Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

M235 BMW motorsport video!

Wow, what a great looking car! Even though it's camo'd, the fenders have a e30 m3 flare-look to them. The stance/look of this car is menacing! It appears to have the regular 8 speed zf trans (no dct). Great looking car! I know this is the motorsport version for sale, but maybe this is what the m2 will look like with a dct and some other changes (m mirrors, front lip, suspension, etc?). I don't see the m2 having a different motor than the m235 but who knows.

Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SCOTT26 Click here to enlarge
    Another look at the new M2, sorry 2er Motorsport. Click here to enlarge
    Take it for what its worth.
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
    Take it for what its worth.
    That's the guy that supposedly has a inside track at BMW right? If this is the m2, it looks great, sounds good, but we'll have to see what's under the hood. I'm surprised it doesn't have a dct.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Thanks Bob! I'm loving this car!

I saw what looked like a DCT tranny in the video.
    Click here to enlarge
    Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by UsualSuspect Click here to enlarge
    Thanks Bob! I'm loving this car!

I saw what looked like a DCT tranny in the video.
    I think that's the zf 8 speed auto, based on the shifter but I could be wrong!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

That thing is so effing cool!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Give it DCT make it light and this could be a great car. The M2 street version, that is. Click here to enlarge The MS car here is already badass.
    Last edited by whoosh; 12-08-2013 at 07:27 PM.
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

BMW gets serious about their turbocharged track performance - BMW M235i race car teaser video

Up until now there have not been any serious BMW track cars sold that featured a turbocharged powerplant. Yes, guys with 335's and 135's track their cars after some upgrades to manage heat but the new M cars have all been incredibly heavy and had a problem with heat soak as well as going into limp mode. BMW M with the upcoming M235i (and F80/F82 M3) seems intent on showing strong track performance with their newer turbocharged cars by making the cars lighter and more focused.

Click here to enlarge

It does not get much more focused than this as BMW M has created a racing version of the upcoming M235i to add the customer racing catalog. So, if you desire a turn key race car to hit the track with and have some disposable funds BMW has you covered with the M235i racing version.

The car appears to be basically an M235i with the interior stripped out, wider bodywork for more aggressive wheels/tires, brake upgrades, suspension upgrade, and a roll cage. M programmed software modes for the ABS and DSC are included as well as a limited slip differential. It certainly gives an interesting preview of what an M2 possibly could be. The only downside is that there is no DCT transmission option and it has the standard automatic.

The M235i racing will cost roughly $81,000 and will replace the M3 GT4 factory race car that is going out of production. The Z4 GT3 will remain the top offerings in the lineup.

Technical Data BMW M235i Racing.
    Max. width: 1,862mm (without mirrors)
    Wheelbase: 2,691mm
    Height: 1,380mm (without antenna)
    Max. track: 1,608mm
    Engine: six-cylinder in-line
    Capacity: 2,979ccm
    Output: 333hp (245kW)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Damn wait.. BMW is selling this thing as is with a roll cage and racing buckets and interior stripped out?
    100% not coming to America anyways.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5soko Click here to enlarge
    Damn wait.. BMW is selling this thing as is with a roll cage and racing buckets and interior stripped out?
    100% not coming to America anyways.
    It's not a street legal car anyway. It's for gentleman racers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Up until now there have not been any serious BMW track cars sold that featured a turbocharged powerplant. Yes, guys with 335's and 135's track their cars after some upgrades to manage heat but the new M cars have all been incredibly heavy and had a problem with heat soak as well as going into limp mode. BMW M with the upcoming M235i (and F80/F82 M3) seems intent on showing strong track performance with their newer turbocharged cars by making the cars lighter and more focused.

It does not get much more focused than this as BMW M has created a racing version of the upcoming M235i to add the customer racing catalog. So, if you desire a turn key race car to hit the track with and have some disposable funds BMW has you covered with the M235i racing version.

The car appears to be basically an M235i with the interior stripped out, wider bodywork for more aggressive wheels/tires, brake upgrades, suspension upgrade, and a roll cage. M programmed software modes for the ABS and DSC are included as well as a limited slip differential. It certainly gives an interesting preview of what an M2 possibly could be. The only downside is that there is no DCT transmission option and it has the standard automatic.

The M235i racing will cost roughly $81,000 and will replace the M3 GT4 factory race car that is going out of production. The Z4 GT3 will remain the top offerings in the lineup.

Technical Data BMW M235i Racing.
    Max. width: 1,862mm (without mirrors)
    Wheelbase: 2,691mm
    Height: 1,380mm (without antenna)
    Max. track: 1,608mm
    Engine: six-cylinder in-line
    Capacity: 2,979ccm
    Output: 333hp (245kW)

Seeing how much work BMW is putting into these new M cars and the 35 power plant in general I honestly cannot wait to see what that these things will do once they reach a place of being able to be tuned with upgraded turbos etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Seeing how much work BMW is putting into these new M cars and the 35 power plant in general I honestly cannot wait to see what that these things will do once they reach a place of being able to be tuned with upgraded turbos etc.
    Well I'm not thrilled about the N55 as a track motor but this thing being lighter and likely having some cooling upgrades means it will do more laps than an M5 at the very least.

I want to see the M3/M4 S55 in action which IMO is better built as a powerplant for track abuse.

I still don't like any of these motors for track duty.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Well I'm not thrilled about the N55 as a track motor but this thing being lighter and likely having some cooling upgrades means it will do more laps than an M5 at the very least.

I want to see the M3/M4 S55 in action which IMO is better built as a powerplant for track abuse.

I still don't like any of these motors for track duty.
    Yeah you are right, BMW has no idea how to build a track car or motor. They are just throwing something out there they don't have faith in hoping it performs on the track because that's how they do it.....Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Yeah you are right, BMW has no idea how to build a track car or motor. They are just throwing something out there they don't have faith in hoping it performs on the track because that's how they do it.....Click here to enlarge
    What I'm saying is the S55 looks better built for dedicated track abuse and racing than the N55 especially considering only one of these motors is an M motor...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Read between the lines and you will notice that BMW thinks the standard automatic gearbox is bulletproof enough to use in a trackcar without any modifications.
    That has to say something for it's day to day use as well as for it's racing pedigree.
    It would be awesome if this wide bodyshell was available for the streetlegal version.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Read between the lines and you will notice that BMW thinks the standard automatic gearbox is bulletproof enough to use in a trackcar without any modifications.
    That has to say something for it's day to day use as well as for it's racing pedigree.
    It would be awesome if this wide bodyshell was available for the streetlegal version.
    Or they want to save money which is why they don't offer it in the M235i to begin with.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Or they want to save money which is why they don't offer it in the M235i to begin with.
    If you're talking about the widebody I'm not clear where BMW would save money by not bringing out other bodypanels and wheel geometry parts.
    That can not be too expensive to fabricate.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

If you're talking about the widebody I'm not clear where BMW would save money by not bringing out other bodypanels and wheel geometry parts.
    That can not be too expensive to fabricate.
    I'm clearly talking about the transmission.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

What racing "pedigree"? It's a ZF 8 speed automatic. If anything this reveals how cheap BMW is getting with their M division efforts, as they aren't even going to develop a version of DCT in-house to go into this package.

maybe this is done to keep cost down for the private teams that will buy it... I suspect the first thing many teams will do is throw out the slush box for a real racing 'box, provided that action is in line with series rules.
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    What racing "pedigree"? It's a ZF 8 speed automatic. If anything this reveals how cheap BMW is getting with their M division efforts, as they aren't even going to develop a version of DCT in-house to go into this package.
    Bingo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

weak....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good to see some of the big players stripping down and making a (somewhat) serious attempt in the track segment - but as already pointed out USD80K will buy you a lot of track car which will absolutely demolish this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

how much does the normal street legal M235 weights and how much weight does this race version save?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

On second thought. Would be interesting to see what this would do with an RB swap and JB4 tune Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast