Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Is there a practical solution to the IJEOS timing flatline (flash only)?

The Alpina flash is all well and good, but timing into 4th is still dropping far too often in almost all IJEOS logs I see. If need be I could stack with a PROcede or JB, but i'd rather not. Is there a proven flash only solution?

I could buy MSD-80 I guess Click here to enlarge
    E88 N54 w stuff
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    #1 . You cannot throw an MSD80 into a late model N54.
    #2 . Unless Cobb has TCU access, you won't fix the flatlining flash only. You can improve it but still not as good as the flash/piggy combo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Unfortunately, "working on it" is where it's at right now.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ugh. That's what I was afraid of. I was talking to Enrita a bit about an MSD-80 swap, @themyst when you say "late model" do you mean any msd-81 factory car?

I would really prefer to leave everything to the DME on flashed tables....losing cyl 2-6 for logging would be extremely frustrating. Stupid 6AT.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    double post.
    Last edited by 135pats; 11-17-2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: double post.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why not just throw a jb on there. I picked up almost 2mph with flatline "fix" jb map. same night b2b 117 to 119 give or take a few tenths
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    Why not just throw a jb on there. I picked up almost 2mph with flatline "fix" jb map. same night b2b 117 to 119 give or take a few tenths
    I really want to avoid a tuner war here, but for various reasons I really don't want to stray from flashing to the DME. I'll live with it for the HFS-4, but outside of that i'd rather remain flash only.

Problem is if there isn't a serious solution, I don't really have a choice do I? In that case i'd probably give in and get a used PROcede, but then i'd have wasted a bunch of money on the Aquamist setup when I should have gotten Shiv's hardware. Click here to enlarge
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    I really want to avoid a tuner war here, but for various reasons I really don't want to stray from flashing to the DME. I'll live with it for the HFS-4, but outside of that i'd rather remain flash only.

Problem is if there isn't a serious solution, I don't really have a choice do I? In that case i'd probably give in and get a used PROcede, but then i'd have wasted a bunch of money on the Aquamist setup when I should have gotten Shiv's hardware. Click here to enlarge
    This shouldn't be anywhere close a tuner war. You have two options:

1) Stack a JB and stop the flatline.
    2) Stay on COBB and live with it for now.

You say you don't want to stray away from flashing the DME, but stacking involves doing so. Also, I'd stay away from anything Shiv spits out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    This isn't anywhere close to a discussion of a tuner war. You have two options:

1) Stack a JB and stop the flatline.
    2) Stay on COBB and live with it for now.

You say you don't want to stray away from flashing the DME, but stacking involves doing so. Also, I'd stay away from anything Shiv spits out.
    Well yes stacking of course still leaves the flash in control of a lot, i'm just not thrilled with the prospect of logging using a single cylinder for corrections. Ideally of course, I have no interest in stacking. But the choices seem very limited, and very clear.

I don't get into the whole Shiv vs Terry stuff, but i'd be perfectly open to either tune. How does the JB integrate with Aquamist?

JB running isolated boost with the flash doing everything else is fast, i'm not denying that.

Haven't seen you posting on E90 in awhile bud Click here to enlarge
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well yes stacking of course still leaves the flash in control of a lot, i'm just not thrilled with the prospect of logging using a single cylinder for corrections. Ideally of course, I have no interest in stacking. But the choices seem very limited, and very clear.

I don't get into the whole Shiv vs Terry stuff, but i'd be perfectly open to either tune. How does the JB integrate with Aquamist?

JB running isolated boost with the flash doing everything else is fast, i'm not denying that.

Haven't seen you posting on E90 in awhile bud Click here to enlarge
    I'm with you in not giving up the ability to see your motor's timing. Cylinder 1 tells you nothing. This is why I'm not stacking on my car. I do prefer the control the JB has over the wastegates in comparison to the way the DME controls boost but I can't lose logging values as essential as timing.

I'm not aware of the integration Aquamist kits have with the JB. @Terry@BMS?

Yes, I've been done with that forum for awhile. Jason gave me two infractions over some complete bull$#@!, and I'm not going to be playing games with that fool wasting my time. If he wants to hide facts to increase his profits I won't be there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

The JB4 integrates nicely with the Aquamist kit. Better than a flash only tune ever could. Click here to enlarge

No cyl 2-6 timing logging yet, though, but its being worked on.

Meth details:
    http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22272
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would stack with a JB in a heartbeat for meth integration and direct boost control....if we could see what all cylinders were doing. Terry if you can pull this one out, it would be 110% awesome. And yea I couldn't agree more, the JB ingrates with meth far better than any flash can. Though I trust the AM failsafe on its own. Hm...i'll ponder it over the KC DEN game and probably get a JB4 tomorrow Click here to enlarge
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    FWIW, the backend flash isn't a "fix." It reduces the effect but it is still there. It sucks that there really isn't a solution yet.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've been talking about the shift bog issue since 2007.
    Cobb tuned, spec2+, wavetrac, DCI, ARdp's, AA fmic, forge DV's, M3 links & Sways, bbs lm's, bunch of exterior mods, and one happy BMW driver

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marcvtec Click here to enlarge
    MT shift bog and AT flat lining are two different things.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marcvtec Click here to enlarge
    I wish it was just a bog. The IJEOS flatline is a big F U from the car.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You can't put an MSD80 into a car that comes with MSD81 from the factory.

I would "prefer" to be flash only as well, but the JB4/Cobb Stack works fantastic. Terry@BMS did some dyno testing on how much the flatline costs you in terms of power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would stack with a JB in a heartbeat for meth integration and direct boost control....if we could see what all cylinders were doing. Terry if you can pull this one out, it would be 110% awesome. And yea I couldn't agree more, the JB ingrates with meth far better than any flash can. Though I trust the AM failsafe on its own. Hm...i'll ponder it over the KC DEN game and probably get a JB4 tomorrow Click here to enlarge
    why cant you log timing on cyl1-6 with your Cobb when stacking? Does the jb4 "take over" the can bus?
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    why cant you log timing on cyl1-6 with your Cobb when stacking? Does the jb4 "take over" the can bus?
    Yea JB highjacks the CANbus. You lose a lot on the logging side.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    The JB4 integrates nicely with the Aquamist kit. Better than a flash only tune ever could. Click here to enlarge

No cyl 2-6 timing logging yet, though, but its being worked on.

Meth details:
    http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22272
    Could you get cyl 1-6 logging available for those who run the Cobb back end flash? From what i hear the issue is that not all ROM versions support cyl 1-6, but we already know Cobb fix's that. I'd honestly probably pick up a JB4 in the future if you got that feature enabled.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i am installing MSD80 to fix this. I have MY07. Never had flatlining before on old dme.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Could you get cyl 1-6 logging available for those who run the Cobb back end flash? From what i hear the issue is that not all ROM versions support cyl 1-6, but we already know Cobb fix's that. I'd honestly probably pick up a JB4 in the future if you got that feature enabled.
    If there was a practical way to have a piggyback control boost while having the DME handle everything else + full cylinder correction data logging, I’d stack in a heartbeat. Dialing in boost curves flash only is a pain, but it’s more or less a deal breaker to only see cyl 1 when logging for me.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If there was a practical way to have a piggyback control boost while having the DME handle everything else + full cylinder correction data logging, I’d stack in a heartbeat. Dialing in boost curves flash only is a pain, but it’s more or less a deal breaker to only see cyl 1 when logging for me.
    That is almost precisely what the stack does. Does a little bias but if your trims check out then the JB4 serves as a de facto boost controller.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

If you're running stock turbos cyl 2-6 is more or less irrelevant. If running RB turbos it's good data to have but the curves we run are well proven over the years so IMHO not a deal breaker. For large single turbos, I really want to get 2-6 working...
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    If you're running stock turbos cyl 2-6 is more or less irrelevant. If running RB turbos it's good data to have but the curves we run are well proven over the years so IMHO not a deal breaker. For large single turbos, I really want to get 2-6 working...
    You know orders of magnitude more than I do about this platform, but i'm not willing to concede that going blind on cyl 2-6 is irrelevant, or close to.

I get your broader point though. You guys have dialed in 1,000s of cars, i'm not suggesting anything is going to explode Click here to enlarge

Stacking is an increasingly appealing option.

Edit: by the way the ST E82 is incredibleeeee
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast