Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jersey City
    Posts
    3,857
    Rep Points
    3,642.6
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    37


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

    M235 BMW motorsport video!

    Wow, what a great looking car! Even though it's camo'd, the fenders have a e30 m3 flare-look to them. The stance/look of this car is menacing! It appears to have the regular 8 speed zf trans (no dct). Great looking car! I know this is the motorsport version for sale, but maybe this is what the m2 will look like with a dct and some other changes (m mirrors, front lip, suspension, etc?). I don't see the m2 having a different motor than the m235 but who knows.

    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,040
    Rep Points
    938.4
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SCOTT26 Click here to enlarge
    Another look at the new M2, sorry 2er Motorsport. Click here to enlarge
    Take it for what its worth.
    ​#Chuckstrong

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jersey City
    Posts
    3,857
    Rep Points
    3,642.6
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    37



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
    Take it for what its worth.
    That's the guy that supposedly has a inside track at BMW right? If this is the m2, it looks great, sounds good, but we'll have to see what's under the hood. I'm surprised it doesn't have a dct.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    506
    Rep Points
    758.7
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Thanks Bob! I'm loving this car!

    I saw what looked like a DCT tranny in the video.
    Click here to enlarge
    Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jersey City
    Posts
    3,857
    Rep Points
    3,642.6
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    37



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by UsualSuspect Click here to enlarge
    Thanks Bob! I'm loving this car!

    I saw what looked like a DCT tranny in the video.
    I think that's the zf 8 speed auto, based on the shifter but I could be wrong!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hayward, CA
    Posts
    7,900
    Rep Points
    3,879.1
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    That thing is so effing cool!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jersey City
    Posts
    3,857
    Rep Points
    3,642.6
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    37



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    9400' ASL, Colorado
    Posts
    886
    Rep Points
    1,301.6
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Give it DCT make it light and this could be a great car. The M2 street version, that is. Click here to enlarge The MS car here is already badass.
    Last edited by whoosh; 12-08-2013 at 07:27 PM.
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,093
    Rep Points
    31,291.0
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No

    BMW gets serious about their turbocharged track performance - BMW M235i race car teaser video

    Up until now there have not been any serious BMW track cars sold that featured a turbocharged powerplant. Yes, guys with 335's and 135's track their cars after some upgrades to manage heat but the new M cars have all been incredibly heavy and had a problem with heat soak as well as going into limp mode. BMW M with the upcoming M235i (and F80/F82 M3) seems intent on showing strong track performance with their newer turbocharged cars by making the cars lighter and more focused.

    Click here to enlarge

    It does not get much more focused than this as BMW M has created a racing version of the upcoming M235i to add the customer racing catalog. So, if you desire a turn key race car to hit the track with and have some disposable funds BMW has you covered with the M235i racing version.

    The car appears to be basically an M235i with the interior stripped out, wider bodywork for more aggressive wheels/tires, brake upgrades, suspension upgrade, and a roll cage. M programmed software modes for the ABS and DSC are included as well as a limited slip differential. It certainly gives an interesting preview of what an M2 possibly could be. The only downside is that there is no DCT transmission option and it has the standard automatic.

    The M235i racing will cost roughly $81,000 and will replace the M3 GT4 factory race car that is going out of production. The Z4 GT3 will remain the top offerings in the lineup.

    Technical Data BMW M235i Racing.
    Max. width: 1,862mm (without mirrors)
    Wheelbase: 2,691mm
    Height: 1,380mm (without antenna)
    Max. track: 1,608mm
    Engine: six-cylinder in-line
    Capacity: 2,979ccm
    Output: 333hp (245kW)


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    640
    Rep Points
    720.7
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Damn wait.. BMW is selling this thing as is with a roll cage and racing buckets and interior stripped out?
    100% not coming to America anyways.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,093
    Rep Points
    31,291.0
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5soko Click here to enlarge
    Damn wait.. BMW is selling this thing as is with a roll cage and racing buckets and interior stripped out?
    100% not coming to America anyways.
    It's not a street legal car anyway. It's for gentleman racers.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hayward, CA
    Posts
    7,900
    Rep Points
    3,879.1
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Up until now there have not been any serious BMW track cars sold that featured a turbocharged powerplant. Yes, guys with 335's and 135's track their cars after some upgrades to manage heat but the new M cars have all been incredibly heavy and had a problem with heat soak as well as going into limp mode. BMW M with the upcoming M235i (and F80/F82 M3) seems intent on showing strong track performance with their newer turbocharged cars by making the cars lighter and more focused.


    It does not get much more focused than this as BMW M has created a racing version of the upcoming M235i to add the customer racing catalog. So, if you desire a turn key race car to hit the track with and have some disposable funds BMW has you covered with the M235i racing version.

    The car appears to be basically an M235i with the interior stripped out, wider bodywork for more aggressive wheels/tires, brake upgrades, suspension upgrade, and a roll cage. M programmed software modes for the ABS and DSC are included as well as a limited slip differential. It certainly gives an interesting preview of what an M2 possibly could be. The only downside is that there is no DCT transmission option and it has the standard automatic.

    The M235i racing will cost roughly $81,000 and will replace the M3 GT4 factory race car that is going out of production. The Z4 GT3 will remain the top offerings in the lineup.

    Technical Data BMW M235i Racing.
    Max. width: 1,862mm (without mirrors)
    Wheelbase: 2,691mm
    Height: 1,380mm (without antenna)
    Max. track: 1,608mm
    Engine: six-cylinder in-line
    Capacity: 2,979ccm
    Output: 333hp (245kW)

    Seeing how much work BMW is putting into these new M cars and the 35 power plant in general I honestly cannot wait to see what that these things will do once they reach a place of being able to be tuned with upgraded turbos etc.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,093
    Rep Points
    31,291.0
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Seeing how much work BMW is putting into these new M cars and the 35 power plant in general I honestly cannot wait to see what that these things will do once they reach a place of being able to be tuned with upgraded turbos etc.
    Well I'm not thrilled about the N55 as a track motor but this thing being lighter and likely having some cooling upgrades means it will do more laps than an M5 at the very least.

    I want to see the M3/M4 S55 in action which IMO is better built as a powerplant for track abuse.

    I still don't like any of these motors for track duty.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hayward, CA
    Posts
    7,900
    Rep Points
    3,879.1
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Well I'm not thrilled about the N55 as a track motor but this thing being lighter and likely having some cooling upgrades means it will do more laps than an M5 at the very least.

    I want to see the M3/M4 S55 in action which IMO is better built as a powerplant for track abuse.

    I still don't like any of these motors for track duty.
    Yeah you are right, BMW has no idea how to build a track car or motor. They are just throwing something out there they don't have faith in hoping it performs on the track because that's how they do it.....Click here to enlarge

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,093
    Rep Points
    31,291.0
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Yeah you are right, BMW has no idea how to build a track car or motor. They are just throwing something out there they don't have faith in hoping it performs on the track because that's how they do it.....Click here to enlarge
    What I'm saying is the S55 looks better built for dedicated track abuse and racing than the N55 especially considering only one of these motors is an M motor...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,184
    Rep Points
    6,727.6
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    68


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Read between the lines and you will notice that BMW thinks the standard automatic gearbox is bulletproof enough to use in a trackcar without any modifications.
    That has to say something for it's day to day use as well as for it's racing pedigree.
    It would be awesome if this wide bodyshell was available for the streetlegal version.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,093
    Rep Points
    31,291.0
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Read between the lines and you will notice that BMW thinks the standard automatic gearbox is bulletproof enough to use in a trackcar without any modifications.
    That has to say something for it's day to day use as well as for it's racing pedigree.
    It would be awesome if this wide bodyshell was available for the streetlegal version.
    Or they want to save money which is why they don't offer it in the M235i to begin with.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,184
    Rep Points
    6,727.6
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    68


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Or they want to save money which is why they don't offer it in the M235i to begin with.
    If you're talking about the widebody I'm not clear where BMW would save money by not bringing out other bodypanels and wheel geometry parts.
    That can not be too expensive to fabricate.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,093
    Rep Points
    31,291.0
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    If you're talking about the widebody I'm not clear where BMW would save money by not bringing out other bodypanels and wheel geometry parts.
    That can not be too expensive to fabricate.
    I'm clearly talking about the transmission.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    9400' ASL, Colorado
    Posts
    886
    Rep Points
    1,301.6
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Read between the lines and you will notice that BMW thinks the standard automatic gearbox is bulletproof enough to use in a trackcar without any modifications.
    That has to say something for it's day to day use as well as for it's racing pedigree.
    It would be awesome if this wide bodyshell was available for the streetlegal version.
    What racing "pedigree"? It's a ZF 8 speed automatic. If anything this reveals how cheap BMW is getting with their M division efforts, as they aren't even going to develop a version of DCT in-house to go into this package.

    maybe this is done to keep cost down for the private teams that will buy it... I suspect the first thing many teams will do is throw out the slush box for a real racing 'box, provided that action is in line with series rules.
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,093
    Rep Points
    31,291.0
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    What racing "pedigree"? It's a ZF 8 speed automatic. If anything this reveals how cheap BMW is getting with their M division efforts, as they aren't even going to develop a version of DCT in-house to go into this package.
    Bingo.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,924
    Rep Points
    1,825.9
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Reputation: Yes | No
    weak....

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    40
    Rep Points
    21.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Good to see some of the big players stripping down and making a (somewhat) serious attempt in the track segment - but as already pointed out USD80K will buy you a lot of track car which will absolutely demolish this.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    93
    Rep Points
    88.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    how much does the normal street legal M235 weights and how much weight does this race version save?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    40
    Rep Points
    21.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    On second thought. Would be interesting to see what this would do with an RB swap and JB4 tune Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •