Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

New COBB V3 user

I installed the COBB Stg 1 ST Agressive tune and did three 3rd gear pulls as per attached datalogs. The "txt" file extension needs to be replaced with "cvs" after downloading.
    The pulls were done on three different road sections and are by no means perfect. I am new to all of this. For now I just want to figure out whether the engine is running OK with this tune and would appreciate any input about this very much. There were no errors logged. I am running Shell V-Power 93.
    The car is a 2008 535i with the Sport-AT without any other performance mods.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

I can't look at them now, and probably wouldn't be as helpful as others with more experience

but

http://datazap.me/

a site made by a member here, if you could upload the logs there, it would be easier for eveyone involved Click here to enlarge
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    I can't look at them now, and probably wouldn't be as helpful as others with more experience

but

http://datazap.me/

a site made by a member here, if you could upload the logs there, it would be easier for eveyone involved Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for pointing me there. I uploaded the datalogs there as you suggested.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by baveagle Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for pointing me there. I uploaded the datalogs there as you suggested.
    link?
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 Twin Turbo Diesel JBD

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You have a cyl 4 timing correction, which is odd at your low boost. Anyone know why timing starts negative at boost rampup and then goes positive? I'm seeing it on OTS Stage 2+ as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Tzu where do you see the timing correction in Cyl 4? I’m seeing clean timing across all cylinders for the duration of the pull.

OP it looks good to me, though I can’t explain the odd timing at the onset of the log. The advance curve after the very beginning looks good, as does the boost curve and AFR plot. What was the ambient temp outside? I’m amazed IATs held so flat on a stock intercooler.

Edit: I’m a moron and only looked at the first log. So the other logs may have issues I haven’t looked over those.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    135pats

Thanks for your comments. Ambient temps were in their 60s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Are you sure you have a stock intercooler? Serious question. I have NEVER seen the stock front mount hold ambient temps like that. And ambient around 60 isn’t freezing cold or anything like that. Generally speaking a stock front mount will be completely out of cooling efficieny by the top of a 3rd gear pull.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    You have a cyl 4 timing correction, which is odd at your low boost. Anyone know why timing starts negative at boost rampup and then goes positive? I'm seeing it on OTS Stage 2+ as well.
    It's only one correction though in a single cylinder. It ramps back up nicely. It does not appear in any other logs. Overall timing looks good in my opinion. Much better than the Proceed logs lately.

I'm guessing the timing dropping negative then ramping back up once boost builds is some sort of logic built into the DME. Maybe torque limiting, maybe knock prevention during spool, I don't know.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    It's only one correction though in a single cylinder. It ramps back up nicely. It does not appear in any other logs. Overall timing looks good in my opinion. Much better than the Proceed logs lately.

I'm guessing the timing dropping negative then ramping back up once boost builds is some sort of logic built into the DME. Maybe torque limiting, maybe knock prevention during spool, I don't know.
    I hadn’t thought about that- good point. The DME does all sorts of funky things with regards to torque limiting, and with how quickly the stock frames spool and provide peak torque, that would make sense. Looking over an E30 log I recently took, advance starts at around 10 degrees immediately at the onset of WOT. So there isn’t that sudden timing drop out we’re seeing here. Hm.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    I hadn’t thought about that- good point. The DME does all sorts of funky things with regards to torque limiting, and with how quickly the stock frames spool and provide peak torque, that would make sense. Looking over an E30 log I recently took, advance starts at around 10 degrees immediately at the onset of WOT. So there isn’t that sudden timing drop out we’re seeing here. Hm.
    Interesting. I would say compare the tables in ATR and see what's different.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Appears to me that @baveagle is having some traction issues. At the start of every run you can see the RPM jump up and settle back down which is indicative of wheel spin. Most likely some degree of traction control intervening.

I think his logs look very good. A timing correction or two is not uncommon at all. General rule of thumb is not more than 3 cylinders at the same time, and not more than 3.38*; all happening consistently.

Typically timing being reduced from target but not showing as a correction is caused by hitting a torque monitor, exceeding requested load, exceeding requested boost(most common during tip-in), hitting a CAT,ECT reduction table, or not completely disabling traction or stability control.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Appears to me that @baveagle is having some traction issues. At the start of every run you can see the RPM jump up and settle back down which is indicative of wheel spin. Most likely some degree of traction control intervening.

I think his logs look very good. A timing correction or two is not uncommon at all. General rule of thumb is not more than 3 cylinders at the same time, and not more than 3.38*; all happening consistently.

Typically timing being reduced from target but not showing as a correction is caused by hitting a torque monitor, exceeding requested load, exceeding requested boost(most common during tip-in), hitting a CAT,ECT reduction table, or not completely disabling traction or stability control.
    Great post, but I can't rep you. I noticed the strange looking RPM trace as well, and loss of traction would explain that and the timing issue if DSC/DTC were not off. The drop in timing is coincident with the hump in the RPM trace for all three logs.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good eye, didn't catch that. I would think if DTC were NOT off, then throttle plate trimming would have been more apparant, I didn't see any in the logs. Anyway, I'll check out my tables later.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Tzu, Cobb OTS maps REALLY soften the DME's ability to close the throttle plate in response to traction or overboost issues, which is something like throttle plate major threshold or something along those lines. You'll see that stock value for this is like .985, cobb changes it to .965 which makes a pretty massive difference.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good to know, I'm still learning Cobb stuff. PS how was key west dude? lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    Are you sure you have a stock intercooler? Serious question. I have NEVER seen the stock front mount hold ambient temps like that. And ambient around 60 isn’t freezing cold or anything like that. Generally speaking a stock front mount will be completely out of cooling efficieny by the top of a 3rd gear pull.
    I am the second owner and besides the Cobb tune have not added any mods yet. The original owner got a buyback from BMW at 21K miles in June of 2010, 30 months into the original lease.
    The ambient temp could have been around 55 deg. but not lower.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good eye, didn't catch that. I would think if DTC were NOT off, then throttle plate trimming would have been more apparant, I didn't see any in the logs. Anyway, I'll check out my tables later.
    I disabled DTC within minutes after leaving the garage, warmed up the car for at least 15 minutes and than did the three pulls with at least 5 to 10 minutes between runs at normal loads.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by baveagle Click here to enlarge
    I disabled DTC within minutes after leaving the garage, warmed up the car for at least 15 minutes and than did the three pulls with at least 5 to 10 minutes between runs at normal loads.
    So you held the button for ~5 seconds?
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    So you held the button for ~5 seconds?
    Yes, until the big yellow warning icon showed up for a number of seconds afterwards.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What gear are you capturing these logs in? You are either getting wheel spin, or have a slipping trans.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    3rd gear. Did not notice wheel spin, but this was the first time doing this and might have missed it. Also, I am not running the staggered setup but switched to all-season tires on a square setup for the winter.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good to know, I'm still learning Cobb stuff. PS how was key west dude? lol
    It was great, as always. In-laws have a house down there, so we visit often Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It’s not a major event, could just have been traction breaking loose for half a second when OP rolled into WOT.

And yea like @lulz_m3 said , from my experience OTS maps only close the throttle blade if you have BIG overshoots or a complete loss of traction. I’ve seen some pretty large overshoots that the DME had no interest in trimming down.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast