Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    This is a BMW not a clapped out 5.0 mustang, the whole point of this cars is to have a 11 second car with the ac on and the windows up in comfort. Why are you even thinking of doing this? I don't really get it. the gains you get from removing the AC compressor are going to be so minimal. Just turn the AC off when you are about to race. What you want to try to shave another 10lbs? I think you may be on the wrong platform. These cars are not light.
    to be fair.. the compressor alone weighs a LOT more than 10lb.. plus condensor, lines etc.

If i were to de-register mine and track-only it.. it's pretty obvious weight redution choice if i were still overweight

i'd probably look into getting a plate made up with a wheel sitting on it to replace the compressor though, and be able to keep the right sized belt (well, i'd look into it lol)
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Unless going for a really hardcore track-car removing the AC-pump and other AC components is really not worth the hassle.
    If you need to ask on a forum how to do this, you better not do it at all.
    Removing the AC pump also halves the reach of the deflection pulley making the tolerance of the belt even more critical.

The idea of removing the power steering pump from the equation makes me wonder if you have ever driven a non-powersteering car at all?
    Glad you steered clear of that idea. That would have ruined your drive big time.
    In fairness non power steered cars that are designed as such do steer lighter than a power steering car without a pump, but if you have the choice between non power steering and BMW power steering it really is a no-brainer.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    cars with broken power steering aren't TOO bad at speed (having had acc belts snap before), but not something i'd want to add to the stress/strain of track driving, especially when not a car designed unassisted (which is difficult enough already!!)
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wouldn't the steering rack start failing eventually if you drive without power steering?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    cars with broken power steering aren't TOO bad at speed (having had acc belts snap before), but not something i'd want to add to the stress/strain of track driving, especially when not a car designed unassisted (which is difficult enough already!!)
    Driving it hard would suck, and driving it at low speeds would be beyond miserable. Good to see OP shelved this idea.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12