Close

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ging Click here to enlarge
    I have a spare block for him…..Click here to enlarge

Attachment 35585
    I have no idea who that is in the picture but the artwork behind it matching is amazing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

That is my ginger self holding a brand-new s65 block and the artwork is end part of are christmas window painting decorations
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I have no idea who that is in the picture but the artwork behind it matching is amazing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Why are you holding a brand new block?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

just got it and was showing the person we are building it of a fun pic of it.
    Why are you holding a brand new block?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ging Click here to enlarge
    just got it and was showing the person we are building it of a fun pic of it.
    And it is being built to do...?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Beat you Sticky! Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

And it is being built to do...?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by IMHOWTFFTW Click here to enlarge
    Beat you Sticky! Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Even after the trans is done I don't think I'm going to be done. Turbos seems to be calling my name. I dreamt about them last night.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I am really looking forward to that release. Blaze a new path.Click here to enlarge

Even after the trans is done I don't think I'm going to be done. Turbos seems to be calling my name. I dreamt about them last night.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by IMHOWTFFTW Click here to enlarge
    I am really looking forward to that release. Blaze a new path.Click here to enlarge
    Ok anyone want a Stage III+ supercharger kit for the M3 at less than half the price?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Ok anyone want a Stage III+ supercharger kit for the M3 at less than half the price?
    Too bad this kit needs an engine build with it.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    Too bad this kit needs an engine build with it.
    It doesn't. If someone wants a stock internal kit you can use the YSI or go for the smaller blower. Just run less boost and if you want to run more power go ahead and build the motor and have the brackets and parts all ready for more. Everything else carries over.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

It doesn't. If someone wants a stock internal kit you can use the YSI or go for the smaller blower. Just run less boost and if you want to run more power go ahead and build the motor and have the brackets and parts all ready for more. Everything else carries over.
    How much is less than half price?
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    How much is less than half price?
    Less than a brand new ESS-VT2 whatever, Gintani Stage I, II, III, Active Level whatever, etc.

I forgot I have custom headers too. Oh yeah and a meth kit. Probably some other stuff I'm missing.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Has ESS demonstrated proficiency with built motor setups? No. That stroker motor from way back when that was blown never got sorted. I also don't think they have anyone really prepping the blocks well for big power. They just do lower compression pistons and that's about it. That is why you won't see them matching the sleeved setups or going to big boost.

In the defense of ESS they state they do not officially sell or support a VT3 package so they are honest about their limitations. They cite one VT3 that is running reasonably well but that car is dialed back to protect the block. I think when pushed you get the result you see here.
    This is the biggest take away for me... IF ESS doesn't feel comfortable retailing the VT3 to the masses, then they shouldn't be retailing it to any "customers". By selling the VT3 setup to a handful of customers (some very prominent on the forums), they are putting themselves in the firing line 1) for having more requests for this setup and 2) putting their name behind a product that clearly isn't very reliable.

Honestly, I believe that any of the mainstream tuners (Active, Evolve, Gintani, VF and yes even ESS) can tune a Built Motor S65 successfully. But I think they need to step back and acknowledge their capability as engine builders and what are the physical limitations of the S65.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    This is the biggest take away for me... IF ESS doesn't feel comfortable retailing the VT3 to the masses, then they shouldn't be retailing it to any "customers". By selling the VT3 setup to a handful of customers (some very prominent on the forums), they are putting themselves in the firing line 1) for having more requests for this setup and 2) putting their name behind a product that clearly isn't very reliable.

Honestly, I believe that any of the mainstream tuners (Active, Evolve, Gintani, VF and yes even ESS) can tune a Built Motor S65 successfully. But I think they need to step back and acknowledge their capability as engine builders and what are the physical limitations of the S65.
    This is just my personal theory and I'm not saying it's what happens but just what I think happens behind the scenes.

ESS has some guys that push their setups and that get some 'extra' support versus others showing numbers somehow nobody else is hitting with supposedly the same pulley, fuel, tune, etc., as everyone else. Some guys that maybe go a bit too far are quietly then upgraded to a VT3 behind the scenes in exchange for keeping their mouths shut. It's happened with guys who said they weren't going to do a built motor setup suddenly going quiet and then saying oh yeah I intended to do a VT3 (which isn't officially offered) all along. How can you intend to do something they don't offer? The VT3 is the oopsy stage IMO.

Do I believe some VT3 guys were VT2 guys that blew a motor? Yes. There may be all kinds of reasons for that blown motor but then they are moved to a VT3 setup by default so to speak. It's done as cheaply as possible simply getting lower compression pistons and reusing all the rest of the same hardware.

I think any of the tuners can tune a built motor setup. Tuning it and building the hardware are two different things. As is tuning for much higher horsepower setups.

Active has the resources to build you a solid motor. Evolve as well. You can also go to VAC. I'm not sold on VF but I have seen them get good results when they got a good engine builder/tuner. They can't do it in hosue. Gintani has demonstrated the ability to do different setups, tunes, and hardware setups for the S65 in-house. It's a step above the self-proclaimed 'best' who tout they are the best due to sales figures. KIA sells more cars than Ferrari, so what?

ESS has limitations. A one size fits all stock internal bolt on 'kit' and a custom low compression setup designed for high performance require vastly different skill sets. If ESS is as good as they claim, why can't they compete? Why don't they sell a VT3? Why can't they go head to head? The answer is because they can't.

There is a big wave of change coming in the S65 scene. I can't say what's going on but hopefully people will finally have their eyes opened unless they intend to keep their heads buried in the sand.

By the way, I'm not saying the ESS supercharger kits aren't good. They are a fine choice as is the Vortech based supercharger hardware. I'm just saying they aren't nearly as good as the manipulated perception they have created through a certain forum. They're actually better at doing that than they are at building/tuning high performance S65 setups.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

There is a big wave of change coming in the S65 scene. I can't say what's going on but hopefully people will finally have their eyes opened unless they intend to keep their heads buried in the sand.
    I 100% agree that the E9x M3 is going to get a TON of aftermarket attention, between the car entering the ~$35k used market, the S65 motor itself, and now with FI options coming into themselves -- Stock/Built Motor Supercharged or Turbo. Just add a high HP/reliable DCT upgrade and it's golden.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Just add a high HP/reliable DCT upgrade and it's golden.
    And this exists and is being installed. New discs, new pump, new pan (thanks so much for that leaky piece of $#@! SSP) and new tuning. It's going to hold whatever is thrown at it and I can launch as much as I want to.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Good breakdown sticky.

This is just my personal theory and I'm not saying it's what happens but just what I think happens behind the scenes.

ESS has some guys that push their setups and that get some 'extra' support versus others showing numbers somehow nobody else is hitting with supposedly the same pulley, fuel, tune, etc., as everyone else. Some guys that maybe go a bit too far are quietly then upgraded to a VT3 behind the scenes in exchange for keeping their mouths shut. It's happened with guys who said they weren't going to do a built motor setup suddenly going quiet and then saying oh yeah I intended to do a VT3 (which isn't officially offered) all along. How can you intend to do something they don't offer? The VT3 is the oopsy stage IMO.

Do I believe some VT3 guys were VT2 guys that blew a motor? Yes. There may be all kinds of reasons for that blown motor but then they are moved to a VT3 setup by default so to speak. It's done as cheaply as possible simply getting lower compression pistons and reusing all the rest of the same hardware.

I think any of the tuners can tune a built motor setup. Tuning it and building the hardware are two different things. As is tuning for much higher horsepower setups.

Active has the resources to build you a solid motor. Evolve as well. You can also go to VAC. I'm not sold on VF but I have seen them get good results when they got a good engine builder/tuner. They can't do it in hosue. Gintani has demonstrated the ability to do different setups, tunes, and hardware setups for the S65 in-house. It's a step above the self-proclaimed 'best' who tout they are the best due to sales figures. KIA sells more cars than Ferrari, so what?

ESS has limitations. A one size fits all stock internal bolt on 'kit' and a custom low compression setup designed for high performance require vastly different skill sets. If ESS is as good as they claim, why can't they compete? Why don't they sell a VT3? Why can't they go head to head? The answer is because they can't.

By the way, I'm not saying the ESS supercharger kits aren't good. They are a fine choice as is the Vortech based supercharger hardware. I'm just saying they aren't nearly as good as the manipulated perception they have created through a certain forum. They're actually better at doing that than they are at building/tuning high performance S65 setups.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Simply put there's some people who have too much $$$ and little knowledge. I have found that over the course of owning over 25-30 cars (most built) that the more expensive the car, the less knowledge the owner has.

If anyone thinks they're gonna get a warranty on a built motor (unless this was assembly error) they're crazy.

Even more crazy to not run gauges in even the smalles SC setups.

These cars really should have dedicated AFR gauges, and IMO I would run 2 of em, one in each collector.

Tuning a SC car is not rocket science. Boost is dependent on RPM on a linear scale. Tuning turbos are more in depth, but essentially, you can put the car together and as long as the fuel pump is capable, add a rising rate regulator and it will add fuel pressure as boost increases.

This car looks like it was also beat on and detonated to the point of blowing up. Not uncommon, I have blown up plenty of motors, and rarely have blamed my guy who built it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by s65e90 Click here to enlarge
    Tuning a SC car is not rocket science. Boost is dependent on RPM on a linear scale.
    Exactly.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by s65e90 Click here to enlarge
    This car looks like it was also beat on and detonated to the point of blowing up. Not uncommon, I have blown up plenty of motors, and rarely have blamed my guy who built it
    That it does. You need to have good quality hardware too. This motor doesn't look all that different from the blown stroker motor.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456