Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Input on high speed vibrations

Hey guys,

I need your input on some slight vibrations I get around 65mph. This happened last week:
    Click here to enlarge

which was caused by this(hit it around 60-70mph):
    Click here to enlarge

Got a new wheel and tire mounted and balanced. But now I get very slight vibration I do not feel it when cruising around and the car tracks completely straight. Before I spend $100+ on an alignment I want your input on this. I also get it when accelerating hard.
    08 328i, totaled by women driver
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is the vibration felt in the steering wheel or your seat?
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What wheel is that? Front / rear and side. The "during hard acceleration" is cause for concern - if you mean that it's during low speed acceleration.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Its on passenger side front... Hard acceraltion from a stop theres a slight shuddering from passenger side. I feel it more in the seat but its hard to tell @lulz_m3 @inlineS54B32
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ive looked at suspension control arm.. Nothing is leaking and looks ok..
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mikolo-n54 Click here to enlarge
    Ive looked at suspension control arm.. Nothing is leaking and looks ok..
    I would be willing to bet it's your tie rod end. If you jack the car, is there any lateral play in the affected wheel?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    I would be willing to bet it's your tie rod end. If you jack the car, is there any lateral play in the affected wheel?
    I have it jacked up now. What do you mean by later play? side to side? how much pressure shoudl i put on it?
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Take a few pics.. I might add after market rims. Are they hubcentric? If they are did the people putting the new tire and rim put the ring back on? That might cause it.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    def not the wheels.. had no issue before I hit this semi truck bump stop. heres some pics not sure if they mean much.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Grab the tire at the top with one hand and at the bottom with the other, when you alternately push and pull, is there any play? Now place one hand torwards the front of the wheel and the other torwards the back, push/pull, any play? Does the wheel turn freely and without any major resistance? Could be the wheel bearing. Try turning the wheel slowly and see if you feel any ''bumps''.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @fastgti69
    Can't tell too much from the pics, but nothing looks unusual. The rims are not hubcentric then correct, the bore size and hub is the same.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alex325i Click here to enlarge
    Grab the tire at the top with one hand and at the bottom with the other, when you alternately push and pull, is there any play? Now place one hand torwards the front of the wheel and the other torwards the back, push/pull, any play? Does the wheel turn freely and without any major resistance? Could be the wheel bearing. Try turning the wheel slowly and see if you feel any ''bumps''.
    X2^^ turn the wheel slowly and see if it might be the axle itself. The Cv joint could have popped out or something from hitting something that massive.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well, I took it to a reputable frame and suspension place this morning and they told me I dodged a bullet. Castor needed to be adjusted and all is good. The vibration is actually from the rear wheels when I ran 15mm spacers like and idiot and it rubbed for a bit causing some shreddage. All is good just need some nicer tires now Click here to enlarge anyone wanna recommend some decently priced tire?
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nt555, never looked back.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    sure look scary
    World Fastest (NA) SLS AMG in a Standing 1/2 Mile
    Trap Speed 254.81 Km/hr

Qatar Mile- NOV, 30th 2013
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wanna link me to where you got em? @fastgti69
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SLS AMG Click here to enlarge
    sure look scary
    The cracked wheel? $#@! was crazy as soon as i hit it the car jumped 2 feet on passenger side. I was lucky to get over to the emergency lane. Wheel scraped the caliper pretty good gettin there. Very happy the suspension pieces werent $#@!ed but it would have been a good excuse for m3 bits and coils.. Also the reason i couldnt avoid it there were cars in lane next to me so i had no choice but to take the piece of rubber head on. Could have been much much worse.
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wanna link me to where you got em? @fastgti69
    Online tires are "local" http://www.onlinetires.com/ You gotta call them and theyll bring it to warehouse. I'm not sure what your sizes are though lol
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Online tires are "local" http://www.onlinetires.com/ You gotta call them and theyll bring it to warehouse. I'm not sure what your sizes are though lol
    Thanks, im gunna run 235/35/19 front and 265/30/19r
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well, I took it to a reputable frame and suspension place this morning and they told me I dodged a bullet. Castor needed to be adjusted and all is good. The vibration is actually from the rear wheels when I ran 15mm spacers like and idiot and it rubbed for a bit causing some shreddage. All is good just need some nicer tires now Click here to enlarge anyone wanna recommend some decently priced tire?
    Glad all is well,

Cheers.