Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

S50 supercharger problems... Crybaby?

Hey everyone

This is my first post here. I have been lurking and enjoying the news almost everyday since i joined up. I have made a few posts on other forums with little response from the community.

So long story short; I received my car back from my mechanic a few months ago after the ringlands blew on my s50 from a horrible installation decision and tune. The engine was completely rebuilt using some new parts and some used that were still in spec? (hopefully). The Heat exchanger and aftercooler was installed for my stg2 RMS tuned supercharger build. Its an old kit, 36# injectors, 6 rib pullies, 10-12 psi???, stock maf!.

So upon receipt of the car it has problems. It stumbles into first gear, idle surges, dies at stops. My mechanic tells me to drive it some more to you know "learn the tune". Well the problems presist, i have a wideband 02 sensor so i can see that AFR's are idling pretty lean and fluctuate up and down in sync with idle surging. I replaced the coilpacks and boots upon inspection they were cracked, no change.

I have not driven the car farther than a few miles and its basically brand new. Low miles on everything... I am so frustrated with this car i thought it would run well after replacing sensors on the engine and refreshing everything. So it comes down to what to do next.
    I can buy a tune/maf/injectors and see where that takes me?
    I can go back to stock for a while... but im running a mls gasket... ?
    i had all the same symptoms before the rebuild and FI there just magnified x50 now....

Im in the Los Angeles area and would love to DIY but i need someone else to help me out.
    thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    First of all, welcome.

You are in Los Angeles so no problem we'll get someone to help you if need be.

Who did the install and the tuning? Who is your mechanic? Does he have experience installing S50 superchargers?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Sticky, Yeah i got the work done over a castro motorsport and tuned by RMS in house by osh. When he burned the chip he messed up the eprom? My car just throws a CEL all day long. Osh told me to bring the car over but i would really like to sort out any other problems before i Retune. I trust his mechanic over there Adam but i have had some really bad luck dealing with all these guys so far on this supercharger install/tune so im looking to move to another shop for some diagnosis and new eyes.

I don't want to blast anyone involved just yet i feel that the issues im having could be some overlooked parts. maybe something simple like the ICAV? but it could be alot of things im sure or a combination. its a bit overwhelming on my own to diagnose so im looking for input on where to go.
    ANY Help is appreciated on the highest level!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by faternal Click here to enlarge
    Sticky, Yeah i got the work done over a castro motorsport and tuned by RMS in house by osh. When he burned the chip he messed up the eprom? My car just throws a CEL all day long. Osh told me to bring the car over but i would really like to sort out any other problems before i Retune. I trust his mechanic over there Adam but i have had some really bad luck dealing with all these guys so far on this supercharger install/tune so im looking to move to another shop for some diagnosis and new eyes.
    Have you talked to @THATDONFC over at RMS? He's the one who should be able to get you sorted.

I don't want to blast anyone involved just yet i feel that the issues im having could be some overlooked parts
    Trust me I know how you feel there are times where I wanted to unload from frustration but once I calmed down I saw things could be resolved.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That's Chris at RMS? if so he seems cool. but getting osh to actually go thru with what chris quotes me has been a pain so far. there shop is much closer to me than most and they "owe" me a retune. I just need the car to drive 100% no stumbling no hesitation none of dat. LOL
    should i message @THATDONFC ? i have a very uneasy feeling about working with RMS, but i saw adam working on the MCoupe over there and that thing is a beast. Maybe ill head over there tomorrow to talk with those dudes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's Chris at RMS? if so he seems cool. but getting osh to actually go thru with what chris quotes me has been a pain so far. there shop is much closer to me than most and they "owe" me a retune. I just need the car to drive 100% no stumbling no hesitation none of dat. LOL
    should i message @THATDONFC ? i have a very uneasy feeling about working with RMS, but i saw adam working on the MCoupe over there and that thing is a beast. Maybe ill head over there tomorrow to talk with those dudes.
    It's rather unfortunate Osh has the reputation he does and it continues on like this. Chris works hard to change it but he really needs to address the issues with Osh.

Message @THATDONFC and see what he says. Have him handle everything and don't deal directly with Osh. He knows how to get an S50 running and running strong.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @faternal check your pm

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So im in need of a stock chip to start trouble shooting this thing at home before i take it anywhere. Whats the best way to get my hands on one?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Okay big props to @THATDONFC for linking me up with RMS and @Sticky !!

Turns out my problems have all been hardware related so far..
    1. Spark plugs all gaped differently (Re-gaping solved my intermittent misfires)
    2. some of my electrical connections were very dirty, clean connections for DME and Maf
    3. Kinked hose coming off of ICV , replaced with 90' elbow cleaned icv (Solved dieing at stops)
    4. Moved maf farther up the intake chain (made a small improvement)

okay now my car is officially drivable. it doesn't stall at all, and barely surges compared to before. The guys at RMS did a great job servicing my car and getting it back to me quickly!! even osh was pleasant to deal with.

So now my quest turns a corner to make my M3 run like a champion.

I have small dips in idle when dropping out of gear, one dip and then idle recovers. Most of these dips are not big enough to even choke the car, maybe 1 out of 10 makes the car choke for a second.

going into 1st and sometimes 2nd gear i have hesitation. jerky starts and some very mild bucking depending on how much i baby the clutch.

The car still doesn't crank on the first try everytime. (need to confirm this again tho)

running stock injectors, with stock chip. Rms stage 2 supercharged with no belt. stage 3 clutch from gripforce.
    Any ideas will be very appreciated.
    Thanks so much already guys!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks so much already guys!!
    You are very welcome good sir.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale