Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

qubansailor's Blown N54 motor with RB Turbos.

This is on the other forum.. It is known that he threw a rod through his block, teardown pending.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Bad new bear:
    Blew my engine yesterday half way down from Jacksonville to Miami. Rod shot through the side of the block. Metal and oil everywhere. Any recommendations on sourcing an engine and advice to ensure the new engine last forever.
    Story goes like this: I was running a mustang, car blew, metal heard, oil everywhere but not through the pipes.

I wasn't running meth (stop running it a while ago). The car has 82k miles on it (mods listed below).

Believe it or not, the engine still ran!! I had drive it up little hill to the backyard of the house its getting fixed at. What a beast!
    Earlier in the thread we tried to diagnose a consistent lean / knock retard situation, and we got these pre-explosion logs:
    METH: http://datazap.me/u/qubansailor/fuel...5-6-9-10-11-12

No Meth: http://datazap.me/u/qubansailor/ffpr...eth-dump?1-5-6

Following my suggestions:
    Map 1:
    Start Boost 40 or 65 (Test consistency).
    Start Ign Correction 100%.

Map 2:
    Meth maps you can run 70,85 (if you h8 your turbs.)
    Start Ign Correction 0%.

Confirm you haven't changed the Map 1 Ignition Correction Values? I thought the 'cede should be pulling out more timing than it is...

Something to keep an eye on: From fuel trims it looks like Bank 1 is having a slightly harder time hitting AFRs, but it doesn't seem to be a problem for you yet.
    This could mean one or more of your injectors in Bank 1 is wearing / failing versus wear / fail rate in bank 2 (or some problem with your O2 sensors.).

!!! Someone more skilled than me will have to comment on your AFRs going lean when the DME dumps out timing. This may be normal, but leaning out to 15 at several points looks dangerous. !!!

His log was:
    set 100% ign correction
    http://datazap.me/u/qubansailor/100-ic?1-5-6-7-8

From that we recommended he lower his boost and sort out his hardware issue before continuing. Not sure if he followed the advice.

This is a car that rob@vishnu apparently looked at and declared 'running fine'. Would be interesting to see root cause analysis pick this one apart.

*Source: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=866559&page=4
    Last edited by uniter; 12-26-2013 at 10:31 PM. Reason: added source
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    If you sent it back over there now, they would still probably say its running fine.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    If you sent it back over there now, they would still probably say its running fine.
    Ok that's funny.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Anyway, why did he stop running meth?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Crazy, that guy is local to me. I flashed the Vishnu fuel flash for him. That really sucks.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Anyway, why did he stop running meth?
    He was having crazy trim and lean spool issues, timing was dropping out and none of us on E90P could really pin it down.

He was running a pretty aggressive boost curve for pump gas only...No idea what caused this but that's where i'd start. Don't recall specifics but there wasn't a lot of taper IIRC.

Some of the logs he posted up were brutal, the advance curve was as poor as i've seen on an RB car.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

He should have come here and asked for help. Sounds like there were plenty of warning signs. I shed no tears.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

I think it was Uniter...anyways, someone told him in pretty plain terms to relax on the aggressive boost taper until he had the multiple issues figured out.

Honestly it doesn't sound like he did that. At all. Sucks but it is what it is. Push the envelope on pump gas with a car that clearly isn't happy, things can/will go south.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

If my engine exploded it would be pretty bittersweet... Because $+time and single turbo+built Click here to enlarge

Doesn't seem to bother him that much, it's interesting in this case because we have some logs to analyse prior to the issue.
    Provides a good picture of what the danger is if you're relying too much on the ECU to save you from failure.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

7 out of 7 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Lol, 'my car is running lean/misfiring, let's run a mustang!'

I had constant misfire/lean issues with my Procede. I was FBO (Sans intake) + Meth, and I had constant misfires/cyl shutoffs going WOT. After a lot of troubleshooting (new plugs, new injectors (coded) fuel/injector cleaner, running 100% Meth, walnut blast, all o2 sensors, different maps/firmwares on the (you may not) proceed r3v5, I finally fixed all my issues by installing a JB4.

Also I got told by the Vishnu team to install a DCI that will flow more air to fix my lean issue (lol)

Replacing an engine sucks, and who knows how much collateral damage there was. I wouldn't trust the head or the oil cooler at this point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    If my engine exploded it would be pretty bittersweet... Because $+time and single turbo+built Click here to enlarge

Doesn't seem to bother him that much, it's interesting in this case because we have some logs to analyse prior to the issue.
    Provides a good picture of what the danger is if you're relying too much on the ECU to save you from failure.
    I'm not even sure what to take from his logs, they were so so bad looking.

He was running the PROcede right? Can't that at least theoretically retard timing? Oh well, I don't think any tune would have saved him with the issues he was having, and the boost curve he was pushing. All on pump gas why Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135Hoser Click here to enlarge
    Also I got told by the Vishnu team to install a DCI that will flow more air to fix my lean issue (lol)
    This actually did improve things on my procede dramatically... There's a thread on e90 post where people are very confused that DCI fixed the car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

These cars are older now. Stuff is blowing up more frequently. The sky is not falling. Just get a junker motor for 3-5k on eBay and move on. Or have FFTEC or VAC build up something stronger.

The tuning looks awful though. Any time you have 6 timing drops during a single gear run you know something is wrong. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Some people just don't get how thin their safety margin is unless its drawn out for them in a color graph or chart. Apparently not even datazap's excellent color graphs were enough.
    2014 Audi S5. Black w/Black, DSG, Sport Diff, B&O sound, Nav/MMI. Stock for the moment...
    2011 335xi JB4, WW meth - retired
    2008 335xi JB3 - retired

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    too much boost+too little octane+too little fuel+too much procede? Why would you even, i can't....

had me scared for a second there, that something was actually wrong that wasn't fixable :/

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    This actually did improve things on my procede dramatically... There's a thread on e90 post where people are very confused that DCI fixed the car.
    being able to flow MORE air = fixes lean problem sounds really strange. wonder why?
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    The title of this thread kind of implies that the RB's were to blame until you read through the entire thread. I think that's a little unfair to Rob. Seems to be tune related to me.
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Tuned Cobb Stage 2+ | H&R / Koni Sport | BBS LM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

A little knock might not be so bad. But the more you have in a short period of time, the hotter things are getting inside that cylinder, kinda like running more advance. And the hotter things get in there, the greater the chances of more knock, and the greater the chances of catastrophic knock. From those logs it looks like he probably had multiple minor pre detonation events leading up to a major one during one of his lean spikes. GG.

Why do people feel the need to push things on pump gas? Thanks for posting this, hopefully it will help others pay more attention!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I reckon it was the Procede...Click here to enlarge JB4 doesn't allow you to go silly or crazy that way..

But if I was on RB's... I'd be on E85 anytime anyday... Not pump...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dixchen Click here to enlarge
    I reckon it was the Procede...Click here to enlarge JB4 doesn't allow you to go silly or crazy that way..

But if I was on RB's... I'd be on E85 anytime anyday... Not pump...
    I think if you try to target that much boost on map6 and lean it out on pump you could easily blow it up on a jb4 as well. Or Cobb for that matter, but whyyyy...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

He also says the meth controller fried a while back and dumped 2 gallons somewhere (car was off), maybe some got inside a cylinder for a bit of hydrolock. So who knows. One thing is becoming clear to me, N54 is a stout motor to put up with all that before it let go.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Just a combo of too many things culminating in eventual failure. Put a new motor in and do it right the next time around that's all.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    I think if you try to target that much boost on map6 and lean it out on pump you could easily blow it up on a jb4 as well. Or Cobb for that matter, but whyyyy...
    Oh yea. The tuning probably sucked but anyone leaning out pump gas like that with miserable timing and trim issues...no tune or the DME will save you. This should be a case study in what not to do on pump gas maps.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

I feel bad for the guy but he had EVERY indication that something was wrong and to back off.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

1 out of 5 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Soooo, N54 is not the new 2JZ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JStang Click here to enlarge
    The title of this thread kind of implies that the RB's were to blame until you read through the entire thread. I think that's a little unfair to Rob. Seems to be tune related to me.
    I wasn't trying to say that, but I can see where you're coming from - @Sticky warrant a title edit?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast