Close

Page 1 of 56 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 1379
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    818
    Posts
    521
    Rep Points
    549.2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No

    The wine cellar: What are you sipping on?

    Click here to enlarge
    Kees on M5 Board is my bitch....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,076
    Rep Points
    31,288.5
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I'm a fan of Chimney Rock. I have not tried that particular vintage of the Arete but '07 is a spectacular vintage for California Cabs.

    For around a $65 bottle that is a nice wine.

    I'm not drinking anything in particular today, not sure why I'm not. However, a few days ago I had these:

    2007 Tensley Grenache (the best single varietal Grenache I have had)
    2005 Caymus Cab (ready to drink, always a great wine, around 91 points)
    2005 Drinkward Peschon (such a sleeper, can't be beat for the money, glad people don't know about it)
    2005 Don Melchor (very, very nice but needs more time, like a 93+ point wine)
    2007 Stolpman Syrah - (not big on Syrah, but this is a nice example)

    I also had a few dozen wines a couple weeks ago when I was in Santa Barbara but not going to list them unless someone really wants to know.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,439
    Rep Points
    2,602.0
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Reputation: Yes | No
    nice watch. what watch is that and whats on tv? lol

    i cant hang with these wine conversations.

    theres only one good wine i know but i forgot the name.
    its something with a tree ( not much of a hint ) and its like $120-130 for a 750ml bottle.
    i think it has a black and white label

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,076
    Rep Points
    31,288.5
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e92 Click here to enlarge
    theres only one good wine i know but i forgot the name.
    its something with a tree ( not much of a hint ) and its like $120-130 for a 750ml bottle.
    i think it has a black and white label
    Need more details than that to find it. Black and white label? Hmmm, maybe this?

    Click here to enlarge
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    818
    Posts
    521
    Rep Points
    549.2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6



    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e92 Click here to enlarge
    nice watch. what watch is that and whats on tv? lol

    i cant hang with these wine conversations.

    theres only one good wine i know but i forgot the name.
    its something with a tree ( not much of a hint ) and its like $120-130 for a 750ml bottle.
    i think it has a black and white label
    AP Survivor. Boardwalk Empire on HBO. (Great show)

    Could it be Silver Oak? Thats another of my favs.

    Click here to enlarge
    Kees on M5 Board is my bitch....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    818
    Posts
    521
    Rep Points
    549.2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I'm a fan of Chimney Rock. I have not tried that particular vintage of the Arete but '07 is a spectacular vintage for California Cabs.

    For around a $65 bottle that is a nice wine.

    I'm not drinking anything in particular today, not sure why I'm not. However, a few days ago I had these:

    2007 Tensley Grenache (the best single varietal Grenache I have had)
    2005 Caymus Cab (ready to drink, always a great wine, around 91 points)
    2005 Drinkward Peschon (such a sleeper, can't be beat for the money, glad people don't know about it)
    2005 Don Melchor (very, very nice but needs more time, like a 93+ point wine)
    2007 Stolpman Syrah - (not big on Syrah, but this is a nice example)

    I also had a few dozen wines a couple weeks ago when I was in Santa Barbara but not going to list them unless someone really wants to know.
    Nice! You should try it I'm loving it.
    Kees on M5 Board is my bitch....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,439
    Rep Points
    2,602.0
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JonMartin Click here to enlarge
    AP Survivor. Boardwalk Empire on HBO. (Great show)

    Could it be Silver Oak? Thats another of my favs.

    Click here to enlarge
    WINNER!!

    i would have called my friend who owns the liquor store that sells it.

    sick watch too!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,076
    Rep Points
    31,288.5
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JonMartin Click here to enlarge
    AP Survivor. Boardwalk Empire on HBO. (Great show)

    Could it be Silver Oak? Thats another of my favs.

    Click here to enlarge
    I should have thought of that, of course Silver Oak.

    He was referring to the Napa though, not Alexander for that price:

    Click here to enlarge

    If Silver Oak is one of your faves you need to start branching out from the trendy name brand stuff. I'm just going to guess here, but you probably like Opus One as well?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,439
    Rep Points
    2,602.0
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Reputation: Yes | No
    ^ yes, thats the bottle i recognize

    Ive heard of Opus but im not into wine so names dont matter to me at all.

    I probably wouldn't know a decent inexpensive wine from a top notch wine.

    thats just for something like a wedding gift.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,076
    Rep Points
    31,288.5
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e92 Click here to enlarge
    thats just for something like a wedding gift.
    Or like football on Sunday...

    I do have a pretty good amount of Silver Oak since that label impresses people. Overrated wine but certainly good. Have a few magnums (1.5 liter, double size bottles) of the '97 Napa.

    I find wine to be a much more fun hobby than cars.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    818
    Posts
    521
    Rep Points
    549.2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I should have thought of that, of course Silver Oak.

    He was referring to the Napa though, not Alexander for that price:

    Click here to enlarge

    If Silver Oak is one of your faves you need to start branching out from the trendy name brand stuff. I'm just going to guess here, but you probably like Opus One as well?
    Haven't tried Opus. I have to admit I haven't tried too many different kinds of wine still new to it. Hence I started the thread to see what else I should try.
    Kees on M5 Board is my bitch....

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,439
    Rep Points
    2,602.0
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I find wine to be a much more fun hobby than cars.
    you should host your own wine tasting show from the cellar.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,076
    Rep Points
    31,288.5
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e92 Click here to enlarge
    you should host your own wine tasting show from the cellar.
    Hahaha, not a bad idea. I'll just end up drunk and no one will know where to find me.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,076
    Rep Points
    31,288.5
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JonMartin Click here to enlarge
    Haven't tried Opus. I have to admit I haven't tried too many different kinds of wine still new to it. Hence I started the thread to see what else I should try.
    No worries, state what you like to drink. There is so much different wine out there the only problem is having enough money to keep up with it.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,439
    Rep Points
    2,602.0
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Reputation: Yes | No
    what are your favorite kind of cheeses and or snacks while sipping wine?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,293
    Rep Points
    2,744.4
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Or like football on Sunday...

    I do have a pretty good amount of Silver Oak since that label impresses people. Overrated wine but certainly good. Have a few magnums (1.5 liter, double size bottles) of the '97 Napa.

    I find wine to be a much more fun hobby than cars.
    I have a couple of customers that have invited me out this fall for wine tasting. I have yet to go but I think I might finally take the plunge.

    I feel out of place with all these big shot people....and here i am with my small time hands that are never clean LOL

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,076
    Rep Points
    31,288.5
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e92 Click here to enlarge
    what are your favorite kind of cheeses and or snacks while sipping wine?
    Primma Donna (seriously, that's the name) my favorite cheese, it is an aged gouda:

    Click here to enlarge

    I also like manchego a lot with reds:

    Click here to enlarge

    It really depends on the wine, for a Port I like a sharp blue:

    Click here to enlarge

    If I drinking Champagne, I like to pair with caviar:

    Click here to enlarge

    I usually create a whole plate of various snacks and open a few wines (this probably sounds ridiculous to you guys but I assure you is pretty normal for wine snobs).

    Something like this:

    - Mixed Olives
    - Almonds
    - Prosciutto
    - Various Trader Joe's spreads (tomato, olive) on thin bread strips
    - Oysters on thin crackers
    and of course, various cheeses.

    I take my whole wine experience pretty seriously but when you have a ridiculously good wine that is paired well it blows beer or anything else away. Often times also if I'm having a special wine I just like to sip it on its own to appreciate it but if you don't have any food it will catch up fast.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,439
    Rep Points
    2,602.0
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I asked because im having a cheap wine with gouda now. thats my fav snacking cheese.

    ill be learning some good stuff in this thread

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,076
    Rep Points
    31,288.5
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    I have a couple of customers that have invited me out this fall for wine tasting. I have yet to go but I think I might finally take the plunge.

    I feel out of place with all these big shot people....and here i am with my small time hands that are never clean LOL
    I'm just a kid to most wine people (tends to be a hobby for older people) so I have a blast mingling with them as it is a good way to meet cool/important/wealthy people and also I seem to fit in well with them, much more so than your average spoiled kid with a 335 which tends to dominate... well, you know, that other place. I also like that they tend to be surprised by my age and involvement with wine. I can't exactly go wine tasting with people my age or try to explain what is special about an Oregon Pinot to one of my friends in their mid 20's who are still in that stoner get plastered phase and just drink anything as long as it has alcohol in it. The thought of going wine tasting with those guys... well, it just wouldn't over well plus they would think its stupid with Vodka being cheaper and all.

    Those people aren't really big shots in a traditional sense, you will find most of the people at tastings, pouring, or who do work with wine are often working in the vineyards themselves. There are those big shots who pay a fleet of imported workers to do it all for them and have wine consultants, but most people just do it for the love of it just like you do your work. If you ever do come out, hit me up, I'm a pretty good wine tour guide. I also have some family friends who have hundreds and hundreds of acres with vines and several places to stay, so access to some pretty interesting stuff as well as accommodations. Actually just got back from a nice trip out to wine country not too long ago.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,439
    Rep Points
    2,602.0
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Reputation: Yes | No
    all the snobs i schmooze with on occasions are into scotch. so am I. i never had to get into wine

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,293
    Rep Points
    2,744.4
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I'm just a kid to most wine people (tends to be a hobby for older people) so I have a blast mingling with them as it is a good way to meet cool/important/wealthy people and also I seem to fit in well with them, much more so than your average spoiled kid with a 335 which tends to dominate... well, you know, that other place. I also like that they tend to be surprised by my age and involvement with wine. I can't exactly go wine tasting with people my age or try to explain what is special about an Oregon Pinot to one of my friends in their mid 20's who are still in that stoner get plastered phase and just drink anything as long as it has alcohol in it. The thought of going wine tasting with those guys... well, it just wouldn't over well plus they would think its stupid with Vodka being cheaper and all.

    Those people aren't really big shots in a traditional sense, you will find most of the people at tastings, pouring, or who do work with wine are often working in the vineyards themselves. There are those big shots who pay a fleet of imported workers to do it all for them and have wine consultants, but most people just do it for the love of it just like you do your work. If you ever do come out, hit me up, I'm a pretty good wine tour guide. I also have some family friends who have hundreds and hundreds of acres with vines and several places to stay, so access to some pretty interesting stuff as well as accommodations. Actually just got back from a nice trip out to wine country not too long ago.

    Sounds like a plan. My girlfriend can't exactly hold her alcohol (shes allergic to it..typical asian lol), so shes pretty much gotten me out of the drinking to get wasted phase. I rarely drink at all if we are out..unless we are on vacation.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,076
    Rep Points
    31,288.5
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Thought you guys might enjoy this:



    Singer Chris DeBurgh, most famous for his song "Lady in Red," is also a wine collector who is ready to sell off some of his best vintages. He recently sat down with Decanter to confess that the reason he is gong to sell is not because he needs the cash but because he can't bear to drink some of the most expensive bottles. He has been collecting for years and has picked up many prized bottles including a case of Lafite 1945 and Latour 61, Mouton 82, Cheval Blanc 78, Margaux and La Mission Haut Brion 61. He also has a complete collection of Mouton vintages from 1945 that he updates with the latest vintage each year. The singer says that he will use the proceeds from the sale to add more wine to his collection, hopefully ones he can pop the cork on without as much angst.
    The funny thing is, I actually have some of these wines he is going to auction off. I can understand what he means but he needs to drink them. The '45 Lafite is freaking epic, as is the '82 Mouton. I've had the '61 Latour for my birthday last year, on its own level not to be compared.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,076
    Rep Points
    31,288.5
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    Sounds like a plan. My girlfriend can't exactly hold her alcohol (shes allergic to it..typical asian lol), so shes pretty much gotten me out of the drinking to get wasted phase. I rarely drink at all if we are out..unless we are on vacation.
    When you go tasting you don't really get wasted. I often use the spit bucket, allows you to taste a whole lot more than you normally would. My father on the other hand never spits out his wine.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,076
    Rep Points
    31,288.5
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The funny thing is, I actually have some of these wines he is going to auction off. I can understand what he means but he needs to drink them. The '45 Lafite is freaking epic, as is the '82 Mouton. I've had the '61 Latour for my birthday last year, on its own level not to be compared.
    Oh, and when he says he has a vertical of Mouton-Rothschild magnums from '45, I mean, that is insane. Easily $100k just for those. Oh... I have a vertical of Mouton as well Click here to enlarge Just not in Magnums... damn.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,439
    Rep Points
    2,602.0
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Reputation: Yes | No
    i know about the spitting. far from classy but thats how they do it.

    I'd just drink it and have some water to rinse the flavors.

    on the other hand, i do know how to taste and rate beer. I almost applied to become a beer judge just for fun.

Page 1 of 56 1231151 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •