Close

Page 16 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oops! I just saw it on FB. I checked for a date on the article, but didn't find one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e92 Click here to enlarge
    Oops! I just saw it on FB. I checked for a date on the article, but didn't find one.
    No worries, it's worth posting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A little something just came in...

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    can't believe i haven't found this thread...glad to see some oenophiles on here! a couple of recent ones that I've had if anyone needs an unsolicited reco....for all you cab fans; Leviathan and Swagger for a mid price ($60ish) or Educated Guess for a great value wine for $20ish. Also Orin Swift has a really nice bottle called Abstract, not a cab, but really good at $30.
    Click here to enlarge

PTF Pro Tuned l BMS DCI l DP l ETS 5" Intercooler
    HAT L4SE Carbon l HAT L1V2 l Jehnert XE200 l Arc Audio Arc 12 l Arc Minis l Audison bit Ten

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    nice delivery @Sticky!!! caymus always consistent and really good.
    Click here to enlarge

HAT L4SE Carbon l HAT L1V2 l Jehnert XE200 l Arc Audio Arc 12 l Arc Minis l Audison bit Ten

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cadillacgrills Click here to enlarge
    Leviathan
    Heard hype about Leviathan and bought a few 07's. Feel it's overrated.

Also Orin Swift has a really nice bottle called Abstract, not a cab, but really good at $30.
    Have yet to try Abstract but Orin Swift everything is fantastic and a decent value. Love the Papillon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    nice delivery @Sticky !!! caymus always consistent and really good.
    You should see my collection of the Special Selection Click here to enlarge Standard Caymus is a "daily drinker" so to speak.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Ha! daily drinker thats awesome. i hear you on the leviathan...one cool thing about wine is everyone finds a little something different than everybody else...I found the Leviathan takes a while to open up FWIW, the 07s should be pretty good, anything 07 should be pretty good for that matter...literally just had it this weekend along with an 04 Matriarch, it held it's own until the Matriarch just took a ridicolous turn into the awesome category after about 45 minutes of breathing.
    Abstract won't have as much finesse as the Papillon but again for $30, it's good. Speaking of $30, if you ever run across a wine called Worthy or it's little sister Truth, they are great values. The word is that Bob Egelhoff from Axios fame has a hand in making these. Same wine maker for a third of price!!
    And to pull in a car reference since we are on BB...Maybach is an out of this world wine made by Thomas Rivers Brown, one of my favorite wine makes. Pricey. And as you can guess from the name Maybach, it has ties to the automotive world. Enough said.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I found the Leviathan takes a while to open up FWIW, the 07s should be pretty good, anything 07 should be pretty good for that matter..
    I gave it a very fair decant.

literally just had it this weekend along with an 04 Matriarch, it held it's own until the Matriarch just took a ridicolous turn into the awesome category after about 45 minutes of breathing.
    Oh the Matriarch blows it out of the water. Frankly, I find the Matriarch practically impossible to beat under $100 unless Harland raised the pricing on it. Still have 04's and 05's in crate Click here to enlarge

Speaking of $30, if you ever run across a wine called Worthy or it's little sister Truth, they are great values. The word is that Bob Egelhoff from Axios fame has a hand in making these. Same wine maker for a third of price!!
    I'll add these to the list, are these blends?

And to pull in a car reference since we are on BB...Maybach is an out of this world wine made by Thomas Rivers Brown, one of my favorite wine makes. Pricey. And as you can guess from the name Maybach, it has ties to the automotive world. Enough said.
    Very familiar with Maybach Click here to enlarge Started to really come into its own after the initial batch which was spectacular but you could tell the vines were young.

You have good taste.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    agreed on the Matriarch, I've had several from numerous vintages and it has been far and away one of my favorites. still hanging on to a few i have left. I stopped buying a few years ago to focus on other mailing list wines. it got to be an expensive hobby/lifestyle really quick.
    Yeah, the Worthy/Truth are blends, the good thing is they can be found in any less than decent wine shop (at least around here) so works for the last minute pick up or to have when you're non-wine drinking friends are around and you want to at least have something decent to drink.
    The good taste comes from my fortune of knowing a few friends that have been into the wine thing for years, I'm fairly young relative to them and their wine groups they are members of. Through this, I've been able to be a part of some really, really good tastings and got on mailing lists pretty early on. I've picked up a lot from being around them and feel like there is still a ton to learn!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    it got to be an expensive hobby/lifestyle really quick.
    Once my taste developed it sure did. Now it's hard to find wines that still amaze.

The good taste comes from my fortune of knowing a few friends that have been into the wine thing for years, I'm fairly young relative to them and their wine groups they are members of. Through this, I've been able to be a part of some really, really good tastings and got on mailing lists pretty early on. I've picked up a lot from being around them and feel like there is still a ton to learn!
    I'm the youngest oenophile I know.

Nothing I hate more than wasting a good wine on somebody who doesn't know any better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge

Figured I'd post a pic as I see others have when they have something good...a good friend of mine and I had what we called "The Bird" dinner...the wines were Scarecrow, Sina Qua Non-The Raven and of course Screaming Eagle. The Scarecrow was mine, so it was hard to admit the Sina Qua Non seemed to be drinking the best that night. mind you, none were far and away better than the others, all were great in their on way, finish, complexity etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    the wines were Scarecrow, Sina Qua Non-The Raven and of course Screaming Eagle.
    Out of these three Sine Qua Non is the only one I can't seem to ever get my hands on.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    you and me both...been on the list (the waiting list for the waiting list) for a few years, have a couple friends that are on, I buy from them every now and then, I also make it a point to be around if i know they are going to open one!! Let me know if you ever want to get one...be glad to get it to you.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    you and me both...been on the list (the waiting list for the waiting list) for a few years, have a couple friends that are on, I buy from them every now and then, I also make it a point to be around if i know they are going to open one!! Let me know if you ever want to get one...be glad to get it to you.
    Sine Qua Non? Ya, always in the market for that...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'll see if they are willing to part with any of theirs...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    and if'n you're interested, I'm making room in the cellar and have a 2 pack of M.Etain, Scarecrow's second label, I'm looking to sell. Still in original wood box.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    and if'n you're interested, I'm making room in the cellar and have a 2 pack of M.Etain, Scarecrow's second label, I'm looking to sell. Still in original wood box.
    I got offered M.Etain, passed on it. Harder to flip than Scarecrow. Recently quintupled my money on some Schrader Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    too funny...tell me about it!! just sold 3 packs of scarecrow, etain got passed on twice!!! I'll just have to drink it now!! I'm every other year with the etain...i will say, that I've had it a couple times and it is very good. Nice move on the Schrader, it's good to have stuff to flip to subsidize some of the other stuff. Never had anything from the To Kalon vineyard that wasn't close to amazing.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    or made by Thomas Rivers Brown....i actually just sold a maybach to one of the guys in a tasting group, he's planing a Thomas Brown tasting, all wines from his portfolio...the cool thing is that this is one of these groups that do a blind tasting with some type of theme...i'm not one of them yet, but a few of these guys have nailed the year and exact vineyard and winemaker! i need to follow up with him to see how it went, didn't get the invite to this one. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Never had anything from the To Kalon vineyard that wasn't close to amazing.
    Beckstoffer To-Kalon is probably my favorite fruit from that area. Anything with it is good.

And Schrader is so easy to flip it's amazing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    And what fine cubans are you washing all these wines down with?
    Mods: Cobb v3, Aquamist hfs-4, BMS DCI, AR Design DP's, ETS FMIC, ETS Charge Pipe, HKS SSQV BOV, BMS CDV, BMS OCC, BMS Clutch Stop & ptf twin disc clutch.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kev335i Click here to enlarge
    And what fine cubans are you washing all these wines down with?
    You do not mix wine and smoking cigars/cigarettes. Cigars + wine = major no-no. Cigars + brandy, cognac, these types of things.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You do not mix wine and smoking cigars/cigarettes. Cigars + wine = major no-no. Cigars + brandy, cognac, these types of things.
    Fine Dining + fine wine = cognac + fine cuban
    Mods: Cobb v3, Aquamist hfs-4, BMS DCI, AR Design DP's, ETS FMIC, ETS Charge Pipe, HKS SSQV BOV, BMS CDV, BMS OCC, BMS Clutch Stop & ptf twin disc clutch.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here's a pairing chart that should help those of you wondering what wine to pair with what food:

Click here to enlarge

Page 16 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast