Close

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    61
    Rep Points
    107.4
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No

    What methanol/mix are you running?

    I had plans of getting bigger turbos because my wastegates failed but somehow bmw covered it under warranty and replaced my turbos while being fbo. No complaints.

    I figured why not throw some meth at them! I'm sending in my g4 to get upgraded to a g5 and selling my cobb shortly for a bt cable so I can run a backend flash. Then picking up the bms 2.3 gal trunk mount meth kit.

    I'm curious as to what brands/mixes or ratios other people are running. I'm currently looking at getting vp m1 (100%) seems to be fairly priced. $35 for 5gal.


    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    3,896
    Rep Points
    2,482.0
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    25


    Yes Reputation No
    VP M1 or other 99.9% methanol fuels are the only thing you should be running. nothing with any kind of additives or anything. Our local race shop carries Renegade fuels and we get 99.9% methanol for $5/gal. $7/gal for your M1 isn't bad either. Most of our local cars have trunk mount kits and run 80/20 meth/distilled water.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed


  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,930
    Rep Points
    921.6
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Why are you waiting to sell the Cobb to run a backend flash? Use the Cobb, just my opinion...not sure what you plan on gaining by selling the Cobb and using the BB flash.

    I'm running 100% meth that I buy from a local racing team/shop. I use the BMS 2.2 gal meth kit, it works great.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

    Click here to enlarge

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    61
    Rep Points
    107.4
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Yes Reputation No
    Terry offers the back end flash through the bt cable plus the money I will save will pay for the g5 upgrade.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    61
    Rep Points
    107.4
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Yes Reputation No
    When you say 100% you mean your running pure methanol with no distilled water mixed?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    61
    Rep Points
    107.4
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    VP M1 or other 99.9% methanol fuels are the only thing you should be running. nothing with any kind of additives or anything. Our local race shop carries Renegade fuels and we get 99.9% methanol for $5/gal. $7/gal for your M1 isn't bad either. Most of our local cars have trunk mount kits and run 80/20 meth/distilled water.
    thanks! During track season I can get it locally and it's cheaper but now that the season is over I have to order it from vp's website.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,930
    Rep Points
    921.6
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Burtonrider22 Click here to enlarge
    Terry offers the back end flash through the bt cable plus the money I will save will pay for the g5 upgrade.
    I know he does, how much do you plan on selling it for? I have one, just curious V2 just curious what they're selling for.

    Yes, I'm running 100% meth, no water mixed in. I'm here to go fast.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

    Click here to enlarge

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    61
    Rep Points
    107.4
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    I know he does, how much do you plan on selling it for? I have one, just curious V2 just curious what they're selling for.

    Yes, I'm running 100% meth, no water mixed in. I'm here to go fast.
    I haven't thought about it much but I would guess $450-500. I have a V2 as well. I know the v3 is nicer but they both do the exact same thing. One just looks cooler while doing it and costing $900. The bt cable is only 179.00 and the g5 upgrade is 150.00. So selling that will pay for all that plus a little towards the trunk mount kit.

    I hear you about wanting to go fast. Lol I was at the drag strip one time and found myself disappointed. The best I could get was a 12.4 @ 111. 08 135i 6 speed at the time is had jb4 fbo except intercooler. That run was my 11th pass and it was 98 degrees that day. Now all I want it more. I'd really like to see closer to a 120 trap.

    I almost had bigger turbos in the bag until my fiance suggested I take it to the dealer. I never thought they would replace them. I dropped it off on a wed and picked it up on Friday.

    Thanks for your input. Vp m1 100% it is!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,930
    Rep Points
    921.6
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Burtonrider22 Click here to enlarge
    I haven't thought about it much but I would guess $450-500. I have a V2 as well. I know the v3 is nicer but they both do the exact same thing. One just looks cooler while doing it and costing $900. The bt cable is only 179.00 and the g5 upgrade is 150.00. So selling that will pay for all that plus a little towards the trunk mount kit.

    I hear you about wanting to go fast. Lol I was at the drag strip one time and found myself disappointed. The best I could get was a 12.4 @ 111. 08 135i 6 speed at the time is had jb4 fbo except intercooler. That run was my 11th pass and it was 98 degrees that day. Now all I want it more. I'd really like to see closer to a 120 trap.

    I almost had bigger turbos in the bag until my fiance suggested I take it to the dealer. I never thought they would replace them. I dropped it off on a wed and picked it up on Friday.

    Thanks for your input. Vp m1 100% it is!
    Yeah, I almost had the stockers replaced as well, but I knew I wanted more and with FBO and aggressive tune even brand new ones aren't going to last before they start smoking. Expensive to upgrade though, that's for sure.

    On the track times, it's really not easy to get a quick pass, I go out to the track all the time and it's amazing the cars I see run that can break into 12's...guys with 5.0's and bolt-ons...it's just not that easy, especially down here in Florida.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

    Click here to enlarge

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    644
    Rep Points
    684.9
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    75/25 VP M1.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    2,086
    Rep Points
    2,205.2
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    23


    Yes Reputation No
    60/40 has been proven to be most effective for cooling/fueling.




  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    644
    Rep Points
    684.9
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    60/40 has been proven to be most effective for cooling/fueling.
    There's a formula for calculating ideal mixture based on systems CC/min flow... somewhere....
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    moco, md
    Posts
    1,186
    Rep Points
    1,481.0
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    70/30 99.9% meth/ distilled water.
    2008 e92 335i: JB4 G5 ISO/BMS back end flash, fbo, e85, inlets, Rb turbos, level 10 valve body + converter, water/methanol.....and a lot more....

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    3,896
    Rep Points
    2,482.0
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    25


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    60/40 has been proven to be most effective for cooling/fueling.
    This may be true for some set ups but not all. I'd like to see this calculator @uniter was talking about.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    644
    Rep Points
    684.9
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    Here's one... http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/waterinj...tml#calculator

    Who knows if it's rooted in any sort of reality.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    3,896
    Rep Points
    2,482.0
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    25


    Yes Reputation No
    Calculator is for motorcycles. Doesn't seem to apply.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed


  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    2,086
    Rep Points
    2,205.2
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    23


    Yes Reputation No
    60/40 guys, common.




  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    3,896
    Rep Points
    2,482.0
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    25


    Yes Reputation No
    ^^why 60/40? What proof is there that it works better than anything else or on every setup? What makes that the magic number? I went from 60/40 to 80/20 and was able to run 20psi on stock turbos with no timing pulls when I couldn't on 60/40. What I'm getting at is there is no magic number for every setup. You should run the lowest % of methanol that gets you to your goal and when you need more octane to suppress some knock increase your methanol content by 5%. Too easy
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed


  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    61
    Rep Points
    107.4
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    ^^why 60/40? What proof is there that it works better than anything else or on every setup? What makes that the magic number? I went from 60/40 to 80/20 and was able to run 20psi on stock turbos with no timing pulls when I couldn't on 60/40. What I'm getting at is there is no magic number for every setup. You should run the lowest % of methanol that gets you to your goal and when you need more octane to suppress some knock increase your methanol content by 5%. Too easy

    you don't recommend I start at 100% meth then? I want to get the most out of my stock turbos. I'll do plenty of logs but honestly don't know what I'm looking for to tell me if I should increase or decrease the amount of methanol.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    644
    Rep Points
    684.9
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Burtonrider22 Click here to enlarge
    you don't recommend I start at 100% meth then? I want to get the most out of my stock turbos. I'll do plenty of logs but honestly don't know what I'm looking for to tell me if I should increase or decrease the amount of methanol.
    Start w/ 50/50. Tune for no-knock. Increase methanol % until IAT and knock suppression (+ your wallet) are balanced to your liking.

    Data-logging only makes sense w/ a full-on 3-4-5-6 blast. By 5th gear your EGTs and IATs should be as high as they're going. Your car will have the worse chance of performing well by 6th gear. During my tuning for direct port injection we found some combos that worked well for 3-4 and not 5th, some that worked through 5th and not 6th on sustained back-to-back 160MPH + runs.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    61
    Rep Points
    107.4
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    Start w/ 50/50. Tune for no-knock. Increase methanol % until IAT and knock suppression (+ your wallet) are balanced to your liking.

    thanks for the tips!

    Data-logging only makes sense w/ a full-on 3-4-5-6 blast. By 5th gear your EGTs and IATs should be as high as they're going. Your car will have the worse chance of performing well by 6th gear. During my tuning for direct port injection we found some combos that worked well for 3-4 and not 5th, some that worked through 5th and not 6th on sustained back-to-back 160MPH + runs.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •