Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by maxnix Click here to enlarge
    LYFAO! This is a BMW forum, not a Mitsubishi one! Click here to enlarge
    No $#@!. Since no BMW has been over 20psi with this wheel combo it was an example of what it can do with 2 less cylinders.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by maxnix Click here to enlarge
    Oh, don't worry about that as they understand the limits of a low room-temperature equivalent IQ. Click here to enlarge

One read of the BMW publication detailing the improvements of the N55 over the N54 would cure you of your misconceptions. Maybe the comic book edition will be out soon. Click here to enlarge

When one looks at the S55, one realizes there are a lot more N55 design improvements in it than N54 legacy design. There is a reason it is not a revised S54. Click here to enlarge
    +10000....2014 will be the year of the N55 Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    I think you are wrong... check dragtimes. 123.9 has been seen. This was also on a car running 18psi on stockers on E85 no meth. Not saying this isn't solid... it certainly is over the stock N55 setup but it's still embarrassing when compared to the previous motor when there is tons of over 120 MPH cars on stockers.
    Right you are talking about a platform/combo that has been fine tuned for over 5 years vs a car that's been run for 5 days lol. One look at the graph/logs shows it holds boost much better up top where the stock turbos on n54's are running out of breath and pushed dangerously hard on the wastegates. Plus it's been said the MAF is a restriction on boost right now so we'll see what happens when it's really pushed more and fine tuned. This will walk away from stock turbo n54's up top and see it landed in the middle of stock turbo n54 and hybrid turbo n54's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What is the AR of the stock housing/frame? Is it .63?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by iuhutch Click here to enlarge
    What is the AR of the stock housing/frame? Is it .63?
    I would have to send it out to have it checked, its not stamped like a lot of turbos are, by looking at it, low to mid 40's, that also makes sense for an OEM looking for linear power curves from a turbocharged car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Great work Terry and Tony!
    Can't wait to see what this does in a 135i with DCT Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very nice! I would rock a n55 that fast. That'd be the perfect DD that could run down a C6 zo6 or the new gt500 and have all the perks and comfort!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    C6 z06 is faster than you think ^
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    C6 z06 is faster than you think ^
    Came out in 06 and still spanking cars left and right in stock mode.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Don't underestimate the plastic fantastic in a straight line.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Awesome work Tony!
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just imagine once we get Vanos tuning to go with it! I'll have to break down and get one eventually, just not sure when. I always get the bug in the summer time Click here to enlarge I have CPO for another 40k miles...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

New quickest and fastest BMW N55 1/4 mile record - Vargas Turbo Tech upgraded and JB4 tuned 335 runs 11.4@123

Congratulations are in order to BMS (Burger Motorsports) and Vargas Turbo Technologies on pushing the N55 BMW platform to new hights. Aftermarket BMW tuning has been dominated by the BMW N54 twin turbo motor up until this point and the newer single turbo N55 inline-6 motor has not received quite as much attention. As the N54 is out of production the N55 is finally getting a bit of tuner love and the proof is below in a new quickest and fastest world record 1/4 mile run.

Click here to enlarge

This 335 is the same car that set the N55 horsepower record last week with a 468 wheel horsepower run on a Dynojet thanks to its upgraded turbocharger from Vargas. BMS did the tuning and the result is a new world record in the real world on the drag strip. The 335 in question in an automatic vehicle and the run took place at the Famoso drag strip in California.

This is still very early in the upgraded turbocharger game for the N55 motor so enthusiasts can expect the numbers to improve over the next year as the N55 motor finally gets to the next level. Congratulations to all involved, well done.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is the daily driver Ive been dreaming about. Cant wait till its retrofitted to work on a 435.

Congrats to all involved in this project.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lol at the guy who thinks this will take a Z06 C6.

Good numbers guys.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andrew@activeautowerke Click here to enlarge
    This is the daily driver Ive been dreaming about. Cant wait till its retrofitted to work on a 435.

Congrats to all involved in this project.
    Hey Andrew, do you have any info that the 435;s might be using a different turbo or something? Curious. I think tuning is going to be the biggest stumbling block.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The biggest problem with the 435 is they use the electric wastegate. But with a kit like this the JB4 could control boost using a pneumatic wastegate like the older N55s use. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    The biggest problem with the 435 is they use the electric wastegate. But with a kit like this the JB4 could control boost using a pneumatic wastegate like the older N55s use. Click here to enlarge
    I do not see the electronic gates as a problem at all. They do the same thing as a vacuum gate would, just with voltage instead of vacuum, spoof the DME into thinking its seeing less boost than it is, its going to open the electronic gate later just as it would a vacuum gate. The biggest problem I see with these is, the DV. Since they have eliminated vacuum, you have no way to open a DV. An electronic DV that can hold high boost is going to have to be developed. That will not be an easy task, nor is something in the scope of work we could do as a turbo company.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    I do not see the electronic gates as a problem at all. They do the same thing as a vacuum gate would, just with voltage instead of vacuum, spoof the DME into thinking its seeing less boost than it is, its going to open the electronic gate later just as it would a vacuum gate. The biggest problem I see with these is, the DV. Since they have eliminated vacuum, you have no way to open a DV. An electronic DV that can hold high boost is going to have to be developed. That will not be an easy task, nor is something in the scope of work we could do as a turbo company.
    Technically speaking it's not quite that easy. As of right now we don't have control over them but that should come with time. But retrofitting a pneumatic we could control that today.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Technically speaking it's not quite that easy. As of right now we don't have control over them but that should come with time. But retrofitting a pneumatic we could control that today.
    Maybe I am misunderstanding as I have not played with one yet, but the vacuum actuated gates are controlled by the DME provided voltage to a solenoid to vary PWM to allow that vacuum to pass through as needed to open and close the gates, when you spoof the system the DME thinks its seeing less boost so it doesn't allow the passing of vacuum to open the gate providing that extra boost. With the electronic gate it would seem, as I said I have no idea, that they just removed the vacuum middle man and now can use that voltage to control the gate directly. Again I am asking for an explanation as it would help me as well to understand how they work. So if you fooled the DME into thinking it was making less boost, it would still have control over the electronic gate it would just do so later, allowing for more boost? Any help on understanding would great as I am going to be seeing them sooner rather than later. Also, the DV is still a major issue even if you put a vacuum or boost gate on the turbo, its going to bleed boost until addressed. I also found a replacement boost actuated gate that will work on the N55 that I will play around with when I get time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Maybe I am misunderstanding as I have not played with one yet, but the vacuum actuated gates are controlled by the DME provided voltage to a solenoid to vary PWM to allow that vacuum to pass through as needed to open and close the gates, when you spoof the system the DME thinks its seeing less boost so it doesn't allow the passing of vacuum to open the gate providing that extra boost. With the electronic gate it would seem, as I said I have no idea, that they just removed the vacuum middle man and now can use that voltage to control the gate directly. Again I am asking for an explanation as it would help me as well to understand how they work. So if you fooled the DME into thinking it was making less boost, it would still have control over the electronic gate it would just do so later, allowing for more boost? Any help on understanding would great as I am going to be seeing them sooner rather than later. Also, the DV is still a major issue even if you put a vacuum or boost gate on the turbo, its going to bleed boost until addressed. I also found a replacement boost actuated gate that will work on the N55 that I will play around with when I get time.
    The basic problem is the control scheme is sort of different. With the pneumatic duty cycle is increased to allow more vacuum in to the wastegate canister, to provide more force pulling it closed, to counteract the back pressure trying to push it open. With the new electric gate, with my current understanding of it, duty cycle is applied to determine an absolute position of the gate, and then varied as needed by the DME's PID to control boost. This subtle change makes piggyback tuning for them a lot more difficult. And currently there are zero F series flash tools available.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The basic problem is the control scheme is sort of different. With the pneumatic duty cycle is increased to allow more vacuum in to the wastegate canister, to provide more force pulling it closed, to counteract the back pressure trying to push it open. With the new electric gate, with my current understanding of it, duty cycle is applied to determine an absolute position of the gate, and then varied as needed by the DME's PID to control boost. This subtle change makes piggyback tuning for them a lot more difficult. And currently there are zero F series flash tools available.
    Makes perfect sense. I think tuning the newer cars is going to get harder and harder as the DME's get more complicated. Looks like getting a good turbo upgrade ready to go will be easier than figuring out tuning.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Makes perfect sense. I think tuning the newer cars is going to get harder and harder as the DME's get more complicated. Looks like getting a good turbo upgrade ready to go will be easier than figuring out tuning.
    So true, unfortunately.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JETmn Click here to enlarge
    Just imagine once we get Vanos tuning to go with it! I'll have to break down and get one eventually, just not sure when. I always get the bug in the summer time Click here to enlarge I have CPO for another 40k miles...
    From my understanding, all the vanos tables are available with the cars the new N55 Cobb ATR covers. I cant wait to get one of these on another customers car and let the PTF guys go nuts tuning it...Click here to enlarge Lots of cool things for the N55 crowd.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wasn't there a problem with the heads lifting on the N55 motors as the power goes up? I remember reading about it on one of these forums. Or was that just one car that had that problem?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast