Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

What is the biggest shot of nitrous you could possibly run?

So lets say I wanted to take something like an @undercover intake manifold with the direct port nitrous and a ProEFI and shoot the absolute largest shot of nitrous I could. This is in complete disregard for what is good for the turbos or engine, a one time dyno record.

At what point would the back pressure blow the turbines out of the housings(sarcasm), or more likely choke up the system etc.

The point after this of course would be to go big twins or single and build the motor. I'm seriously considering this path for two reasons:

1) Set a likely non-repeatable stock turbo record(unless you like wasting money)
    2) Find the limit of the stock block once and for all, unless the huge hit of nitrous induces failure prematurely.
    3) I've already set aside enough money for a built motor and singe/big twins. Might even get full head port as well.

Issues: I'm planning on doing this in a DCT, which I'll need to wait for a fix first. In addition, i'll assume the onset of the shot would have to be engaged higher in the RPM band to avoid too much TQ, blowing out the DCT clutchpacks.

How big of a shot could you go?
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)

i never posted 2 octobers ago. but i hit mine with a 200 shot and c16........ it lived. at least on the dyno. stock twins
    Click here to enlarge
    I probably run as much boost as you do fuel pressure

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by undercover Click here to enlarge
    i never posted 2 octobers ago. but i hit mine with a 200 shot and c16........ it lived. at least on the dyno. stock twins
    what did it put down?
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

you'd still run into fuelling limits not being able to supply the nos, no?
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

nitrous on a n54???? do it !!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    you'd still run into fuelling limits not being able to supply the nos, no?
    Run a wet shot.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    Run a wet shot.
    same limitations through the N54 though?
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

same limitations through the N54 though?

No...that's why he said wet shot...you should be ok on fuel, wet shot will help keep AFR in check, you should run race gas with it. Do you have a meth kit as well? What is current record anyway? Is it Terry's 480whp on e85? I know he did a "glory run" with NOS as well but can't remember if that was on an RB car or not. Either way I'd easily say do a 200 shot if you're just not giving a $#@! about something break, maybe even a little bigger.

Oh yeah, and what are you going to do for tuning? You could probably talk to Terry to see what timing and boost he ran. I'm guessing 23 psi and maybe ~18* of timing with a 100+ octane in the tank and a 200 shot of NOS should yield something crazy....
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    No...that's why he said wet shot...you should be ok on fuel, wet shot will help keep AFR in check, you should run race gas with it. Do you have a meth kit as well? What is current record anyway? Is it Terry's 480whp on e85? I know he did a "glory run" with NOS as well but can't remember if that was on an RB car or not. Either way I'd easily say do a 200 shot if you're just not giving a $#@! about something break, maybe even a little bigger.

Oh yeah, and what are you going to do for tuning? You could probably talk to Terry to see what timing and boost he ran. I'm guessing 23 psi and maybe ~18* of timing with a 100+ octane in the tank and a 200 shot of NOS should yield something crazy....
    ohhh my mistake, wet shot adds extra fuel supplementary?

that'd be pretty cool.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

ohhh my mistake, wet shot adds extra fuel supplementary?

that'd be pretty cool.
    Absolutely, I don't think you're gonna push past 600whp anyway, so I don't see there being issues with fueling. I think with a lpfp upgrade and meth without a strong e85 mixture should be good for ~700-750 I think.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    2) Find the limit of the stock block once and for all, unless the huge hit of nitrous induces failure prematurely.
    Although I'm a big fan of the idea, I think blowing up the block will be difficult with stock turbos, unless shooting 400-500 hp of NOS.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

When running nos both terry and hotrod were running cps to lower timing to around 9* peak. Not sure what the reasoning is, never run nos myself.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Absolutely, I don't think you're gonna push past 600whp anyway, so I don't see there being issues with fueling. I think with a lpfp upgrade and meth without a strong e85 mixture should be good for ~700-750 I think.
    past 600 on stock frames? yeah absolutely, that'd be crazy lol

has anyone seen how a single can do without meth on the stock HPFP + upgraded LPFP?
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Just curious, why would running nitrous have any effect on the turbos? The extra oxygen comes from the nitrous so wouldn't the turbos be running at the same rpm with or without nitrous?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jewber Click here to enlarge
    Just curious, why would running nitrous have any effect on the turbos? The extra oxygen comes from the nitrous so wouldn't the turbos be running at the same rpm with or without nitrous?
    You are correct, I don't think the NOS necessarily would do anything, but in this case he's just wanting to go all out so 20+psi will kill them

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

If you're goal is to just set a record and kill the engine at the same time there is literally almost no limit to what shot you could run but if you start out too aggressively you may grenade the engine before you even make it far enough into a pull to get any good numbers. On the average dynojet you're going to max out around 440hwp on a "kill" mode race gas/E85 tune and then start at a 50hp shot and then step up jet sizes after each pull until you find out where it pops.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I think you're going to start to hit breathing/thermal walls over 500whp. I could see mid/upper 500's with some timing pull, E85, and lots of meth. The stock frames really plug things up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

^ what he said..stock frame exhaust side simply won't let it flow a lot..as for testing limits, you'd need a proper flowing exhaust side, i.e. big turbo(s)
    Click here to enlarge

1721 E. Lambert Rd. Unit C, La Habra, CA, 90631
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

9 out of 9 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Sean Singh | Sean@modbargains.com | (714) 582-3330 x 8009
    We Specialize In: BMW Parts In Stock | BMW Wheels Experts | BMW Brakes | BMW Suspension | VMR Wheels Experts | Cobb AccessPORT N54 In Stock | Avant Garde Wheels In Stock | BMW Headlights Fast Shipping | BMW Exhaust
    Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00am-6:00pm / Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
    Check out our BLOG for the latest updates and discounts!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

this guy made 453wrhp on a 50 shot with just a custom exhaust, downpipes on 91oct.
    http://www.fsrmotorsports.com/builds...i-turbo-part-1
    E50 PTF

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Honestly I just don't think this whole thing is a good idea. It's a poor test for what the motor can handle, as it will only tell us what abuse it can take on stock frames, and that's only your motor, it's not going to be like throwing on big turbos and then throwing Nos at it. The only thing this will do is give you a glory run on the dyno for possibly taking the stock turbo whp record, which no one is honestly going to care about as it will only be a glory run and nothing else. Looking out for you I'd say just forget about it, it will be a waste of money and who knows what else you'll damage costing you more to rebuild.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

I know there was someone a few years back that hit north of 500 on the stock fans with nitrous, I don't remember the exact number. What could be interesting as well would be spraying down low and finding out the torque rods let go at heh. Just be careful not to damage the block if you're rebuilding that one :-)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

What you manage with one setup you may not get with the others.

The best way is obviously direct port and some high octane fuel to go with it. You'll definitely have the most even distribution and be able to do more than a dry shot.

Weren't people having concerns about puddling with a wet shot?

Regardless, direct port and let it rip.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

at this point I would leave the healthy motor alone. not worth blowing it up for some unrealistic stock turbo record IMO. But do what you want..
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rdeterman Click here to enlarge
    at this point I would leave the healthy motor alone. not worth blowing it up for some unrealistic stock turbo record IMO. But do what you want..
    On the bright side replacements motors are cheap and plentiful for this car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast