Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Probably not really worth it unless non-stock frame turbo. If you're going all-out, yeah. I'd be interested in seeing how much you picked up on the cam side vs the head with turbos that could do 700+WHP. But when it's all done, you'll probably have as much or more into the engine as these cars are now worth.
    2014 Audi S5. Black w/Black, DSG, Sport Diff, B&O sound, Nav/MMI. Stock for the moment...
    2011 335xi JB4, WW meth - retired
    2008 335xi JB3 - retired

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    Probably not really worth it unless non-stock frame turbo. If you're going all-out, yeah. I'd be interested in seeing how much you picked up on the cam side vs the head with turbos that could do 700+WHP. But when it's all done, you'll probably have as much or more into the engine as these cars are now worth.
    hah, anyone built motor + single has more in the car than it's worth probably

i know mine's getting pretty borderline in that respect.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

i never ended up getting a final response from the guys at catcams, so i'm just assuming they dumped the project for some reason?

day by day there's more and more reason for the N54 to have cams, so many more turbo kit options, so much more potential power :/
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

People always say cams aren't difficult to do yet it is only Schrick who ever has tried and true options for modern BMW's...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    People always say cams aren't difficult to do yet it is only Schrick who ever has tried and true options for modern BMW's...
    i wonder why though?

Is modern VANOS significantly different to that of the late 90's/early 2000's or something? (plenty of companies have older VANOS cams, but not mid 2000's onwards).. Or is it just a money thing for them at that point?

and when schrick will probably never make cams for the N54, there HAS to be some other company that can be reached out to, that has the ability and can+will make them...
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    i wonder why though?

Is modern VANOS significantly different to that of the late 90's/early 2000's or something? (plenty of companies have older VANOS cams, but not mid 2000's onwards).. Or is it just a money thing for them at that point?

and when schrick will probably never make cams for the N54, there HAS to be some other company that can be reached out to, that has the ability and can+will make them...
    I don't know but apparently only Schrick has the resources to do it properly or others would. A tuner back in the day told me it's really only them that gets it right.

I'm sure others have the ability but they haven't demonstrated it. Schrick actually has.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

I don't know but apparently only Schrick has the resources to do it properly or others would. A tuner back in the day told me it's really only them that gets it right.

I'm sure others have the ability but they haven't demonstrated it. Schrick actually has.
    well someone at schrick needs to get on it!
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

There you go. Schrick already has N54 cams.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

They a ton of a duration options also. You just have to send them an e-mail, plus they'll be cheaper than the listed price because you won't have to worry about VAT if you have a stateside address.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

There you go. Schrick already has N54 cams.
    FFS you both got me excited

already went over this on page 2.. towards the bottom

info from schrick indicates they're N52 cams, not N54 cams.

.. probably made N52 cams because of the N52 powered series race cars.

and the other two (as i stated on page 2) appear to be cams for some sort of V8.. i investigated that many months ago though, so this is just some faded memory.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by redux Click here to enlarge
    They a ton of a duration options also. You just have to send them an e-mail, plus they'll be cheaper than the listed price because you won't have to worry about VAT if you have a stateside address.
    i'd like to be proven wrong and be told that the guy from schrick is just TERRIBLE at communicating (none of them seem very good at english), because that's not horrible pricing.

but.. not willing to splash close to $1500 out on possibly N52 cams.

might send the shop an email, surely they would have sold them already and confirm they're N54 cams??

because minus VAT, converted to AUD.. it's actually pretty cheap excluding shipping..
    Last edited by Flinchy; 08-05-2014 at 02:55 AM.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

got a reply from MaxRPM

all they did was link me to the schrick website with 'yes, it's for the N54 like it says here in this link'

ok, doesn't help when i've already said i was told 'it's for the N54, just like in this picture of an N52' by a guy at schrick

someone with way more spare cash than me can try this if they want lol.. I definitely find it odd that no one has tried them before to confirm, if it's a product that's been available for so many years.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Schrick Website seems to indicate they are N54 camshafts. Someone will order these soon I am assuming with all the heads being done etc.

http://www.schrick.com/index.php?article_id=6&nid=6

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Hopefully the website/catalogues are correct, for the sake of the poor guinea pig who orders them first Click here to enlarge..

I've sent some another email to schrick (I think to schrick USA even) just in case they know..

Does anyone have stock cam specs on hand to compare with the ones in the link?
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MaxRPM
    Hello Brendan,
    sorry for the long time for this mail, but my technical contact at Schrick is on a business trip. But before a few minutes, I spoke with another Schrick employee.

The four camshafts (http://www.maxrpm.de/navi.php?suche=...W+N54&lang=eng) are definitely only for the N54 and not for the N52 engine.

Many greetings from Germany,

Thorsten
    soo..

who's keen? too many people to tag >_>

can't believe that schrick has ACTUALLY offered N54 cams for at least 12 months now haha
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

soo..

who's keen? too many people to tag >_>

can't believe that schrick has ACTUALLY offered N54 cams for at least 12 months now haha
    Schrick has cams out for almost every BMW pretty quickly. The problem is really getting a tuner that knows what they are doing with VANOS.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Schrick has cams out for almost every BMW pretty quickly. The problem is really getting a tuner that knows what they are doing with VANOS.
    Bren does some cool stuff with Vanos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

given a set, i'd think most of the guys tuning N54's on the regular could work out how to use them, considering they have to know VANOS well enough for stock turbos and cams anyway? given how much it effects performance with turbos.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

given a set, i'd think most of the guys tuning N54's on the regular could work out how to use them, considering they have to know VANOS well enough for stock turbos and cams anyway? given how much it effects performance with turbos.
    From what I've seen tuning for Schrick cams separates the men from the boys.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    We've done quite a bit of oem vanos testing and I'd love to play with an aftermarket set soon
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge
    We've done quite a bit of oem vanos testing and I'd love to play with an aftermarket set soon
    Playing from stock cams and knowing the vanos etc. What would you predict to be the outcome of cams on the n54. Just better spool and power would be my guess, any other main benefits? Of course not on stock turbo setups something of 600whp+ setups.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

From what I've seen tuning for Schrick cams separates the men from the boys.
    i hope so Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge
    i'd love to see you give them a spin sometime in the future - if anyone can realize the best gains on the tuning side with them, you guys would have to be up there!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Playing from stock cams and knowing the vanos etc. What would you predict to be the outcome of cams on the n54. Just better spool and power would be my guess, any other main benefits? Of course not on stock turbo setups something of 600whp+ setups.
    also interested!

trying to find the stock cam specs... looks like 9.65mm lift.. which these cams move to 10.65

can't find anything on OEM duration?

would the lift hurt velocity at lower RPM's potentially hurting spool? would have to get someone who knows the porting/valves etc. in depth to answer that one i guess...

getting major head work done with these cams specifically in mind could help too?
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

I just saw this announcement on Facebook yesterday or Friday, so I think this release is fairly recent. Anyway, exciting stuff once we see a completely built motor get into the hands of a tuner.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Depends on what they end up doing with them. I'd personally most likely just add a little more lift with an upgraded headed as we can't vary lift electronically on the N54.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I don't see the exhaust cam doing anything for stock frames but wouldn't the intake cam be good for a few HP. Maybe the same amount that the head work was good for?
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast