Close

Thread: Plug Gap

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Plug Gap

Hi Guys,

I always thought the ignition system on the n54 was kind of weak (easy to misfire). I have been running ngk 5992s and they still wear our pretty quick (start to misfire) with no visible explanation of failure.

In looking for a solution I was thinking the mini coils may be an option since they use the same connector and work with the larger gapped ngk 5992 out of the box. After researching more it looks like all of the newer motors use larger gaps even with the same coils we use. The n63 uses a 1.1mm gap on a single electrode for instance. I am kind of thinking that the 0.022" tapping may be too small and that 0.031-0.035" is more realistic for a single electrode setup.

Any thoughts? Were people misfiring on NGKs at the stock gap? I generally agree that a smaller gap is good for more boost, but the switch from 3 electrodes to 1 changes things a bit I would think.

Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Are the misfires occurring under heavy load? Basic principles are close the gap to prevent the spark being blown out by high boost, but leave the gap as large as possible for more complete fuel burn and gas mileage. I've personally never tried opening the gap on my NGK's, i just close it to the recommended 0.022" and i get 0 misfires. I'm around 20k miles on the NGK's at the moment.

Give it a shot and report back.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Are the misfires occurring under heavy load? Basic principles are close the gap to prevent the spark being blown out by high boost, but leave the gap as large as possible for more complete fuel burn and gas mileage. I've personally never tried opening the gap on my NGK's, i just close it to the recommended 0.022" and i get 0 misfires. I'm around 20k miles on the NGK's at the moment.

Give it a shot and report back.
    I replaced the plugs recently. No misfires now. I guess I am just wondering if the gap is too tight. I pulled out old plugs that looked perfect with .022" gap that were misfiring.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I just ordered the 5992's and will probably run the recommended .022" gap since others are having good luck with it. That being said, I don't remember ever seeing anyone else run a gap that tight on other platforms. I think the smallest I've see was like .025-.028".