Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 80
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,738
    Rep Points
    2,062.4
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    The interior of the m cars crush the vette IMO
    I wouldn't say crush. The new 3-series interior design always looked f*cked up to begin with. New M3 is just has nicer finishes with the same f*cked up design. I wish the M4 dash flowed one piece into the center console. 4er and M4 needs a different interior look than the 3er and M3.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,344
    Rep Points
    1,445.7
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    now THIS is my kinda car. looks way more aggressive and in proportion. want so much. want want want.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,318
    Rep Points
    32,735.5
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    I don't think so. I think prestige is in a solid V8 which the M4 is not. Refinement? It depends on if you have no power north of ~6k with the smoky/rattle prone pea shooter turbos BMW likes to use. I do agree DCT is an advantage for BMW but I would take a manual anyways so point moot.
    I drive a Chevy.

    I drive a BMW.

    Prestige isn't in the cylinder count.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,318
    Rep Points
    32,735.5
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    Better but still looks... American.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,318
    Rep Points
    32,735.5
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    And it's still port injected, so no carbon build-up, and takes so well to those cheap mods that the 'murican muscle cars love.
    It's direct injected.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee
    Posts
    1,492
    Rep Points
    -27.0
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I drive a Chevy.

    I drive a BMW.

    Prestige isn't in the cylinder count.
    It's still an advantage lol.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,318
    Rep Points
    32,735.5
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    It's still an advantage lol.
    Well yes for those who put a premium on performance.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    9400' ASL, Colorado
    Posts
    886
    Rep Points
    1,301.6
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's direct injected.
    Crap.
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,590
    Rep Points
    2,018.0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's direct injected.
    Yeah, that's one thing I would have concern about. I know it's not a huge deal to do the walnut blasting or whatnot, but that's still one trip to a dealer wasting time where I can instead be making money. I am hoping (like someone said above) that it's cleared up now that they have had some practice with the N54/55 and the other DI engines, but IDK, time will tell. A lot of low end grunt compared to the S65, that's for sure - but guessing most of that comes from boost. I wonder why they chose to stick with DI. Efficiency?

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,281
    Rep Points
    1,556.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, that's one thing I would have concern about. I know it's not a huge deal to do the walnut blasting or whatnot, but that's still one trip to a dealer wasting time where I can instead be making money. I am hoping (like someone said above) that it's cleared up now that they have had some practice with the N54/55 and the other DI engines, but IDK, time will tell. A lot of low end grunt compared to the S65, that's for sure - but guessing most of that comes from boost. I wonder why they chose to stick with DI. Efficiency?
    I would like to see what the oil separators look like on the S55. The best way to prevent that carbon buildup is to prevent the oil from getting on the backs of the intake valves in the first place.
    Eppur si muove.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,590
    Rep Points
    2,018.0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Not sure if anyone has seen this yet, but here are the official specs on the M3/M4 (technical specs). The impressive thing is the 0-1000m time, which is very indicative of real world power/performance (as opposed to 0-60). The 0-1000m comes in at 22.2s with a 6-speed, and 21.9 with the DCT transmission. That's EXTREMELY fast - to compare, the GTS was quoted at 22.5s; a 996 Porsche Turbo ran this in 22.2s.

    That's a very fast car, this is over 1s faster than the current gen M3 with DCT, which is already a quick car.

    Click here to enlarge

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,318
    Rep Points
    32,735.5
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    Probably trap around 118?

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,281
    Rep Points
    1,556.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Yes Reputation No
    Brake energy regeneration?

    I had to look that up:

    http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...eneration.html
    Eppur si muove.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,590
    Rep Points
    2,018.0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Probably trap around 118?
    It's gotta be around that... comparing with a similar car (taking the Porsche Turbo again) - it looks about right. The P-car traps about 116 MPH stock, and this is faster so it's gotta be right around there.

    I wasn't expecting this car to have this much of a straight-line difference - pretty impressive stuff.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,590
    Rep Points
    2,018.0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    Brake energy regeneration?

    I had to look that up:

    http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...eneration.html
    Yeah, when I saw that - I was expecting a bit more. The current gen M3 (e90/92) already has this feature - not sure how much difference it makes though, as the mileage in my car is ridiculous in the city, and that's when I would expect this function to shine. Click here to enlarge

    I was hoping for some F1-car technology, like using the electricity to help spin up the turbos, or better yet provide torque to the driveline like the McLaren P1... Still a cool car though.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,281
    Rep Points
    1,556.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, when I saw that - I was expecting a bit more. The current gen M3 (e90/92) already has this feature - not sure how much difference it makes though, as the mileage in my car is ridiculous in the city, and that's when I would expect this function to shine. Click here to enlarge

    I was hoping for some F1-car technology, like using the electricity to help spin up the turbos, or better yet provide torque to the driveline like the McLaren P1... Still a cool car though.
    The mileage in the city mostly has to do with constantly accelerating from a stop. I'm sure the alternator charging the battery while accelerating uses a fraction of the power the engine produces. With energy efficiency it's all about the loose change adding up. A little here, a little there...

    I'm sure in due time most cars will have at least partially electric drive trains, and regenerative braking will be standard.
    Eppur si muove.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,590
    Rep Points
    2,018.0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    The mileage in the city mostly has to do with constantly accelerating from a stop. I'm sure the alternator charging the battery while accelerating uses a fraction of the power the engine produces. With energy efficiency it's all about the loose change adding up. A little here, a little there...

    I'm sure in due time most cars will have at least partially electric drive trains, and regenerative braking will be standard.
    True true... I just was reading more about it, and BMW claims a 3% overall increase in efficiency. As you said, it's a little here, a little there - all adding up to a significance. The MPG of the next M3 is actually impressive considering it's power. I almost think it's too low to believe - they are claiming 7l/100km for what we would consider Highway. This is about 33.5 MPG (not imperial, but US) - that seems very low, but who knows...

    Regarding future cars - yeah, for sure I think you are right on. I would like to see more hybrid drivetrains in sportscars since we are going to be forced to deal with efficiency sometime down the road. I would rather have it done right then slapped on just because it was forced. Cars like the P1 give me hope - hope that the tech trickles down to future cars.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,281
    Rep Points
    1,556.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    The MPG of the next M3 is actually impressive considering it's power. I almost think it's too low to believe - they are claiming 7l/100km for what we would consider Highway. This is about 33.5 MPG (not imperial, but US) - that seems very low, but who knows...
    Well this is the whole point about reducing displacement and using forced induction. When cruising you have a super efficient DI 3.0L engine running vacuum in the intake manifold. But if you put your foot down and build some boost pressure, you have over 140 bhp per liter. You get absolute outputs on par with an engine almost double the size, but you also get the fuel efficiency of an advanced 3 liter. Depending on how hard you press the pedal, you get to chose.

    Turbo engine are just starting to infiltrate the market. In ten years, I would guess most internal combustion engines in new cars will be turbocharged.
    Eppur si muove.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,590
    Rep Points
    2,018.0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Yes Reputation No
    ^ Yeah, I get why it could/will be efficient, just didn't think it could possibly be that efficient. It's remarkable if it's accurate to have a 425 HP engine and ~400 ft-lb of torque mated to that efficiency is all I meant.

    Regarding the turbochargers + market, yeah that's probably true. The thing that isn't good about this, is that for a true track car, you want the aspects of the S motor of the past. High revving, constant torque, static (or very close) heat properties, engine response, dethrottling, etc. - all of those components are "ideal" for a race car to assist the driver with balancing the chassis/control into + out of corners...

    The next gen M3/4 will allow for "pre-spooling" to get the response better than we see for other turbo cars, and will shut down cylinders during deceleration/gear changes to help with the dethrottling, but they are already saying it's going to be "for a period of time"... For guys who do track their cars, I am not sure what that means - and only time will tell; point is, it's nice to have an option until it can be done perfectly (like Porsche) - however, I understand why BMW isn't doing this (money). I think it's going to be a great car, but am curious how the engine really performs relative to what we have seen in the past...

    Not to get off topic, as this can turn into a book with the pros and cons, just saying (like the electric stuff earlier) - I would prefer if it was released after getting everything dead nuts perfect.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,281
    Rep Points
    1,556.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Yes Reputation No
    I am in complete agreement. It will be interesting to hear some of the reviews on the next M3/M4 both from professionals and enthusiasts.
    Eppur si muove.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,590
    Rep Points
    2,018.0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    I am in complete agreement. It will be interesting to hear some of the reviews on the next M3/M4 both from professionals and enthusiasts.
    Me too... I feel like it's been a long wait for the release of any information - now this. Cannot wait any longer! Click here to enlarge

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jersey City
    Posts
    3,852
    Rep Points
    3,647.6
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    37


    Yes Reputation No
    Anyone who has driven a FBO tuned n54 knows the new m will have brut tq and be very quick in stock form. I still worry about it's tuner friendly-ness, stock it has 18psi plus all the oil coolers, intercoolers, technology, etc.... I wonder what the turbos are capable of (how much psi). It might not matter though, this car is already quick, another 5-7 psi and it may flyyyy.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,318
    Rep Points
    32,735.5
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Anyone who has driven a FBO tuned n54 knows the new m will have brut tq and be very quick in stock form. I still worry about it's tuner friendly-ness, stock it has 18psi plus all the oil coolers, intercoolers, technology, etc.... I wonder what the turbos are capable of (how much psi). It might not matter though, this car is already quick, another 5-7 psi and it may flyyyy.
    The S63tu is pretty high strung too and it's showing some nice gains. There will be room to play. BMW themselves will probably even offer a tune.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jersey City
    Posts
    3,852
    Rep Points
    3,647.6
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    37


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The S63tu is pretty high strung too and it's showing some nice gains. There will be room to play. BMW themselves will probably even offer a tune.
    Still hate the new m turbo motors? I love the s65/high revs but this new s55 looks sick!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,318
    Rep Points
    32,735.5
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Still hate the new m turbo motors? I love the s65/high revs but this new s55 looks sick!
    I'm not a fan of them to the level I was the NA motor as you take an S85 and give it twin turbos and it will take a fat dump over anything they have made in the turbo era. Same goes for teh S65 with turbos.

    Still, the S55 is the best execution so far.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •