Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,931
    Rep Points
    921.6
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

    6AT transmission cooler options?

    Hey guys,

    I am searching for trans cooler options, and so far have landed on this universal guy from ECS tuning, not sure where I would mount it, but looking at options. http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335...ler/ES1892559/

    Has anyone already done one? Where is the best placement?

    And also, is there a better trans fluid I could be using instead of the OEM recommended stuff?

    Thanks,

    Matt
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

    Click here to enlarge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,605
    Rep Points
    2,604.7
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Yes Reputation No
    The idea has been bounced around for awhile now, but I have no idea where you would mount that.

    And screw the OE fluid. Redline D4 all day.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    469
    Rep Points
    345.6
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    The idea has been bounced around for awhile now, but I have no idea where you would mount that.

    And screw the OE fluid. Redline D4 all day.
    in front of the radiator

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,931
    Rep Points
    921.6
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    The idea has been bounced around for awhile now, but I have no idea where you would mount that.

    And screw the OE fluid. Redline D4 all day.
    Is it necessary to get the new oil pan with integrated filter?

    Like this.... http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335..._D4/ES2523893/

    or is just the fluid sufficient and washer and what not?

    http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335..._D4/ES2523886/
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

    Click here to enlarge

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,605
    Rep Points
    2,604.7
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    Is it necessary to get the new oil pan with integrated filter?

    Like this.... http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335..._D4/ES2523893/

    or is just the fluid sufficient and washer and what not?

    http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335..._D4/ES2523886/
    If you're doing a 6AT service i'd HIGHLY recommend swapping out the entire pan, filter, and mechatronic sleeve. It's relatively cheap insurance in the big picture.

    IMO it's a waste of time to just flush out the fluid.

    @135idct Yea that's the logical place, I just don't like the idea of covering the radiator any further.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,281
    Rep Points
    1,527.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    If you're doing a 6AT service i'd HIGHLY recommend swapping out the entire pan, filter, and mechatronic sleeve. It's relatively cheap insurance in the big picture.

    IMO it's a waste of time to just flush out the fluid.

    @135idct Yea that's the logical place, I just don't like the idea of covering the radiator any further.
    Unless you've replaced the pan and filter recently, do it as well as the fluid.

    For the cooler, I was going to mount one in front of the drivers front wheel, opposite my custom oil cooler. I found a grill for the left side which is fully open, like the right side grill for cars with the engine oil cooler. The grill is P/N 51117134079.

    On the right side I had to delete the brake duct, but with the huge hole I cut in the inner fender for the cooler, I'm sure more than enough air gets back there.
    Eppur si muove.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,931
    Rep Points
    921.6
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    If you're doing a 6AT service i'd HIGHLY recommend swapping out the entire pan, filter, and mechatronic sleeve. It's relatively cheap insurance in the big picture.

    IMO it's a waste of time to just flush out the fluid.

    @135idct Yea that's the logical place, I just don't like the idea of covering the radiator any further.
    Will do, thanks man
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

    Click here to enlarge

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    1,528
    Rep Points
    1,177.6
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    Would love to have a kit for this , also a nice finned oil pan with higher volume would be great
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    412
    Rep Points
    518.6
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    Would love to have a kit for this , also a nice finned oil pan with higher volume would be great
    Interested in this too. Drag racing types have lots of kits, and they are cheap! For example:

    Click here to enlarge

    http://www.jegs.com/ECatalog/t1.asp?page=253

    Click on the above link then on any part number inside, you'll go to a description. You'd want a thermostat install kit like this:

    http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/13020/10002/-1

    Or this

    http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/25011/10002/-1

    and then some sort of radiator. Variety of traditional radiators (in the driver side fender well as above) or a simple finned tube that could be placed anywhere:

    http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/41200/10002/-1

    This one has a filter in it, lots of options here and not very complicated.
    Last edited by ajsalida; 11-25-2013 at 12:53 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,931
    Rep Points
    921.6
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Yes Reputation No
    I ordered the one from ECS, but it doesn't ship for about another 10 days or so, so I guess I have until then to cancel. I had tried ordering one before from them it was back-ordered and they called me to cancel the order. I guess I just don't see why a clutch pack, proper cooling, stiffer bushings, and alpina flash, or even all these things without upgraded hard parts should yield a significant improvement in the stock trans reliability.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

    Click here to enlarge

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    412
    Rep Points
    518.6
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Another option with everything included

    http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/13950/10002/-1

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,605
    Rep Points
    2,604.7
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    I ordered the one from ECS, but it doesn't ship for about another 10 days or so, so I guess I have until then to cancel. I had tried ordering one before from them it was back-ordered and they called me to cancel the order. I guess I just don't see why a clutch pack, proper cooling, stiffer bushings, and alpina flash, or even all these things without upgraded hard parts should yield a significant improvement in the stock trans reliability.
    Just my 2C, but it’s the software that presents an issue for us, moreso than the hardware. Look LVL10 and those folks are physically capable of providing the upgraded clutch packs, shims, high stalls, etc etc needed. There is nothing magical about the ZF box in the e8x/9x/6x N54. But we have 0 ability to amend or alter the MCM and TCU to our liking. So factory logic reigns, and compensates for things like shims. At least IMO, that’s the real barrier. We need to bug Cobb for a solution, or get $ + software engineers in a room with the MCM.

    Until then, Alpina Flash + Diff lockdown + stiffer trans mounts are as good as you’ll get. Which luckily for us is actually pretty good, it’s not like we have 6ATs exploding everywhere on RB cars.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,931
    Rep Points
    921.6
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    Just my 2C, but it’s the software that presents an issue for us, moreso than the hardware. Look LVL10 and those folks are physically capable of providing the upgraded clutch packs, shims, high stalls, etc etc needed. There is nothing magical about the ZF box in the e8x/9x/6x N54. But we have 0 ability to amend or alter the MCM and TCU to our liking. So factory logic reigns, and compensates for things like shims. At least IMO, that’s the real barrier. We need to bug Cobb for a solution, or get $ + software engineers in a room with the MCM.

    Until then, Alpina Flash + Diff lockdown + stiffer trans mounts are as good as you’ll get. Which luckily for us is actually pretty good, it’s not like we have 6ATs exploding everywhere on RB cars.
    I know software is a limiting factor, but did not know that the TCU in our cars also compensates or "re-calibrates" itself like the DME does. I wonder how much money we're talking to get going on the software. If enough guys were willing, I know I would put a few hundered into a pot to get a solution going. In the end, would be a lot cheaper just to modify/beef up the existing trans than do a complete swap and deal with a independent controller and what not.

    @Joss@Cobb would you be able to shed some light on what it would take or does take to get the software "access" to be able to tune this trans? Not sure how you gained access to the DME but I would think similar avenues could be used to gain access tot he TCU as well?
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

    Click here to enlarge

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,605
    Rep Points
    2,604.7
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    I know software is a limiting factor, but did not know that the TCU in our cars also compensates or "re-calibrates" itself like the DME does. I wonder how much money we're talking to get going on the software. If enough guys were willing, I know I would put a few hundered into a pot to get a solution going. In the end, would be a lot cheaper just to modify/beef up the existing trans than do a complete swap and deal with a independent controller and what not.

    @Joss@Cobb would you be able to shed some light on what it would take or does take to get the software "access" to be able to tune this trans? Not sure how you gained access to the DME but I would think similar avenues could be used to gain access tot he TCU as well?
    I’d love to hear Cobb chime in, that is how I understand it, but I am not positive and have no first-hand experience with fooling around the TCU/MCM.

    I would happily contribute a few bills to get the right people’s eyes and brains on this. Sadly I don’t see it happening. We’re talking a niche market within a niche market, within a market. Think about the “universe” of demand here:

    N54 owners< 6AT N54 owners< 6AT N54 owners who mod< 6AT N54 owners who mod for well over 500wtq.

    That’s a pretty short list of potential investors. The hardware is there to make this happen and from what little I understand, it appears the TCU is very capable and intelligent (the Alpina flash is pretty damn impressive). We just need a means of controlling it.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,931
    Rep Points
    921.6
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Yes Reputation No
    @Josh@Cobb saw I mispelled in previous post...
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

    Click here to enlarge

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    469
    Rep Points
    345.6
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    what's the trans temp of the 6AT at high torque levels 450lb-ft and the stock temp (stock car), anyone have a trans temp Gauge? based on this we can know if the external trans cooler is necessary or not

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    1,528
    Rep Points
    1,177.6
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    When checking codes with inpa i have seen like around 105c - 107c 5th gear.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    92
    Rep Points
    27.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    When checking codes with inpa i have seen like around 105c - 107c 5th gear.
    thanks for sharing!

    That's a lot! Since the AT ist watercooled (same circuit) maybe one should further upgrade the radiator. Many of us already have the additional watercooler of the BMW PPK, but what about upgrading the main radiator in the front?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    469
    Rep Points
    345.6
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    When checking codes with inpa i have seen like around 105c - 107c 5th gear.
    very high, how much torque in the run?
    it's very easy to install external trans cooler, the benefits r high

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,931
    Rep Points
    921.6
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135idct Click here to enlarge
    very high, how much torque in the run?
    it's very easy to install external trans cooler, the benefits r high
    I'm hoping the benefits are high.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

    Click here to enlarge

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    236
    Rep Points
    757.9
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    I’d love to hear Cobb chime in, that is how I understand it, but I am not positive and have no first-hand experience with fooling around the TCU/MCM.

    I would happily contribute a few bills to get the right people’s eyes and brains on this. Sadly I don’t see it happening. We’re talking a niche market within a niche market, within a market. Think about the “universe” of demand here:

    N54 owners< 6AT N54 owners< 6AT N54 owners who mod< 6AT N54 owners who mod for well over 500wtq.

    That’s a pretty short list of potential investors. The hardware is there to make this happen and from what little I understand, it appears the TCU is very capable and intelligent (the Alpina flash is pretty damn impressive). We just need a means of controlling it.
    Re-flashing the TCM should definitely be possible, but BMW's security is still very difficult for that module also. Its pretty surprising since most manufacturers focus on the engine side and have less security on the trans modules. This project has definitely been discussed, but is a very large one and I have no idea when or if it would be possible to complete.
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    866.922.3059
    Click here to enlarge
    web | forum | blog | facebook | twitter | youtube

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Roanoke VA
    Posts
    1,632
    Rep Points
    2,248.3
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    23


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Josh@Cobb Click here to enlarge
    Re-flashing the TCM should definitely be possible, but BMW's security is still very difficult for that module also. Its pretty surprising since most manufacturers focus on the engine side and have less security on the trans modules. This project has definitely been discussed, but is a very large one and I have no idea when or if it would be possible to complete.
    DO EEEETTTTClick here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,605
    Rep Points
    2,604.7
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Josh@Cobb Click here to enlarge
    Re-flashing the TCM should definitely be possible, but BMW's security is still very difficult for that module also. Its pretty surprising since most manufacturers focus on the engine side and have less security on the trans modules. This project has definitely been discussed, but is a very large one and I have no idea when or if it would be possible to complete.
    Yea it is frustrating, the R35 was figured out in about 10 minutes compared to this. I had previously thought there was enough demand to get movement on this, but sounds like BMW decided to make things very difficult on your end.
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    71
    Rep Points
    292.4
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    +1000 for Cobb to crack the TCU

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,931
    Rep Points
    921.6
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Josh@Cobb Click here to enlarge
    Re-flashing the TCM should definitely be possible, but BMW's security is still very difficult for that module also. Its pretty surprising since most manufacturers focus on the engine side and have less security on the trans modules. This project has definitely been discussed, but is a very large one and I have no idea when or if it would be possible to complete.

    What would it take to get an extra push to get it done? Perhaps a list of people who would be willing to donate ~$100/each to get this going and in return simply be on the list to be some of the first to be able to purchase the software?
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •