Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Bought 135i now dealer calls 10 days later saying I owe another $1000

I got a call Tuesday evening from Andy, the bmw's finance guy that had me sign all the paperwork saying basically he made a mistake. I had put $1000 deposit down to hold the car until it was ready. The deal I got was after my trade in I still owed $10,500 so in the finance room when he asked for the remaining balance I said "hey how does the deposit work that I put down?" he looks at his computer says okay you have $1000 deposit so then I need $9500. I gave him a check for $6000 and $3500 in cash sign all the paper work, drive home. Fast forward 10 days later and he calls me and says he put in that I had a $2000 deposit and If he could just get my credit card real quick so he can charge me another $1000!!! I said no, I don't have any more $ to spend, had you told me I owed you that last Sunday I wouldn't have bought the car. So basically what happened is the Salesman never told me they had already deducted my deposit from the amounts they were showing me what i would owe after trade in, and andy the finance guy who has only been working there a few weeks, $#@!ed up and didn't ask the salesman about the deposit and entered it in twice.

So andy says okay Ill have my finance manager call you back, this was at like 5-530pm Tuesday. Never got a call back from him or the finance manager. Then yesterday the salesman calls me and says I agreed to the deal, and I knew the deposit had already been taken out, blah blah blah. I told him the same thing, had I known I needed another $1000 I wouldn't have bought the car, and don't sell or get rid of my trade in because I don't have the $ and I'll take my car and my $ back. He says ok, I'll have "internal" call you back. Not sure who that is, but he called me around 1pm yesterday and never heard back from anyone.

Not sure what I should do. Was thinking of just calling the GM and telling him what happened and that I just want my $ and car back. But since it was there mistake I think they should flatbed my car back down here so it doesn't get damaged or miles added to it and its a 5 hour drive each way from where I live

What do you guys think?
    @Sticky would you mind leaving this here since this section gets the most traffic, thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Honestly I'd just say in that case you don't want the car and return it for a full refund. There is a 50/50 chance they write off the $1000 and worst case you can go find another car somewhere else. As you said tell them they need to come pick it up and drop your car off.

I wouldn't sweat the miles.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Honestly I'd just say in that case you don't want the car and return it for a full refund. There is a 50/50 chance they write off the $1000 and worst case you can go find another car somewhere else. As you said tell them they need to come pick it up and drop your car off.

I wouldn't sweat the miles.
    At this point, I'd rather just return the car.

The other thing that pissed me off is I asked the salesman on the phone before I drove up there "So I only have to pay tax on the difference after my trade in right?" He says yes. Thats one of the only reasons i decided to trade it in versus selling it to a private party. Sure enough though I get up there and see I'm being charged $1700 in tax. I ask him the same question and now its " oh no, that's not how it is in CA"....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    you're going to have to look at the paperwork you signed. bottom line is you have already signed a leagally binding contract. if that $1000 is shown on the paperwork in any kind of "dealership math" you will owe it to them. there is also another paper you sign in that process that says you will comply with the contract you signed and give them anytihng you owe them such as outstanding paperwork or documents of any kind. if that $1000 isn't shown in the contract, they're screwed. it's yours. Go over your paperwork.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    At this point, I'd rather just return the car.

The other thing that pissed me off is I asked the salesman on the phone before I drove up there "So I only have to pay tax on the difference after my trade in right?" He says yes. Thats one of the only reasons i decided to trade it in versus selling it to a private party. Sure enough though I get up there and see I'm being charged $1700 in tax. I ask him the same question and now its " oh no, that's not how it is in CA"....
    Yes only a few states do that on sales tax credits for trade ins. CA is not one of them.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The dealership will have to eat it. You should have a copy of the contract and possibly a "we owe you owe" form signed by both you and the finance guy. If either of those two things dont mention anything about additional money being owed you are good to go. Just remember to not do business with them in the future
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Yes only a few states do that on sales tax credits for trade ins. CA is not one of them.
    Which is fine, just don't lie to me on the phone to get me there only to pull a 180 when I show up. But what do you expect from car salesman

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

do you not like the 135?
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rdeterman Click here to enlarge
    The dealership will have to eat it. You should have a copy of the contract and possibly a "we owe you owe" form signed by both you and the finance guy. If either of those two things dont mention anything about additional money being owed you are good to go. Just remember to not do business with them in the future
    You can count on that! Once everything is ironed out I will post the dealership name and salesman so people can avoid future headaches.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sad thing is most dealerships/salesmen are the same too. I've bought MANY cars in my lifetime. Since I've lived here (5 years) I've found a salesman that i really trust and the wife and I have bought 7 cars from him in 5 years LOL. You have to really know your stuff when you are buying a car. Those guys are very slick and many of them will put the screws to you the first chance they get. It's sad though because the good ones are the ones that get return customers and have no problems selling cars.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    do you not like the 135?
    I like it, just not enough to pay another grand, doesn't have nearly as many options as my 335 had. No premium package, no logic 7, no nav, no comfort access. If I give it back I will definitely be getting another MT 135. Only thing it has I don't like is active steering.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

What ever is on the sales contract is binding. So go check out the numbers, if the numbers match your side. Then you don't owe sh*t.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I like it, just not enough to pay another grand, doesn't have nearly as many options as my 335 had. No premium package, no logic 7, no nav, no comfort access. If I give it back I will definitely be getting another MT 135. Only thing it has I don't like is active steering.
    thats why i sold my 2008 135, had heated seat... just drivers side lol that was the the only option lol
    fun car though
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I used to sell cars. They made the mistake. You are in the clear. Tell them to contact the local police if they believe they can show legally that you owe them $1000.

If you have the title there is really nothing they can do...
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 Twin Turbo Diesel JBD

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    thats why i sold my 2008 135, had heated seat... just drivers side lol that was the the only option lol
    fun car though
    Lol, heated seat. I thought it was pretty sad when I flipped down the sun visor, open the mirror and it doesn't even have a light. They definitely cut cost on the 1's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    I used to sell cars. They made the mistake. You are in the clear. Tell them to contact the local police if they believe they can show legally that you owe them $1000.

If you have the title there is really nothing they can do...
    Don't have the title yet. Bought it Sunday November 3rd, they contacted my on the 12th saying u still owe. Is it safe to assume the title paperwork is already been submitted and on its way? Can they do anything to stop it from being sent?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

This crap happens all the time. Check your paperwork. Chances are they'll have to eat it but you can bet your ass they're not going to admit that to you. Step 1 get a copy of any and all paper work and do your homework. Report back and we'll walk you through the next step.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    you're going to have to look at the paperwork you signed. bottom line is you have already signed a leagally binding contract. if that $1000 is shown on the paperwork in any kind of "dealership math" you will owe it to them. there is also another paper you sign in that process that says you will comply with the contract you signed and give them anytihng you owe them such as outstanding paperwork or documents of any kind. if that $1000 isn't shown in the contract, they're screwed. it's yours. Go over your paperwork.
    This is exactly right. If it's on the paperwork, you owe them. If you have provided all of the funds the paper work requires, then tell them they can sue you for the difference (Of course they won't once their lawyer reviews the paperwork). There are typically two types of people that work at dealerships: 1) Dishonest people who treat others like $#@! 2) People who wish they could get out of the industry and still make a decent living because they are tired of working for dishonest people who treat them like $#@!.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

If your paperwork matches what you paid, tell them to f themselves, you just got a free $1000. It's their mistake. I wouldn't sweat it
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    There are typically two types of people that work at dealerships: 1) Dishonest people who treat others like $#@! 2) People who wish they could get out of the industry and still make a decent living because they are tired of working for dishonest people who treat them like $#@!.
    Surprisingly accurate. Add in that you have to be dishonest and lie to make money which sucks. I worked over a grandmother for 4200 once. Had another woman crying saying she couldn't afford the car after signing the paperwork. Both bought their cars and I made some good $$$. I am so glad I left.

Double check your paperwork. Someone caught that the FI guy made a mistake or he caught it himself.

I would be polite with them on the phone. If you really do owe them 1k just pray they make a mistake a sell/auction off your trade in. Departments at dealerships don't always talk to each other.

I would be very surprised if you end up having to pay.
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 Twin Turbo Diesel JBD

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    10.5k for a 135i? no $#@!, i should move to america!!!

unless it's got 150-200,000mi haha

Lol, heated seat. I thought it was pretty sad when I flipped down the sun visor, open the mirror and it doesn't even have a light. They definitely cut cost on the 1's.
    .. how do you get a 1er with no sunvisor light? even the 116i hatches here with no options have the vanity light :/
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    10.5k for a 135i? no $#@!, i should move to america!!!

unless it's got 150-200,000mi haha

.. how do you get a 1er with no sunvisor light? even the 116i hatches here with no options have the vanity light :/
    I wish it was only $10,500! That's what I paid after my trade in.

Not sure on the vanity light. Must be part of the premium package in the good ol us of a.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Take a few-day long road trip and return the car. I had a coworker buy a brand new MazdaSpeed3 and he traded in his Dodge Magnum for it. 2 weeks later the dealer calls him and tells him they made a mistake and he owes $3k more. My coworker just returned the car with 2k miles on the clock and took his Magnum back on which they replaced the tires ($#@!ty Sumitomos but still) and detailed it. He didn't pay a penny.
    M3.
    Mazda3 that is Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Still no word from the dealer today. I called the general manager about an hour ago and it went straight to voicemail. Left a very polite message explaining what happened and what would make me happy is to just have them return my car and full refund. Will keep you guys posted, thanks for all the advice!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2086 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Sticky would you mind leaving this here since this section gets the most traffic, thanks!
    I would mind, yes.

Moved.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast