Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Update (12/28/2013) Upper Timing Chain Guide

I purchased these upper timing chain guides a little while back after I found out that these are a common failure on our cars. Too bad I discovered this after I already had my Beisan fixes/Hub repair.

Click here to enlarge

Well I finally got around to having it installed and what do you know mine was broken at 53k miles, who knows when it actually broke. Hopefully I can put my vanos worries away for now.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Also I have little odds and ends (maintenance items/refresher items/mods) stacking up that I need to get installed. Hopefully I will have some time in the near future to install everything and have some more updates.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Update (1/1/2014) Headlight Lens and Fuel Filter

Not the best picture Click here to enlarge but there is a big difference. I highly recommend changing the lens out. Looks really fresh and new now.

Old (Top) New (Bottom)

Click here to enlarge

I also changed the fuel filter. Makes me really wish I had a lift every time I have to work under the car..

Filter Out

Click here to enlarge

New Filter

Click here to enlarge

Good DIY video of fuel filter replacement:

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Update (1/4/2014) M3F Member Calendar

Got 2 of the M3F member calendars in the mail today. One for my office and one for the wife. I need to submit my pictures to this next year :taser:

Click here to enlarge

I also removed some stickers I had on my car today that were on from a show I went to last year.. automatic 5whp loss Click here to enlarge:

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Update (1/5/2014) Coby Alcantara Shift and E-Brake Boots

I just installed the Coby black alcantara tri M stitch shift and e-brake boots. Love them!

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Next is the wheel, with blue track attack stripe or not??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Update (1/19/2014) BW Intake Elbow and TTFS AIT Relocation Kit

This will have to do until I get a CF airbox Click here to enlarge

BimmerWorld Intake Elbow

Stock Vs. BW

Click here to enlarge

Installed (Crappy pic)

Click here to enlarge

Tuning Tech Frank Smith AIT Relocation Kit

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

*I am not expecting any gains from these modifications

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Minor Update (2/17/2014) Misc OEM Parts

My quest continues to restore this car to OEM Plus status. Picked up a few parts which I probably didn't need but the cost wasn't great so I replaced them.

Cabin Filter Cover New on top old on bottom

Click here to enlarge

Hood Grille New on top old on bottom

Click here to enlarge

Key Emblems

Click here to enlarge

Really hoping for winter to be over soon so I can have some real updates on here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

A picture from a few weeks ago

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Update (2/24/2014) Baby ///M Gear

I got my boy his first ///M gear!

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Let me state this so there is no confusion. Please do not get a tune from Frank or any tuner based off my results. I have seen many cars dyno'd on his dyno and on other dyno's and have yet to see results like mine with my supporting mods. That being said I know you will be happy with your tune and will get great results (15-20whp increase) but the final number will only be off of what you initial baseline is.

To answer the question I have been asked many times on other forums is yes I have dyno'd but at this time I have decided not to post it. I am being asked this a lot recently so I guess I will provide an explanation. After the last graph I posted publicly I got a lot of heat about it. There were at least 2-3 other threads where my car/numbers were mentioned that got ugly and ended up being deleted and closed. Lots of drama and BS being called about the numbers. Independent dyno results were requested by members. So that was what I planned to do for myself if not anyone else for confirmation. Unfortunately I did not do any other dyno's after that session for consistency and had a valve adjustment performed soon after as you can see in the journal. This is where we discovered almost all valves were out of spec (by a little) and I had a broken tab. Well I got all that taken care of and when I had the next opportunity I went back on the dyno to see if the numbers were consistent or for any gains after the repairs. To our shock the car was down on power by a good amount. We did some diagnostics with the autologic tool and determined my cats on my oem headers went bad. So then I sourced some used oem headers from a member on here to put on my car so I could back up the numbers but after some thought I decided not to. Why would I pay for OEM headers/install again when this was a perfect oppurtunity to switch to aftermaket headers which is what I wanted anyways. So after some time I purchased some headers and had them put in. When I had the next available opportunity I put her on the dyno to see what the gains were. Well the car was still down on power by a decent amount. I was very upset to say the least after all this time and money on repairs/maintenence/mods and the car was still making less power than it was with OEM headers/broken tab/valves out of spec. We did some more digging and this was around the time on the forum where a lot of members were talking about there timing being off. Well that was the issue for me. Car ran great, no CEL lights or rough idle but on the dyno after 6500k rpm it would flat line. I really wasn't able to even notice that it was off until I saw it on the dyno. We hooked up the autologic and confirmed it was a timing issue. Well I had our vanos/valve adjustment/header guru Dafoe get the timing straight the next time I had available. We also discovered I had a broken upper timing chain guide at this time and replaced it. This brings me to about a month ago and the car is finally running great and from the last dyno session has made increases in hp/tq from my last posted graph. I even had the tune adjusted to bring my redline down. I feel I am being restricted by the stock air box but regardless still great results. Only thing we can think of to explain for the numbers besides blindly calling it a freak is that it may have cams.. it's quite possible since the PO had a tune on it and headers which we believe were removed before the sale of the car. Car was purchased from the dealer so my attemps to locate the PO went no where.

So that is why I haven't posted. It took a long time to find and solve the problems mainly because of my schedule and money. Car is running great now and making more power. I would like to make sure it is consistent and hopefully get a indy dyno in too. After all this I am past all the drama and happy that it is running well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Update (3/16/2014) CPI High Airflow Air Filter

I got a new air filter from Custom Performance. Didn't take a pic, website shot will have to do.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Update (3/28/2014) OEM Amber corners and sidemarkers

I thought I give the ambers a try. I still have my clear and smoke set so I can switch at any time. It's different but I like it, I think it goes well with the cinnamon interior. I will be needing amber LED tail lights soon.

Edit: Thoughts? Smoke or Amber on Jet Black.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Update (4/5/2014) Amber film on OEM LED tail lights

Let's just say for the price I paid I'm not going to complain. But later in the future I may purchase amber LED tails if a good deal comes up either that or give the film another try since I have enough left over to do it again.

Before
    Click here to enlarge

After
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Amber Corners and Sidemarkers
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Update (4/12/2014) Hit 55k today

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Update (4/12/2014) Independent Dyno (DynoJet in SAE)

This is what my car made on 4/12/2014 on this dyno. I finally had an independent dyno performed on a DynoJet in SAE. I was expecting about 5whp higher, maybe on a different day. I feel like the stock airbox/stock muffler has me maxed out. I am still very happy with the results and to be able to confirm the numbers on another independent dyno.

2004 E46 M3
    6MT
    55k miles

DynoJet
    93 Octane
    4 Gear Pulls

Modifications:
    Active Autowerke headers
    CPI filter
    CPI RTX section 1
    CPI X Stream section 2
    OEM Muffler
    TTFS IAT relocate kit
    TTFS Custom Tune
    BW intake elbow

*It was about 80 degrees in the shop where I dyno'd, much warmer then the last time I posted. A better fan was used last time for cooling. I had my tune adjusted to drop the redline to 8200 and focus more on midrange power. I also don't daily drive the car so gas was sitting in the tank for some time from the crap weather we've been having on the east coast. I feel like the stock airbox is restricting me from making more power. Regardless very happy with my independent results on a independent dynojet SAE considering the conditions. Different day, different conditions/variables most likely would produce different numbers.*

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

KhanArt's E46 M3 Independent Dyno (DynoJet in SAE) - YouTube
    Last edited by KhanArt; 05-01-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Additional Data

Some of you may be thinking that I had 328whp before I did my recent round of maintenence, repairs, and mods (headers) and now after all that I still have 328whp.. what gives?

1. To be clear my main focus is not a high max WHP number, good midrange is what I am after. I have attached a graph below showing that I did make gains with everything I did but in the low and midrange.

2. This is only my opinion so not sure how accurate my thought process is but I feel that with my current set up with a stock airbox and stock muffler I am near maxed out at least when it comes to top end power. I think the car needs to breath better to see better numbers (CSL airbox/free flowing muffler).

3. Finally my current numbers are what I put down on that particular day at that particular dyno. A different day/dyno could yield different results, but again I really feel I am in the high 320's and low 330's. I have tested on 3 dyno's recently and all are within 5whp or so of each other so I would say it's pretty accurate.

This is my before graph: Before vanos fixes, maintenence, headers, and adjustment in tune.

Click here to enlarge

This is before and after (current setup) on the same graph: As you can see I did have gains but the top end is nearly identical as before. Looks like the headers did a good job. Also Frank's dyno is reading within a few hp of the dynojet. *Keep in mind I also had my redline dropped from 8400 to 8200.

Click here to enlarge

This is the latest graph of the current setup: Independent Dynojet in SAE

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Why do you not have any numbers on Frank's dyno?

That is a hell of a string of updated btw, great stuff.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why do you not have any numbers on Frank's dyno?

That is a hell of a string of updated btw, great stuff.
    Thank you. All the graphs I posted are from Frank's dyno dynamics which he has sold now and he has a brand new AWD datacom dyno. Only this last dynojet graph I posted is from a different independent dyno.

I have not posted any graphs from Frank's new dyno since it reads a little lower than dynojet and it will just confuse people.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KhanArt Click here to enlarge
    I have not posted any graphs from Frank's new dyno since it reads a little lower than dynojet and it will just confuse people.
    Actually I was waiting for the Dynocom numbers so if you have them I think you would really help people. This isn't your typical poorly educated forum crowd: http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...om-dynamometer
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I can tell you I made 309whp on the dynocom which is supposed to be reading around 10% less than dynojet's give or take. Please don't quote me I know how heated tuning and dyno numbers can get. Not trying to throw Frank under the bus. It was on a dyno day where he had a rep from dynocom there running the dyno. My tq number was reading high and they were still trying to dial it in that day but the whp is fairly accurate. If you add 10% to 309 it puts me around 330/331 which sounds about right.

I will look and see if I have a graph of that run but again I will tell you my tq numbers were not accurate and actually I was requested not to post to save all the drama.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KhanArt Click here to enlarge
    I can tell you I made 309whp on the dynocom which is supposed to be reading around 10% less than dynojet's give or take. Please don't quote me I know how heated tuning and dyno numbers can get. Not trying to throw Frank under the bus. It was on a dyno day where he had a rep from dynocom there running the dyno. My tq number was reading high and they were still trying to dial it in that day but the whp is fairly accurate. If you add 10% to 309 it puts me around 330/331 which sounds about right.

I will look and see if I have a graph of that run but again I will tell you my tq numbers were not accurate and actually I was requested not to post to save all the drama.
    Heh, man, nobody thinks you are trying to throw him under the bus. The numbers are great IMO. I just want to see how the Dynocom reads in relation to the other dynos. It isn't going to confuse me I promise Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Update (4/14/2014) Teaser shots of what's to come next

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Update (4/16/2014) Keychain, driving gloves, and steering wheel

I got a piston keychain to go along with my M keychain, still trying to get my hands on the head gasket keychain Borja showed us.

Click here to enlarge

M driving gloves for the times I want to look like a wanker Click here to enlarge:

Click here to enlarge

Coby Wheel, I love this thing. Went with something a little different then your standard wrapped wheel. Will have better pics and review whenever I get it installed. Can't wait.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Update (4/18/2014) Coby Wheel Installed

I got a chance late last night to install the wheel. I didn't really bother to take pictures of the installation process since it has been done many times before. Anyways I love the wheel it goes great with my shift and e-brakes boots. Mike (Coby Wheel) was very good in responding to the many emails I sent him with questions. Excellent customer service. Only one picture for now, I will do a photo shoot later.

Black Alcantara
    M Tri Stitch
    Perforated Alcantara sides
    Cinnamonish Lamb Skin 12 O'clock stripe

Click here to enlarge

Also we had beautiful weather today so I took the family out to a park and then dinner in the M, hit a lot of the local twisties :shiftdriv Wifey and baby enjoyed it :thumbsup2:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

@KhanArt car looks great bro. Awesome updates.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    @KhanArt car looks great bro. Awesome updates.
    Thanks Ejaz, hope you figure your issue out.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast