Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Compared to anything. I remember the e92 and e46 tanks being way too small as well and they were bigger than this off the top of my head. Yes I know this car is more fuel efficient but still.
    16.6gal for the E9x.. wow jealous, mines only like 14gal stated (14.5 in reality)
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Let's hope.... The F1x M5/M6 still doesn't have E85 support and probably won't until someone unlocks the DME to adjust the fueling tables. Honestly I won't be too surprised if the power hungry go with an Motec M1 from the get go since it supports DI fueling.

15.8 gallons isn't enough when you get like 4 MPG on that gas guzzling 4L V8/YSI setup Click here to enlarge

And the real bet is how long until a quality, fair priced Intercooler upgrade comes out? Since it's Air/Water, it's def not gonna be something you can do 1/2 way. Dinan sells an Air/Water upgrade for the 550 (Nothing for the M5/M6), only $2.7k.
    LOL good point, very good point Click here to enlarge

I'm sure some would want to just ditch the A2W and go A2A? sure, A2W has some benefits, whatever.. the A2A is simple and cheaper.. and not sitting on top of the engine

surely there has to be enough room for a large enough one in the front bumper to overcome efficiency to make the A2A a better long term option. Once you get an A2A core larger (well, larger enough) than you can get the A2W, it'd be better. And lighter.

This is discounting those that drag race and will fill it with ice. Not really possible to keep the tank full of ice lap after lap on the circuit Click here to enlarge

and $2.7k OUCH... i'm sure someone could make a A2A FMIC kit for much less and still rake it in lol.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    I'm sure some would want to just ditch the A2W and go A2A? sure, A2W has some benefits, whatever.. the A2A is simple and cheaper.. and not sitting on top of the engine
    I'm there with you, that A/A > A/W, especially for a car that is marketed as a street legal road course monster.

I guess an A/A conversion is plausible, but it all depends on the routing of the pipes. Space shouldn't be an issue since you have the air/water cores on top of the engine & I'm guessing there's a heat exchanger up in front (similar to an E9x M3 supercharger setup, Air/Water mani on top, heat exchanger up in front).
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    I'm there with you, that A/A > A/W, especially for a car that is marketed as a street legal road course monster.

I guess an A/A conversion is plausible, but it all depends on the routing of the pipes. Space shouldn't be an issue since you have the air/water cores on top of the engine & I'm guessing there's a heat exchanger up in front (similar to an E9x M3 supercharger setup, Air/Water mani on top, heat exchanger up in front).
    on second thought... it probably wouldn't be super cheap

all new charge piping both hot and cold side as well being mandatory, and likely a new BoV/recirc valve being mandatory due to positioning of the factory stuff..that's .. well cold side + BoV is $400-$500 on N54 lol.

still should be made for those that want if it fits, and would have to be cheaper than the expensive A>W's
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    can't wait to see dyno results, or even drag results with the 7-DCT. I'm willing to bet wheel HP-to-weight ratio will be similar to an F10 M5. Crossing my fingers for the first 11 second stock M3 @ 120-122mph range Click here to enlarge
    Loe P.
    B8.5 Audi S5 3.0"T" - GIAC stage II ECU / GIAC DSG TCU / AWE-tuning Pulley / AFe filter / 034 TBB / mod airbox / X-pipe
    - 09' E90 M3 7-DCT Interlagos Blue / Novillo Silver - gone Click here to enlarge
    [K&N filter|MS pullies|test pipes|Evolve Stg II tune/Servotronic/GTS-DCT Tune|Euro MDM]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Stock 120? I mean that would be awesome but sounds too optimistic. I think 118 sounds about right. BMW usually gets the M3 close to the M5 in ET but never gives it the same trap speed.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andrew20195 Click here to enlarge
    So, basically tuners need to figure out the back door that the NSA convinced RSA to put in all their encryption algorithms?

Although I see elsewhere that these ECMs can still be "bench flashed".
    They can, but the bench is not consumer device and getting the DME in and out is at least time consuming.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am curious to find out what they did with the oil cooling and the oil pan. I hope they put a massive oil cooler and would really really love to see a dry oil sump, but I doubt it.

I definitely see myself in a M4 in the next 2-3 years.

...as for the 1024-bit RSA encryption being uncrackable... Is this some sort of a joke? We were hacking 4096-bit RSA encrypted SSL certificates with consumer grade laptops two years ago.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    I hope they put a massive oil cooler and would really really love to see a dry oil sump, but I doubt it.
    I don't think it's a dry sump but the cooling seems to be serious.

...as for the 1024-bit RSA encryption being uncrackable... Is this some sort of a joke? We were hacking 4096-bit RSA encrypted SSL certificates with consumer grade laptops two years ago.
    Go for it and corner the tuning market. Dinan has a set of super computers working on cracking code 24/7...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^ I have no way of obtaining an ECU dump file. Otherwise I could help.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)

Looks like another Sparkplug option too. They look like Platnums. Hopefully they are 2 colder than stock N54/N55. I hate iridums and preffer coppers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I am curious to find out what they did with the oil cooling and the oil pan. I hope they put a massive oil cooler and would really really love to see a dry oil sump, but I doubt it.

I definitely see myself in a M4 in the next 2-3 years.

Can you enlighten me on how you can crack a 4096-bit RSA key with a consumer grade laptop? I am a computer scientist, and would love to hear how this is possible, much less without parallelization (e.g. on a laptop without any hardware/fast GPUs/etc.). Unless you are talking about a FLAW in a SPECIFIC implementation, it's unrealistic to think this has been done - ever - much less on a single machine.

I will give you my public PGP key (@4096 bit) - you give me yours, I will send you a message, and you derive my private key. Deal?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    Can you enlighten me on how you can crack a 4096-bit RSA key with a consumer grade laptop? I am a computer scientist, and would love to hear how this is possible, much less without parallelization (e.g. on a laptop without any hardware/fast GPUs/etc.). Unless you are talking about a FLAW in a SPECIFIC implementation, it's unrealistic to think this has been done - ever - much less on a single machine.

I will give you my public PGP key (@4096 bit) - you give me yours, I will send you a message, and you derive my private key. Deal?
    I think I know which side I'm learning towards here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Love it when someone who actually knows there $#@! calls
    someone to the carpet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Completely in agreement here. I've been on a few projects dealing with crypto. 1024bit RSA CAN be broken with a MiM attack (as can nearly all). But that's not being done here. There's no $#@!ing way you're going to break a 4096bit RSA key using brute force. And trying to beat it with an algorithm is probably even harder. Discrete logarithms are a mother $#@!er.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know nothing about hacking ecu's but it seems there is a lot of talk about how hard this one will be. I can only hope it's achievable and not like the Lexus ISF....for the sake of future BMW tuning
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    I know nothing about hacking ecu's but it seems there is a lot of talk about how hard this one will be. I can only hope it's achievable and not like the Lexus ISF....for the sake of future BMW tuning
    It will be achievable. One way or another it will happen. People are going to buy this car with the intention of tuning. The IS-F isn't nearly as popular of a car and it has nowhere near the following of the M3 and it never will.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I sure hope so....

I plan to have my e92 m3 for a longggg time but maybe one day I'll get this car and I'm sure the tuning will be well sorted out by then
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Any ideas why M division wouldn't have gone from 3.0 L to 3.2 or 3.3 L?

Hope it's not fuel economy... This is an M engine damnitalltohell!

It's not like e9x M's weren't selling in the last year of production due to fuel economy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

500cc/cylinder

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TheDeliverator Click here to enlarge
    Any ideas why M division wouldn't have gone from 3.0 L to 3.2 or 3.3 L?

Hope it's not fuel economy... This is an M engine damnitalltohell!

It's not like e9x M's weren't selling in the last year of production due to fuel economy.
    My understanding is that the company as a whole are using a "common theme" (for efficiency/price) for their motors. Some engineers say that 500cc is the optimal volume of a cylinder, and BMW seems to agree: http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...rs-same-blocks

I think what we are seeing is that this motor is based on the N54/55 "design" - and is no longer a bespoke/ground-up design from BMW M GmbH - if it were up to them, who knows what we would see.

Don't get me wrong, with the weight savings, and the power/torque coupled with a DCT? This thing is going to FLY. However, take an M5 and compare it's throttle response to a e9x M3 - no comparison. That's what's missing (along with dethrottling), but that's another topic.

Point is - that's where the 3.0 liter came in. If it were up to me, I would have taken the S54B32 and redesigned it - turbo it if they have to for efficiency, but hopefully just a NA 400 HP 3.2 liter ala VAC motor straight from the showroom. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My understanding is that the company as a whole are using a "common theme" (for efficiency/price) for their motors. Some engineers say that 500cc is the optimal volume of a cylinder, and BMW seems to agree: http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...rs-same-blocks
    Thanks...

I think what we are seeing is that this motor is based on the N54/55 "design" - and is no longer a bespoke/ground-up design from BMW M GmbH - if it were up to them, who knows what we would see.
    Yeah, I keep forgetting (blocking it out on purpose), that the S55 is not a bespoke M engine... You're right. Different topic Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Don't get me wrong, with the weight savings, and the power/torque coupled with a DCT? This thing is going to FLY. However, take an M5 and compare it's throttle response to a e9x M3 - no comparison. That's what's missing (along with dethrottling), but that's another topic.

Point is - that's where the 3.0 liter came in. If it were up to me, I would have taken the S54B32 and redesigned it - turbo it if they have to for efficiency, but hopefully just a NA 400 HP 3.2 liter ala VAC motor straight from the showroom. Click here to enlarge
    There are certain carry overs but this is a fairly ground up design. The bore x stroke figures are reversed for this versus the N55. It also has its own block.

They kept it at 3.0 liters for whatever reason.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TheDeliverator Click here to enlarge
    that the S55 is not a bespoke M engine
    No... it is a bespoke M engine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    No... it is a bespoke M engine.
    Ahh, I am losing it... You are right - forgot that article. I could have swore that I read that this motor isn't made by the M division anymore, but if the block is different - that wouldn't make sense...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ahh, I am losing it... You are right - forgot that article. I could have swore that I read that this motor isn't made by the M division anymore, but if the block is different - that wouldn't make sense...
    It's ok. This is a proper M motor not just an N55 with a different tune.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast