him some rep too.
    I'd feel bad and just give him like +50. But f'ing with people is also fun. It's a constant emotional struggle on this forum.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    haha...thanks, now I can post pictures.

What yours trims look like...
    Click here to enlarge

LTFTs should be pegged at zero and I personally shoot for STFT between 5 and -5. But given this is "Datalog 10", I'm guessing you're still getting it dialed in.

And BS Sticky...I've read too many of your posts to actually believe you have a conscienceClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    And BS Sticky...I've read too many of your posts to actually believe you have a conscience
    I'm actually just a sophisticated bot. Incredible software logic if I do say so myself.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Click here to enlarge

LTFTs should be pegged at zero and I personally shoot for STFT between 5 and -5. But given this is "Datalog 10", I'm guessing you're still getting it dialed in.

And BS Sticky...I've read too many of your posts to actually believe you have a conscienceClick here to enlarge
    Would the trims have anything to do with my LPFP eating $hit?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Click here to enlarge

LTFTs don't necessarily need to be pegged at zero. They are long term fuel trims and normal operation is considered if they're within +/- 10%.

In this particular case there's clear evidence that LTFTs are just old and something changed in the meantime. With time I'd assume the DME would adapt them back towards zero due to STFTs under WOT being the inverse of them.

Personally, I'd suggest using INPA to reset lambda (fuel) adaptations first and relog.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge
    LTFTs don't necessarily need to be pegged at zero. They are long term fuel trims and normal operation is considered if they're within +/- 10%.

In this particular case there's clear evidence that LTFTs are just old and something changed in the meantime. With time I'd assume the DME would adapt them back towards zero due to STFTs under WOT being the inverse of them.

Personally, I'd suggest using INPA to reset lambda (fuel) adaptations first and relog.
    I had been running the 93 octane map for the past 3-4 tanks and threw some E85 in the tank last week. It may not be fully adapted yet.

Can I just reset adaptions through the AP or would I need INPA to do it properly?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I had been running the 93 octane map for the past 3-4 tanks and threw some E85 in the tank last week. It may not be fully adapted yet.

Can I just reset adaptions through the AP or would I need INPA to do it properly?
    You can try through the AP but I doubt it'll reset lambda adaptations as I vaguely remember it not working. I'd use INPA.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge

I have found that this is critical when switching between ethanol blends and pump gas. The DME really doesnt do a good job adapting between these fuel source changes, and unfortunately Cobb does not currently have the ability to reset the same adaptations that are available in INPA (I have requested Cobb add this, they said its on the already full plate...)

Luckily @JStang your trims arent that bad. Here is some logs a took of a friend car...

Prior to INPA adaptations reset. STFT's pegged at +34 (DME is adding as much fuel to its base calculations as it has authority for) but the AFR's are still lean. LTFT's are pulling fuel out (unk DME behavior)

http://datazap.me/u/lulzm3/e60-odd-f...-21&zoom=22-67

And here is a log after the adaptations were reset.

http://datazap.me/u/lulzm3/e60-post-...21&zoom=30-152

This particular car was previously running an E50 map. A week later we flashed it back to pump 93 to start tuning it for Meth (added an HSF4). Car runs great now.

I really think that anyone who switches between ethanol and non ethanol maps should do the INPA reset between map changes, its a good practice to get in the habit of.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow. That made a huge difference. I guess it's time to invest in a netbook and cable so I can get this done.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've got the cable and prob should reset mine at some point. I assuming they were reset when we recoded the DME, but I have been bouncing around between 91 and E8X for a while. I let wedge do most of the keyboard tickling during the reset and I didn't pay close enough attention, anyone have quick tutorial on how to reset them using the INPA? Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    No...but your lpfp can affect your trims.

I agree your lambda adaptions should be reset. As for those trims being acceptable, I disagree. The DME is hunting and it contributes to instability. A properly tuned/adapted car's LTFTs WILL peg at zero under WOT. For long term trims to run high or low...it usually means they were "learned" due to the behavior of the short term trims. So while it is true that it is better that your long and short term trims are opposed...it's certainly not ideal and given you asked for input on a "pro" tune...it's something I'd want addressed. Personally, I'd also log my trims at idle and while cruising to verify those as well.

JMO

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No...but your lpfp can affect your trims.

I agree your lambda adaptions should be reset. As for those trims being acceptable, I disagree. The DME is hunting and it contributes to instability. A properly tuned/adapted car's LTFTs WILL peg at zero under WOT. For long term trims to run high or low...it usually means they were "learned" due to the behavior of the short term trims. So while it is true that it is better that your long and short term trims are opposed...it's certainly not ideal and given you asked for input on a "pro" tune...it's something I'd want addressed. Personally, I'd also log my trims at idle and while cruising to verify those as well.

JMO
    It needs to be a healthy car to begin with that is operating within its hardware capacity. This has nothing to do with a tune. It has everything to do with the way the car learns/adapts to fuel demand/supply and not clearing adaptations when switching maps. When you exceed hardware specs software can only get you so far.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    BTW...given you're having cold start issues...as I said earlier...I'd log the HPFP, and trims and afrs on both banks (to atleast verify once) and I'd do a startup log to see how things are responding......and...when did your cold start issues begin? Map change, fuel change, or just simply once the cold weather started?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have a cable inbound and need to find a cheap laptop and I will get to work with INPA to see if reseting adaptions cleans up the trims.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast