Close

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    293
    Rep Points
    373.0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No

    Help with Battery Replacement!

    My battery is going out since it's been getting colder out. I am planning to replace it with a new one tomorrow, and decided not to stick with the OEM battery to save some money. I will be using BMWLOGGER software to register the battery, but it specifically states that you have to use a battery with the OEM specs. Been looking around at walmart, autozone, advance auto, etc to find the battery with the exact same specs with no luck. Is there specific specs that only need to match when you are registering with BMWLOGGER? I've seen some that are close, but have a high CCA rating.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Houston under a book
    Posts
    1,422
    Rep Points
    2,749.3
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I never registered my battery. I probably should have and probably still should since it's still kinda new (3 months) and I have the ability to, but I don't really care. The charging system is still better than 98% of the cars on the road on how it deals with charging the battery, regardless of if you register it or not. And unless you are substantially changing the capacity of the battery it's really just a minor thing.

    No reason not to if you can, but don't waste too much gas or donut money on it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    293
    Rep Points
    373.0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    I never registered my battery. I probably should have and probably still should since it's still kinda new (3 months) and I have the ability to, but I don't really care. The charging system is still better than 98% of the cars on the road on how it deals with charging the battery, regardless of if you register it or not. And unless you are substantially changing the capacity of the battery it's really just a minor thing.

    No reason not to if you can, but don't waste too much gas or donut money on it.
    What specs did u get for your battery?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,281
    Rep Points
    1,556.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Yes Reputation No
    I just bought a BCI group size 49 (DIN size H8)from Advance Auto (their AutoCraft Gold brand). The battery is made by Johnson Controls, and is the same one Autozone sells. Another option in that size is a battery made by Exide (which I believe Bosch now owns). Both should be comparable enough to the stock specs to not make much difference. I definitely recommend registering the battery.

    The online parts finding searches will recommend a variety of battery sizes (48, 49, 91, 93, 94R,), but in my experience, the 49 is the exact same size as the OEM battery unless you have an E93, in which case I think the size is 48. The hardtop takes up so much room they had to downsize the battery. Guess they figured people in cold climates probably wouldn't opt for the 'vert.

    Make sure you hook up the vent line correctly. Some batteries have holes in each side because the vent line can be in different places in different cars. In this case the included plug will need to be inserted into the unused hole. Also there is a retention bolt at the rear of the battery (under the foam piece) that needs to be removed before removing the battery from the car. The bar over the top of the battery is only to prevent the battery from going airborne, not for primary mounting.
    Eppur si muove.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    293
    Rep Points
    373.0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    I just bought a BCI group size 49 (DIN size H8)from Advance Auto (their AutoCraft Gold brand). The battery is made by Johnson Controls, and is the same one Autozone sells. Another option in that size is a battery made by Exide (which I believe Bosch now owns). Both should be comparable enough to the stock specs to not make much difference. I definitely recommend registering the battery.

    The online parts finding searches will recommend a variety of battery sizes (48, 49, 91, 93, 94R,), but in my experience, the 49 is the exact same size as the OEM battery unless you have an E93, in which case I think the size is 48. The hardtop takes up so much room they had to downsize the battery. Guess they figured people in cold climates probably wouldn't opt for the 'vert.

    Make sure you hook up the vent line correctly. Some batteries have holes in each side because the vent line can be in different places in different cars. In this case the included plug will need to be inserted into the unused hole. Also there is a retention bolt at the rear of the battery (under the foam piece) that needs to be removed before removing the battery from the car. The bar over the top of the battery is only to prevent the battery from going airborne, not for primary mounting.
    Thanks! I'll look into those batteries. Does the specs live CCA have to match or just the size? I'm basically going to "register" using bmw logger, which really just resets the alternator or computer to charge the battery like its new?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Houston under a book
    Posts
    1,422
    Rep Points
    2,749.3
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    Yes Reputation No
    The only thing that needs to match is size so it will fit, terminal location so you can plug it in, and vent location so you don't kill any puppies you leave in your trunk. The CCA matters but doesn't matter. If you live in Alaska you might want more CCA.

    I don't remember but I got one from advance or O'Reilly. Whoever had one in stock cheaper, lol.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,281
    Rep Points
    1,556.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by justohigh Click here to enlarge
    Thanks! I'll look into those batteries. Does the specs live CCA have to match or just the size? I'm basically going to "register" using bmw logger, which really just resets the alternator or computer to charge the battery like its new?
    The DME (or whatever module is responsible for battery charging) has different profiles for charging batteries with different characteristics. As long as you don't significantly alter these (AGM vs. flooded cell, reserve capacity or amp hours) you should only need to register your new battery to let the DME know it is new. Obviously you want the CCA to match as closely as possible, although any battery in the correct size should have the right CCA.

    I didn't find much information on Ah ratings for aftermarket batteries. In this case, use the reserve capacity instead to find a replacement. The two ratings are closely related.
    Eppur si muove.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    218
    Rep Points
    305.3
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    I'm getting a new battery next week for the same reason, but I'm going to go ahead and pay the price for the dealer to do it. One thing I didn't expect in this process is that I thought I blew a fuse because my doors stopped unlocking without the physical key, my heater blower stopped blowing, my rear defrost stopped working, my clock keeps losing the time. The dealer says that's normal when the battery is getting old...the system starts shutting down non-critical stuff and as soon as I get my new battery it will be fine. Have you guys seen that, too? I'd never seen that before.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seneca, SC
    Posts
    296
    Rep Points
    669.0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    I went with a replacement from a dealer. I could not find the same CCA. I ended up paying around 180 it was not much more then other choices. I found the best price online and called them and they price matched it. I registered it with my BT cable.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    187
    Rep Points
    395.9
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    94R everstart battery from walmart is a good replacement battery and has a decent warranty. The specs are close enough to OEM that you don't need to worry about them.

    Just register the new battery and be done with it. The H8 is a good match as well, but I ended up going with the 94R.

    You could even purchase a battery with different specs and just edit the vehicle order and code the car with the new specs.
    jb4+fbo+meth

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Malibu Canyons
    Posts
    88
    Rep Points
    103.9
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    The walmart website doesnt even show the 94R. But they do have the H8 so looks like Im going with that. Its $120 so only save 60 bucks from dealer. Should be fine tho right?
    Click here to enlarge
    460whp/510wtq tuned by Terry

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    187
    Rep Points
    395.9
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Is your current battery 90aH?
    The specs on the H8 are all above OEM except that I believe it's 80aH (my OEM was 90aH) which is why I went with the 94R. You can recode the car for 80aH pretty easily if you want, or you can just try it out as is, the H8 fits perfectly and has a 3 year warranty.
    jb4+fbo+meth

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Houston under a book
    Posts
    1,422
    Rep Points
    2,749.3
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dr. G Click here to enlarge
    Is your current battery 90aH?
    The specs on the H8 are all above OEM except that I believe it's 80aH (my OEM was 90aH) which is why I went with the 94R. You can recode the car for 80aH pretty easily if you want, or you can just try it out as is, the H8 fits perfectly and has a 3 year warranty.
    ^^ This.

    You'll lose 10aH of capacity. It's not a deep cycle anyway so I don't think that's really a big concern as I highly doubt you will be using even 20% of that capacity anyway. Lead acid cell batteries don't like to be ran too low though (damages them) so an extra 10aH might save you if you left your lights on for a few hours, but probably not. It will matter to the DME for battery health checks, charging, etc... but nothing that you would probably ever notice.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    293
    Rep Points
    373.0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Yes Reputation No
    Replaced and registered my battery yesterday. Total time was about 20min. Would of been faster if the battery had more room to slide out. I went with the duralast gold from autozone. Has a 5yr warranty on it and was on sale for about $110 after core exchange. Everything seems to work perfectly now and the car actually idles better and all electronics are working perfectly now. Prior I had problems such as blower only going up to half speed, door not unlocking from touching handle, rear defrost not working, daytime running lights don't go on when lights on auto and unlocking the door using my key.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    187
    Rep Points
    395.9
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    I just wanted to add that I forgot most of you guys are in the US, I'm used to posting this recommendation for the Canadian guys so I always recommend Walmart since other places cost just as much as OEM almost.

    You guys have a lot of nicely priced options available to you outside of walmart.
    jb4+fbo+meth

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,209
    Rep Points
    1,449.2
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    This seems like a good replacement for my 90aH. this is 92aH. Marginally cheaper than OEM but saves a drive all the way to the dealer. Going to pick it up now. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...9459_712884_0_

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    199
    Rep Points
    311.2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    This seems like a good replacement for my 90aH. this is 92aH. Marginally cheaper than OEM but saves a drive all the way to the dealer. Going to pick it up now. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...9459_712884_0_
    FYI, the battery you identified is an AGM type. Be sure to check your current battery to see if it is AGM or not...I read on another forum that switching from non-AGM to AGM (or vise-versa) requires coding (verification required).

    For what it's worth, I recently replaced my battery with a NAPA Legend International 7549; perfect fit.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,209
    Rep Points
    1,449.2
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by EvanL Click here to enlarge
    FYI, the battery you identified is an AGM type. Be sure to check your current battery to see if it is AGM or not...I read on another forum that switching from non-AGM to AGM (or vise-versa) requires coding (verification required).

    For what it's worth, I recently replaced my battery with a NAPA Legend International 7549; perfect fit.
    Thanks for the heads up, but I don't think it matters. I found this post on the other site. So far so good with this battery.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fdriller9 Click here to enlarge
    Interesting quote from the realoem.com diagram of my car:

    "A more powerful battery may be installed
    during retrofitting operations.
    Standard batteries can always be
    replaced by AGM batteries with the same
    specifications.
    Following either type of replacement,
    the vehicle registration process in
    ISTA/P must be supplemented by a vehicle
    coding procedure, which is carried out
    as follows:
    ----------------------------------------
    Read out battery size and registration
    from onboard electrical system:
    ISTA->Service functions->Body->Voltage
    supply->Register_battery replacement->
    Test plan"

    There are also the types of batteries and their specs.

    http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...99&hg=61&fg=30

    EDIT: I just ordered the 21lb version and it's scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I hope it's correct.

    http://www.hpashop.com/product.sc?productId=45

    Oh man, now I'm bugging about how to register this. Anyone familiar with the registration process with the BT tool?

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •