Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Intercooler Comparison (BMW Stock vs. Wagner EVO1 vs. HPF vs. Mosselman)

Hey guys I found an interesting article that I think others might enjoy reading and discussing...

I will let you guys do the reading...but will also mention that the "R&D" and article is put together by one of the manufacturers included in the comparison named Mosselman Turbo...Whom by no surprise wins the shootout...

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    pretty crazy. i've never heard of a mosselman FMIC. LOL huh. interesting for sure.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    pretty crazy. i've never heard of a mosselman FMIC. LOL huh. interesting for sure.
    Haven't heard of them either...but then again I'm not in the market for a FMIC.. Definitely an interesting read tho! Click here to enlarge
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Never heard of that company but the end tanks sure look nice from that one picture.

Interesting read thanks OP
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Study by cigarette company finds smoking non-addictive, healthy.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    Study by cigarette company finds smoking non-addictive, healthy.
    lol +1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks alot like an AMS IC
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Would have rather seen ETS and Helix tested, but ellwell. I've ETS tests, and from I remember would be better than all of them, except in pressure drop category, it still drops a bit more than the stock, to be expected obvisouly lol.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry, meant AMS, not ER.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Never heard of Mosselman, but there is an old Helix vs Other FMIC "comparison" somewhere on E90
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for sharing!

So pressure-drop might be more importent than cooling capacity?

There are also numbers here:

• Turbogenetics Spearco claims 0.2:

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

• Mishimoto claims about the same loses as the stock intercooler:

Click here to enlarge

• The new Wagner Competition Series also has numbers compared to the two core sizes und two core-types:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    Looks alot like an AMS IC
    I was about to say they haven't tested the AMS FMIC.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have a Wagner FMIC, gained 20whp with it and my temps are ice cold, no where near stock. Second best mod after the JB4. So basically... I call BS. Elaborate work there though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BigHoncho Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for sharing!

So pressure-drop might be more importent than cooling capacity?
    It's a fine balance between the two... A core that suffers from poor IAT reduction is a waste of money (that's basically the primary function of an FMIC mod), and a core that has tons of pressure drop illustrates a poor construction/design.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    It's a fine balance between the two... A core that suffers from poor IAT reduction is a waste of money (that's basically the primary function of an FMIC mod), and a core that has tons of pressure drop illustrates a poor construction/design.
    But high pressure drop will naturally accompany a high temp drop. Its impossible not to. Which is another reason why its suspect that the temp drop is the lowest with the pressure drop being the least.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have hpf fmic, from 100-200 acceleration(vbox) .6 sec better than the stock jb4 at 14.5 psi, i can do many hard pulls without rising the temp high, i don't believe any thing of the graphs rooringhusky post, i think it's a way to market their product

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    how much does the Mosselman fmic cost ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135idct Click here to enlarge
    I have hpf fmic, from 100-200 acceleration(vbox) .6 sec better than the stock jb4 at 14.5 psi, i can do many hard pulls without rising the temp high, i don't believe any thing of the graphs rooringhusky post, i think it's a way to market their product
    Same day, same tempature, same street, same weather? Its hard to measure those tiny effects on the street. Could be anything else.

Its always questionable when vendors do publish such numbers, but I think they are rather interesting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Makes some sense. The ams has the best flowing endtanks of any fmic on the market today, imo.

BUT, as someone already stated, tests performed by the company that produces or is advertising their own product, should be taken with a grain of salt.
    2008 e92 335i: JB4 G5 ISO/BMS back end flash, fbo, e85, inlets, Rb turbos, level 10 valve body + converter, water/methanol.....and a lot more....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Completly agree with this statement.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    But high pressure drop will naturally accompany a high temp drop. Its impossible not to. Which is another reason why its suspect that the temp drop is the lowest with the pressure drop being the least.
    Not always though. Pressure drop suffers from e.g. bad end tanks and those bad end tanks don't contribute anything to the temp drop.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    I have a Wagner FMIC, gained 20whp with it and my temps are ice cold, no where near stock. Second best mod after the JB4. So basically... I call BS. Elaborate work there though.
    Wagner looks a bit worse in this testing, than what it is, since its large frontal area becomes an asset in real speeds that the blowers are not able to fully simulate.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    Not always though. Pressure drop suffers from e.g. bad end tanks and those bad end tanks don't contribute anything to the temp drop.
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. A high temperature drop will always lead to high pressure drop. I realize other factors come into play with pressure drop like end tanks though. I know the Wagner flows a lot more than stock and has a much better end tank design then stock. Additionally it cools a lot better than stock and makes more HP than stock. Knowing four things it would be impossible to come to the results they did unless they set up each test completely different than the others to get the results they wanted. The heat soak test for instance could be with no flow over it and purely based on weight of the metal using a high gear or a load dyno. I think that's too much credit though, likely the numbers are adjusted.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BigHoncho Click here to enlarge
    Same day, same tempature, same street, same weather? Its hard to measure those tiny effects on the street. Could be anything else.

Its always questionable when vendors do publish such numbers, but I think they are rather interesting.
    yes same temperature, same street, same weather

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast