Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Big power on N54 platform seems stuck in limbo, E46 M3 HPF Swap

Was thinking about big power 500hp+ -700hp NOW and the N54 platform is just moving to slow but I love the looks and the car.

How hard would it be to do a E46 M3 Swap with a HPF kit.

I know its harder than it sounds but maybe not.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

go for it and report back.. would be sweet

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

damn just get a e92 m3 and slap a supercharger already

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

It certainly would be very complex with who knows what unforeseen issues. Trying to make it all work with the electronics would be a large headache.

Better off to just get an E46 M3 or go the E92 M3 SC route as mentioned.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It certainly would be very complex with who knows what unforeseen issues. Trying to make it all work with the electronics would be a large headache.

Better off to just get an E46 M3 or go the E92 M3 SC route as mentioned.
    It would actually be around the same difficulty as putting an S54 into an E36....easier than putting it into an E46 LOL

From what I hear was that BMW made all the electronics so complex in the E46, they had to step back, redesign, and dumb things down a bit to make it easier.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    It would actually be around the same difficulty as putting an S54 into an E36....easier than putting it into an E46 LOL
    Physically, of course. My main thinking is getting the electronics sorted out. That is what makes it more complex than the E36.

I don't necessarily think the E92 is less complex electronically than the E46, I believe it would be the reverse. Either way, if anyone tries this I would like to see it Click here to enlarge
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

here is my view on this.

You have engine design becoming more and more advanced, every generation tries to outdo the last. You have engines today with 250 sensors monitoring $#@!, sensors to monitor sensors etc... Now you have a computer with MAJOR computing power to manage all of this, extremely complicated embedded software technology to handle a car with all these inputs.

Now heres the question for all those wanting to do a motor swap on any modern car. What are you going to do with all the sensors on this car? Chuck them? You have yaw sensors for your suspension, differential fluid temperature sensors, spark plug temperature sensors the list goes on to the detail these engines get. Point is, you can swap a relatively new engine into an old car, but can you swap a new engine into a new car? How? I am genuinely interested, because the 135/335 platform dash console probably has more programming in it alone than an entire E30 or E36 alone. What are you going to do if you decide to drop motor XYZ into this chassis, the chassis IS built using a $#@!load of sensory input that has to be removed and controlled via some type of standalone that must emulate every single sensor to make them happy.

edit: now throw in valvetronic, double vanos, direct inject etc... you have a cluster$#@! to try and decipher.

$#@!, if you get HIDs the car throws a code. these new cars are NOT the same motor swap platforms we are used to. This generation is the most profound when it comes to internal combustion complexity.

Next generation or perhaps the one after that will be a new form of locomotion, hybrid electric and eventually 100% electric and that is cake compared to ICE power. Shaft power via electric motors = pure uninterrupted transfer of electrical potenial energy to mechanical energy; nothing in between. That will mark the end of engine tuning.

/rant off
    /more alcohol
    /end
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    here is my view on this.

You have engine design becoming more and more advanced, every generation tries to outdo the last. You have engines today with 250 sensors monitoring $#@!, sensors to monitor sensors etc... Now you have a computer with MAJOR computing power to manage all of this, extremely complicated embedded software technology to handle a car with all these inputs.

Now heres the question for all those wanting to do a motor swap on any modern car. What are you going to do with all the sensors on this car? Chuck them? You have yaw sensors for your suspension, differential fluid temperature sensors, spark plug temperature sensors the list goes on to the detail these engines get. Point is, you can swap a relatively new engine into an old car, but can you swap a new engine into a new car? How? I am genuinely interested, because the 135/335 platform dash console probably has more programming in it alone than an entire E30 or E36 alone. What are you going to do if you decide to drop motor XYZ into this chassis, the chassis IS built using a $#@!load of sensory input that has to be removed and controlled via some type of standalone that must emulate every single sensor to make them happy.

edit: now throw in valvetronic, double vanos, direct inject etc... you have a cluster$#@! to try and decipher.

$#@!, if you get HIDs the car throws a code. these new cars are NOT the same motor swap platforms we are used to. This generation is the most profound when it comes to internal combustion complexity.

Next generation or perhaps the one after that will be a new form of locomotion, hybrid electric and eventually 100% electric and that is cake compared to ICE power. Shaft power via electric motors = pure uninterrupted transfer of electrical potenial energy to mechanical energy; nothing in between. That will mark the end of engine tuning.

/rant off
    /more alcohol
    /end
    We got an echo in here or what? Click here to enlarge

Yep, I agree completely. Just too much electrical nonsense to deal with when doing the swap. It just sounds like a nightmare to resolve.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

yea lol my bad... i posted the same thing twice. you can clean it up if you need to. Leave it in the other thread etc...

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

yea lol my bad... i posted the same thing twice. you can clean it up if you need to. Leave it in the other thread etc...
    It's fine, it kind of works in both places.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

True hah... Bring back my deleted post, i dont know how to undo that. it was in the other thread.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

True hah... Bring back my deleted post, i dont know how to undo that. it was in the other thread.
    Done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

I am actually quite happy with where the N54 platform is. Making 500whp+ is just perfect for the car. It already battles a bit with traction at that rate so increasing the power more will make it a wheelspin monster. End of the day it is what it is and in my books its a very reliable daily driving hypercar that can run 11's with small amount of cash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think I would have to agree with every thing said, I think we will get there and probably sooner that we think.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    The Standback 2 should allow for "non-vacuum-wastegate-actuator" (normal style) turbos, such as the GT35r kit that unfor is going to use. Coupled with the right fueling I think this motor could take 600whp as long as everything is on the safe side. (retarded timing, iat's in check, A/F more on the rich side)

A big, laggy turbo is going to be putting out a lot less heat at 20psi than two little stock turbos spinning themselves to death.

Also, the Standback 2 is going to allow MAP voltage scaling, which means we can use different MAP sensors, such as a 3bar setup. This will keep us from spiking into unreadable "guessing areas" of the ign/fuel/throttle tables of the ecu, considering the stock one maxes at what, 21-23 psi?