Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    638 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Vargas N55 Turbo Upgrade Dyno - Take 2!

Hey guys,

Tony and I buried the hatched, we found the issues preventing the turbo from working as we had originally expected it would work, and I finally have some positive results to report.

I think the data speaks for itself but here are a few notes:

1) Boost with the fix is overall what I expected it would be from the start. It's able to hit ~20psi in the midrange and hold ~18psi @ 6000rpm. There is probably another psi or so of midrange boost in there with a 3.5 bar MAP sensor if we want it. It makes a little less down low which is to be expected. The gains up top are now well worth anything lost. On the street it's spooling faster now and feels great.

2) Tuning is done using JB4 ISO v5.2. We also reworked the back end flash for the E50 + meth fuel and found MBT around 9 degrees peak. The flash is loaded using a Cobb AP. Currently, they only support 2011-early 2012 models. Hopefully more models are added soon. The turbo can be used with the OEM flash but only with E85, or E85 + meth. We'll write pump gas maps for the turbo in the coming weeks for those who are using the back end flash and want to run 91 or 93.

3) With a little more boost and some other tuning tweaks 500whp might be possible with this setup. For now I'm very happy to have 120whp over stock @ 6000rpm. At 468rw this car should have enough power to run mid 11s full weight. I hope to find out this weekend.

4) This car finally lives up to it's "Dr N55" plates. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good, good. Well done Terry and Tony.

Questions:

1. Why aren't you already using the 3.5 bar sensor?

2. Regarding 500 whp that is about the range I was expecting. So, 3.5 bar sensor and retune and... maybe?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Glad you guys were able to get this worked out. Looks like the N55 motor still has some hope. Good thing, too, as it is the future of the 334/435.
    335i Coupe, JB4 (G4, map 5) DCI and 40% E85 blend: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe: 12.173 @ 109.490 MPH

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    638 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is the first turbo upgrade released for the N55 and the OEM turbo can't make more than 20psi. So, we've never developed the N55 JB4 support for one. I'll be working on that in the coming weeks though. The next order of business is to do more real world testing to ensure the tuning is solid and hit the dragstrip.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The OEM turbo is good for around like 370 right? Am I in the right area?

If so, this is a substantial upgade. Basically capable of another 100+ hp and much more torque.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    This is the first turbo upgrade released for the N55 and the OEM turbo can't make more than 20psi. So, we've never developed the N55 JB4 support for one. I'll be working on that in the coming weeks though. The next order of business is to do more real world testing to ensure the tuning is solid and hit the dragstrip.
    I'm just curious as to how much power the N55 will be able to handle before it pops. We haven't found that number on the N54 yet. Hopefully the N55 is just as strong.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    I'm just curious as to how much power the N55 will be able to handle before it pops. We haven't found that number on the N54 yet. Hopefully the N55 is just as strong.
    That's definitely not going to be a problem for a while.

The 500 wheel barrier has to be breached.

Still, this is a momentous occasion for the N55.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    There is hope for the n55! Good stuff!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Dang, some how missed the post about burying the hatchet and new dynos before my last post.

Stock turbo N54s are going to have to watch out for Vargas N55s on the street now, lol.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    That was the goal all along (at. Least from my perspective)! This is surprisingly good outcome and now worthy of the cash to upgrade. Mad props to Tony for what appears to be a brilliant design and mad props to Terry for being resilient and continually troubleshooting even with all the emotion and passion involved and invoked from both sides! Congrats to two very special guys for making this become reality.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    Dang, some how missed the post about burying the hatchet and new dynos before my last post.

Stock turbo N54s are going to have to watch out for Vargas N55s on the street now, lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Great news for the N55 community! I am pleased with the results for the boost and timing run, I think they speak for themselves. I feel justified in my claims that we built a solid product that just needed a couple bugs worked out, which is all part of the testing process. I believe this turbo is capable of much more, and with a little more tuning, some higher boost, possibly timing, it will break the 500 WHP barrier, and hopefully past it. I am very pleased with the spool as well, by 3000 RPM the stock turbo only has a 25 hp / 40 tq advantage, by 3500 / 3600 the turbo catches up and flat runs away from the restrictive stock turbo. The Garrett CHRA with its Dual Ball bearings, will also provide very quick transient response while shifting for minimal boost lost. Not only is this the first real N55 upgrade, it is also the first true Ball Bearing stock frame upgrade for the N54 or N55!

I would like to thank Terry for sticking with the troubleshooting and finding the problem before giving up, and putting it back on the dyno right away to show its potential..Click here to enlarge

I would also like to add, we have FULLY addressed the DV matter, have a stack of DV's sitting in stock, all with the stronger spring, we have also purchased the same GM solenoid Terry is using, as well as having pigtails to create plug and play harnesses for the DV. You simply unplug your stock DV when swapping the turbo, route the plug up near the valve cover, plug the harness into the open plug, the other end to the solenoid, and run your vacuum lines. No cutting of any wiring on the car. Car can be returned to stock with little effort if turbo ever needs to be removed.

All the finished upgrades we have in stock are spoken for, and 1 of the 6 we are machining now. So 5 spots are open. We will actively be seeking more cores.

Again thanks for the patience, and as I said, we feel justified as we knew what the turbo was capable of all along, good to finally see it shine...Click here to enlarge
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tony@VargasTurboTech; 12-11-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Props to Tony and Terry.
    Very nice work guys.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    cant wait to get mine and have it installed Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge <-- Click on pic for the build thread Full 1m conv. Pure Stage 2, helix intercooler, JB4 E85, Seibon Gtr hood, Sparta Evolution calipers and rotors, black lines, apex ec'7s, cks coil overs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VegasJD Click here to enlarge
    cant wait to get mine and have it installed Click here to enlarge
    I knew you'd be stoked seeing these results, I was thinking about you and how you recently pulled the trigger on this!

wanna see this thing up against sranch's car Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Tony, any idea how much boost the kit can make once we put a 3.5bar sensor in. These numbers may show low but we also know jb4 is capping boost at 20psi....which Terry is working to increase.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by iuhutch Click here to enlarge
    I knew you'd be stoked seeing these results, I was thinking about you and how you recently pulled the trigger on this!

wanna see this thing up against sranch's car Click here to enlarge
    thanks for thinking of me...yeah im excited to get it installed tuned and dynoed and suprise some unsuspecting people on the street and strip lol
    Click here to enlarge <-- Click on pic for the build thread Full 1m conv. Pure Stage 2, helix intercooler, JB4 E85, Seibon Gtr hood, Sparta Evolution calipers and rotors, black lines, apex ec'7s, cks coil overs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    awesome!!! great work guys.. I had a feeling you two would figure it out.
    08 328i, totaled by women driver
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This evens up the playing field between the N54 and N55 quite a bit. Nice curve! This is on E50+meth? I think so, just making sure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Tony, any idea how much boost the kit can make once we put a 3.5bar sensor in. These numbers may show low but we also know jb4 is capping boost at 20psi....which Terry is working to increase.
    Those GTX wheels love boost, they are more efficient higher in the boost range. I am hoping Terry pushes it as far as he can and see what he makes. It should easily be able to make over 25 psi down low, and I am guessing should hold 20 psi to redline, that should put us in the 500WHP / 600WTQ range. Bumping the tq up down low is simple, just throw boost and timing at it, the turbo has no realy BP, shaft speed or EGT on it there and is fine. The problem with that is, the stock fuel system make not be able to keep up. As it gets higher in the rev band the 3 killers all start building, and if the BP gets too high it can also push open the gate. Its all a guessing game right now, but it should be seen soon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    im hoping we can get it over 20 psi and hit over 500hp Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thank you for the detailed insight. I bet you she makes 500+ with 22-23psi Click here to enlarge

lets take this damn thing to the limit!!!! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VegasJD Click here to enlarge
    im hoping we can get it over 20 psi and hit over 500hp Click here to enlarge
    you installing yourself? If one is a wrench and tony posts a DIY, I'm pondering on the install difficulty. I've done everything myself on FBO but this....Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    you installing yourself? If one is a wrench and tony posts a DIY, I'm pondering on the install difficulty. I've done everything myself on FBO but this....Click here to enlarge
    Its harder to install than an N54. Possibly cause it was my first one, but we are recommended these only be installed by shops. It's a time consuming, difficult job.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    no i have a shop that does all my install work all certified bmw techs southwest bimmers in vegas...they are eager to get this on they have done many turbo intall setups

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast