Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Oh I see ess does but doesnt, but really does do 8000 different pulley setups..and if your motor lets go, huess what, its not their current spec, SO YOU HAVE NO WARRANTY!"
    which is only for hardware anyway.. hey, guess how many more 650 kits have blown up overseas.. or even better.. guess what happened to old mr only 5 psi but 580hp shortboarders car?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Where does anyone see they cover your engine under any circumstance anyway? If they do not state they will cover your engine when you purchase a kit the OP is just wasting their time and ours.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

People blaming a supercharger kit for a blown motor is basically insane. Too much boost, bad fuel, bad tuning, or a combo of all of them are basically the things that are going to grenade a motor, not the hardware bolted to it. Pretty Pretty Pretty Pretty simple.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

they built the motor so they are responsible for that IF it was a failure due too improper build but this is obv not the case... This car was not finished getting tuned and they know this guy has a tendency to tinker and abuse the car so I have no idea why they would release a build that cost a fortune before it was finalized... if i ran a company and the customer wanted that car back and i knew tuning was no where near finalized I would make the customer sign a waiver to avoid stuff like this.
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andrew@activeautowerke Click here to enlarge
    The car is down right now while we install some cams Click here to enlarge
    I thought this was happening like 6 months ago? The purple car right?
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    I thought this was happening like 6 months ago? The purple car right?

Its blue. We were tinkering around with the idea for awhile.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

interesting stuff
    Last edited by GearHead03; 01-09-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    they built the motor so they are responsible for that IF it was a failure due too improper build but this is obv not the case... This car was not finished getting tuned and they know this guy has a tendency to tinker and abuse the car so I have no idea why they would release a build that cost a fortune before it was finalized... if i ran a company and the customer wanted that car back and i knew tuning was no where near finalized I would make the customer sign a waiver to avoid stuff like this.
    I have never ever in my life of working on high performance vehicles, since a race motor come with any sort of warranty at all. Doesn't matter what happens to it. This is why you always have motors built by people who know their $#@!, in this instance, from everything I have read in this post (obviously very limited), it truly sounds like nothing was wrong with the motor, detonation will kill even the strongest motor if you let it detonate long enough. Like 400 miles of high HP driving with a fuel issue on higher than recommended boost....Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

never a warranty, of coarse not... but if you hand back a motor you built with no oil in it thats your fault lol
    or if you dont tourque the clutch down and a bolt backs out and wrecks the clutch and flywheel, that kind of stuff im talking about...

just like if any one person sold a set of turbos with wg out of spec or wheel not balanced... but again that is NOT THE CASE HERE AT ALL... this guy just left the shop beat the hell out of the car, noticed issues called ESS than beat the hell out of some more until it blew LOL

i just wouldnt ever release a car when i was paid to build the motor, upgrade the aftermarket SC kit, and tune it.... before the tuning was completed without a waiver if the owner was demanding his car back before it was finished being tuned.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    I have never ever in my life of working on high performance vehicles, since a race motor come with any sort of warranty at all. Doesn't matter what happens to it. This is why you always have motors built by people who know their $#@!, in this instance, from everything I have read in this post (obviously very limited), it truly sounds like nothing was wrong with the motor, detonation will kill even the strongest motor if you let it detonate long enough. Like 400 miles of high HP driving with a fuel issue on higher than recommended boost....Click here to enlarge
    100% AGREE ! If its obviously the builders fault you should do as much as possible o help the situation though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Sucks for both to be honest. Its like a perfect storm. On one side you have ESS doing a poor job handling a beta customer with their VT3 build and on the other side you have a customer that doesn't understand the intricacies of the setup they're running, minimal to no knowledge of what it takes to have and monitor a heavily modified car when putting it through its paces. I sort of feel bad for both to a point to be honest but you could see the issues coming from a mile away especially after the first motor failure. ESS simply shouldn't have accepted this customer into their beta program knowing the history very well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andrew@activeautowerke Click here to enlarge
    100% AGREE ! If its obviously the builders fault you should do as much as possible o help the situation though.
    I agree 100%, and also I agree with D above, sucks for everyone involved, but I feel like when you sign up for that kind of power, you should educate yourself on the basics of when to stop running it and seek help when there is a problem, that this thread exists is like a black eye for both vendor and OP.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    The vendor is hurt the most. Most people do not read the posts in detail and tend to side with the poor guy who spent $30-$50k. All they see is an ESS motor broke within 2000 miles.

When I was racing my mustang, we ran into issues when we were running high boost. I worked with my machinist and we discussed various options to deal with it. First attempt did not work. We would blow head gaskets every few runs. Eventually, we o-ringed the block and a few other tricks and got it to work.

I never once asked for any free work or warranty. I knew that I was building a full on race motor and it could break on the 1st pass. My machinist was very fair with me. He never killed me on the machine work and parts to fix it. The key was, we worked together.

I do not think that the OP gave ESS the opportunity to work something out. I doubt the block is junk. They can bore it 30 over or sleeve it and get new pistons. That really is not a big dollar fix.

If I was ESS, once this is worked out, I would fire him as a customer. There is not enough $$ in the build/install/tune to make it worthwhile.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Agree.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brian425 Click here to enlarge
    The vendor is hurt the most. Most people do not read the posts in detail and tend to side with the poor guy who spent $30-$50k. All they see is an ESS motor broke within 2000 miles.

When I was racing my mustang, we ran into issues when we were running high boost. I worked with my machinist and we discussed various options to deal with it. First attempt did not work. We would blow head gaskets every few runs. Eventually, we o-ringed the block and a few other tricks and got it to work.

I never once asked for any free work or warranty. I knew that I was building a full on race motor and it could break on the 1st pass. My machinist was very fair with me. He never killed me on the machine work and parts to fix it. The key was, we worked together.

I do not think that the OP gave ESS the opportunity to work something out. I doubt the block is junk. They can bore it 30 over or sleeve it and get new pistons. That really is not a big dollar fix.

If I was ESS, once this is worked out, I would fire him as a customer. There is not enough $$ in the build/install/tune to make it worthwhile.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brian425 Click here to enlarge

good post

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

400 miles into a new motor and set up and OP drive it up to 160 mph in 3rd gear... really.. what an idiot.. ad infinitum... up to 290 kph on a new motor with modded SC... with fueling issues that he knew about.. then he has the gall to cry to ESS... after he had modded 2 other set ups with BLOWN MOTORS.....

OP is really to blame here for probably 85-100% of the problem
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

All valid points, but at what point does the fact 3 of 4 vt3s blown implicate the builder/vt3 specs/tuning and not the customers that were using the car for its intended purpose?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    All valid points, but at what point does the fact 3 of 4 vt3s blown implicate the builder/vt3 specs/tuning and not the customers that were using the car for its intended purpose?
    Honestly, I think it is part of development. As I stated, once we crossed 25lbs of boost on the Mustangs, they would break all the time. We tried o-ringed head gaskets, moving away from aluminum heads, different head studs, single o-ringed blocks to a dual o-ring set up.

I never once blamed my machinist. We we figuring out how to solve a problem and go faster. Blown head gaskets were so common, we would simply change them between every round.

I was not a lack of skill or knowledge. I was pushing the envelop to go faster.

The VT3 is not for sale as a package now. The guy who built that set up is a racer, "The fastest M3 in Russia."

It costs a lot of money to go very fast. You can build a car that will rarely break; but, you will never be the fastest with that kind of set up. To be the fastest, you need to be experimenting. Sometimes, experimenting means breaking parts and spending money.

We also need to understand the type of failures people are having. Are they all fuel related failures? Or did one spin a bearing and a second wipe a cam, etc.

When the VT3 is sold to the public as a package, it will be fair to say that the failure rate is too high. Until then, it is a developmental project. The cost to get in is big $$$ and the willingingness to closely monitor the motor and deal with it if it breaks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Using the car for its intended purpose? Sure that's like buying a laptop, overclocking the processor til its overheating and feeding its very low voltage on top of that, then crying to the company that built it when it finally fries itself. Its intended purpose, is to be run at the proper boost, with proper fuel, and tuning. The guy above also brings up a VERY solid point, 400 miles on a new motor, no where near broken in and the guy is just beating on it with known problems. ESS would be smart to fire this guy as a customer, I agree with that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Using the car for its intended purpose? Sure that's like buying a laptop, overclocking the processor til its overheating and feeding its very low voltage on top of that, then crying to the company that built it when it finally fries itself. Its intended purpose, is to be run at the proper boost, with proper fuel, and tuning. The guy above also brings up a VERY solid point, 400 miles on a new motor, no where near broken in and the guy is just beating on it with known problems. ESS would be smart to fire this guy as a customer, I agree with that.

Well to be fair Like @LostMarine said you can't go around shipping kits with all different pulley sizes leaving customers in the dark and being shady then expect customer to be anything but shady as well.. Most have no clue what pulley size they have and the ones that do oddly enough have the highest 625 kit dyno's which are higher than 650 kits... ?? WEIRD.

Lesson for the day.
    1.Don't sell kits that are not 100% ready for a customer to beat up on.
    2. Be more open especially when a paying customer is asking for details about their own kit.
    Last edited by Andrew@activeautowerke; 01-10-2014 at 12:12 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Well to be fair Like @LostMarine said you can't go around shipping kits with all different pulley sizes leaving customers in the dark and being shady then expect customer to be anything but shady as well.. Most have no clue what pulley size they have and the ones that do oddly enough have the highest 625 kit dyno's which are higher than 650 kits... ?? WEIRD.

Lesson for the day. Don't sell kits that are not 100% ready for a customer to beat up on.
    This guy knowing says he was running higher than suggested boost, he claims to be the fastest M3 in Russia, this means he is constantly pushing on the car, my guess is he knew exactly which pulley he had and requested the one for higher boost. I do agree with you to a point, but that the guy made this thread to bash the vendor, then reading how the car was ran, just seems a little low to me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

This guy knowing says he was running higher than suggested boost, he claims to be the fastest M3 in Russia, this means he is constantly pushing on the car, my guess is he knew exactly which pulley he had and requested the one for higher boost. I do agree with you to a point, but that the guy made this thread to bash the vendor, then reading how the car was ran, just seems a little low to me.
    Yeah we are on the same page. I was just talking about their odd pulley practices. This is the customers fault not only for running higher boost than they told him to but, also for buying a 3rd kit after he blew his engine twice already. Time will tell if he buys a 4th haha.
    Last edited by Andrew@activeautowerke; 01-10-2014 at 01:28 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yeah we are on the same page. I was just talking about their odd pulley practices. This is the customers fault not only for running higher boost than they told him to but for buying a 3rd kit after he blew his engine twice already. Time will tell if he buys a 4th haha.
    At some point ethics and/or common sense should hopefully kick in and ESS should reconsider to deal with the same or similar customers again especially on something as critical as beta testing their new and expensive offerings. This particular customer should also use common sense and learn from his mistakes and never try to do something similar again without understanding the risks/consequences.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge
    At some point ethics and/or common sense should hopefully kick in and ESS should reconsider to deal with the same or similar customers again especially on something as critical as beta testing their new and expensive offerings. This particular customer should also use common sense and learn from his mistakes and never try to do something similar again without understanding the risks/consequences.

The E9x community could learn a lot from the e36 crowd. Race engines and built projects engines do Not come with any warranty.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

The E9x community could learn a lot from the e36 crowd. Race engines and built projects engines do Not come with any warranty.
    Agree.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast