Close

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Its ppeculiar to me why they went so small displacement wise. Drivability is based on the displacement so it would make sense to me to throw in a few more CCs to use less boost and have a better street performance. BMW leaves very little room to bore or stroke their new motors too which makes it worse. There is no replacement for displacement, literally. Wish it was a 3.5-4.5L.
    The only way to reach the fleet CO2 objectives is to go for small displacement and high enough boost for all the cars in the fleet. The fleet average for 2020 will be 95g/km, 40% down from the 2007 limit.

Smart engineering results in surprisingly good responsiveness. AMG's 2 liter engine is a good example of that. M2 may get 2 liter 4 banger which will beat the current M235i's three liter engine in power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Aren't those ugr lambos all rwd conversions? Id imagine all that power would rip the awd system to pieces.
    2008 e92 335i: JB4 G5 ISO/BMS back end flash, fbo, e85, inlets, Rb turbos, level 10 valve body + converter, water/methanol.....and a lot more....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    Gotta disagree Dz, LSX powered street cars have been driving to the strip, running mid sevens and then driving home for the better part of a decade. GTRs still aren't about that life.
    Physically driving on the street and being streetable are two different things. Got a picture of one of those cars? I have a pretty good idea of what it looks like...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    " you aint about dat life ... you dont drift, you aint about that life ... " i gotta go watch that video again now
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Legionofboom Click here to enlarge
    No a proper drag strip car is not comparable to a alpha12 GTR, you CANT drive them on the streets, You can't have other people in them.

(most) drag racing cars that runs <9's are not driving on the street like GTRs.
    Um you must not be familiar with what street cars are running these days. These are DOT approved drag radials on these cars. Yeah GTR's are great and all but this rules and will and always rule the strip. Keep in mind these guys are class limited. If they really let loose...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    Gotta disagree Dz, LSX powered street cars have been driving to the strip, running mid sevens and then driving home for the better part of a decade. GTRs still aren't about that life.
    Ding, ding, ding, winner.

Too many kids who are buying into GTR hype. There are so many LSX's out there that would smash the strongest GTR in the world on the strip that it's a joke.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stucks Click here to enlarge
    Aren't those ugr lambos all rwd conversions? Id imagine all that power would rip the awd system to pieces.
    Not all of them, no. UGR has driveline upgrades available if you have the cash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Physically driving on the street and being streetable are two different things. Got a picture of one of those cars? I have a pretty good idea of what it looks like...
    You can get a 2500+ horse motor from NRE that a GTR will never get close to and yes be streetable. 1300+ on pump gas if you want.

This will chew up a GTR and spit its little motor back to Japan:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You can get a 2500+ horse motor from NRE that a GTR will never get close to and yes be streetable. 1300+ on pump gas if you want.

This will chew up a GTR and spit its little motor back to Japan:

Now that is a work of art. A shame to hide it under a hood.
    335i Coupe, JB4 (G4, map 5) DCI and 40% E85 blend: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe: 12.173 @ 109.490 MPH

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 Click here to enlarge
    Now that is a work of art. A shame to hide it under a hood.
    Well you can't exactly just strap a racing seat to it and ride it around town. Not a bad idea though...

Yes, those motors are beautiful. I'm sure they can get you 3000+ hp if you want. 'Merica wins at the end of the day if all you want is raw power.

I'm surprised people don't go to NRE and just say give me all you can so I can rule Moscow Unlimited, Texas 2K, the mile, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well you can't exactly just strap a racing seat to it and ride it around town. Not a bad idea though...

Yes, those motors are beautiful. I'm sure they can get you 3000+ hp if you want. 'Merica wins at the end of the day if all you want is raw power.

I'm surprised people don't go to NRE and just say give me all you can so I can rule Moscow Unlimited, Texas 2K, the mile, etc.
    If they were able to make this happen: Click here to enlarge
    someone should figure out a way to do it with the motor from NRE. Click here to enlarge

And yeah, one of the guys with seemingly bottomless pockets should have NRE build the strongest motor they can, then design a chassis around it to be able to put the power down and look good.
    335i Coupe, JB4 (G4, map 5) DCI and 40% E85 blend: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe: 12.173 @ 109.490 MPH

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 Click here to enlarge
    then design a chassis around it to be able to put the power down and look good.
    This is probably the hardest part. What do you put the motor in?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not to mention handling, or hell, even just turning. Live axle? No thanks.

Never understood the pre-occupation with 1/4 mile times on e9x cars, precisely because they are exactly the wrong kind of chassis and suspension to do that. But hey whatever floats your boat. More of a road course guy myself.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajsalida Click here to enlarge
    precisely because they are exactly the wrong kind of chassis and suspension to do that.
    No they aren't. The M3 runs freaking 10's with a blower. What is bad about that?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No they aren't. The M3 runs freaking 10's with a blower. What is bad about that?
    No maybe I wasn't clear. M3 will never run 7's. I wouldn't want to drive one that could. 10's sure still what I'd call a BMW driving machine. To run what LSX drag cars run you'd have to ruin everything that makes it an M3.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajsalida Click here to enlarge
    No maybe I wasn't clear. M3 will never run 7's. I wouldn't want to drive one that could. 10's sure still what I'd call a BMW driving machine. To run what LSX drag cars run you'd have to ruin everything that makes it an M3.
    I agree but that is why drag prepped rear wheel drive American muscle will always rule the strip.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Anything you do to make any car run 7s or 8s is going to ruin what makes it good at handling on a road course or to daily drive. Even the GTRs, everyone that says otherwise is trying to sell a $60k-$100K power package.

Run 11s in the quarter(good performer), still work on a road course(good performer) and be able to DD.

Or

Run 8s in the quarter($#@!ing beast), not work on a road course(at all) and be streetable but not daily driver duty.

You can't have it all.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I agree but that is why drag prepped rear wheel drive American muscle will always rule the strip.
    exactly. Darwinian thing, all the cars begin to look alike engineering wise that go that fast. Like all the road course cars that go fast end up looking like LMP cars or F1 cars. A lot is rules but a lot is just brutal evolution. All funny cars are virtually identical, same with top fuel, or nearly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If that was true, you would see them at Tx2k events. But you see AMS and UGR dominate. Vipers are the next big thang.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If that was true, you would see them at Tx2k events
    Wut?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wut?
    If those "street" (they're not street cars) that are running 7s could really hook up on the streets you would see them at tx2k12-13-14 but you don't because they are drag strip ONLY cars. They're trailered to the track, they run a few passes and are rebuilt.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If those "street" (they're not street cars) that are running 7s could really hook up on the streets you would see them at tx2k12-13-14 but you don't because they are drag strip ONLY cars. They're trailered to the track, they run a few passes and are rebuilt.
    That's not all of them but I think the real reason you don't see them is because they don't have the aerodynamics for top end runs. Yes, they run primarily at the strip.

Roll on racing is a more modern phenomenon with younger owners and newer cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Too many kids who are buying into GTR hype. There are so many LSX's out there that would smash the strongest GTR in the world on the strip that it's a joke.
    Crap I agree with Sticky.

I mean the GTR is a fast car and all. I respect them for sure. But AWD only helps so much. A proper RWD setup (read- not the 335i setup) is actually pretty good off the line, even on the street. And it really just comes down to the LS engines being superior to the RB engines for racing. If you don't believe me think about a LS in a GTR and find something that it wouldn't be superior to hp for hp. Sorry guise.

Also, 1000+hp GTR's like to eat through $15k+ transmissions. The 1500hp guys in Colorado rebuild theirs every few events, and it's not cheap. 4L80 in a domestic and you're done, how is a comparison even possible of which is a better drag platform? I mean you CAN drag race a GTR, sure. But it's not their niche. It's also not the 335i's niche.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    $#@! I feel like arguing. What say you to this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_acceleration
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don’t think Sticky’s point was about bone stock vehicles. It’s about what rules the drag strip at big HP events. And as a bottom line matter, the fastest cars on the strip have been, are, and likely will continue to be RWD Am Muscle. It doesn’t detract from the stupid fast GTRs that are out there, but for every 8 second GTR there are a dozen 8 second LSx’s running around.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast