Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Justin@BoostAddictions Click here to enlarge
    In my first strongman show? I came in first in my weight class (180-200). It was a smaller local comp so had more weight classes. At a national level lightweight is up to 105kg (231lbs). I'm working my way up to that now. I"m pretty lanky so I got room to grow for sure.

I follow what called Westside Principles, written by Louie Simmons. It's not really a set routine, but more of a guideline. It's fairly difficult to explain, but basically you alternate exercise, and intensity while focusing on bringing up weaknesses. It's more advanced because it requires you to know what you need.

Basically this is my week:

Monday: Squat Variant, secondary squat movement, then assistance work. Generally Lat Work

Tuesday: Bench variant, secondary bench movement, then assistance. Upper back and triceps

Thursday: Deadlift Variant, Secondary DL, then lat work

Friday: Overhead Press variant (Mostly strict presses), secondary movement, then tricep work.

Saturdays: Optional Event day. Haven't been doing it lately.

You're lucky you have access to those Implements. I'm jelly. Also check out Mark Bell's Powercast podcast. He's been helping a lot of CF guys lately, and has had guests such as Kelly Starrett. It's got a ton of info.
    What amount of sets and reps do you do?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lots of variety with the Westside "Conjugate Method" training schedule; you've got Height Weight (Intensity) vs. Low Rep (Volume) days and then Moderate Intensity/High Volume days. You can Google Westside Barbell/Louie Simmons, there's lots of websites that attempt to explain his training style

Here's the best one I found: http://syattfitness.com/athletic-per...a-users-guide/
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Basically what Benzy said. You should also read this http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...ization-bible/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    IMO Westside is very difficult for the average guy to implement correctly. Louie says if you aren't training at Westside, you aren't doing Westside. That said, you aren't doing speed work which is one of the major tenets of the system. Do you feel speed work helps you?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I do speed work. It has done wonders for my big 3. For ohp I have not.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I felt like speed work helped me, but not for the reasons outlined by Louie. For me anyway, I found:

1: Speed work made me do tons of repetition at low weight with perfect form.
    2: Speed work got me mentally used to the idea of moving a weight fast.

I've never done any speed work for overhead. I think I goofed around with it but that was back when I was over thinking all aspects of training instead of just doing ass busting basics.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    In high school I used to do Olympic weight lifting with Jim Schmitz (USA weight lifting coach) to help explosiveness for football (middle linebacker). I now body build 3x week full work-out, but only 1 hour, and to failure. As an example with dumbbell bench I start at 80lbs 1x15 then 100 1x8 and finish with 1x5 with 115lbs. I go as heavy as I can with strict form. I don't cheat and I don't use "speed" lift. I push as hard as I can , but I incorporate neg's in my lifts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Adding weight on after doing a set with a lower weight is freaking hard. I don't know how you do that. I just keep the same weight for each set.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Adding weight on after doing a set with a lower weight is freaking hard. I don't know how you do that. I just keep the same weight for each set.
    I started lifting in my garage when I was 15 yo. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Get a nice little combination of Oly Lifts & Squats with a CrossFIT twist

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Just did my first meet on saturday. I had a good time. Our team won 1st place, and I won second place in the 220 class. I weighed in at 202 so I have a lot of room grow. nothing but good things to come. I kept all my weights conservative since this was my first meet. my goal was to go 9/9. I ended up going 8/9. my last deadlift I got 2 white lights, then a judge changed their mind and called me for hitching. I saw a lot of lifters with a lot more bar movement than I had, but whatever. Next time I'll just come out and smash it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    WTF does two white lights mean. You're speaking gibberish.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    White light = good lift
    red light = no lift

there are 3 judges. You need 2 whites for a lift to pass

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I see.

Sucks they called it good then changed it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    well done!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good job, congrats on a successful first meet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks guys. I had a lot more fun than I thought I would. I think I'll do another one in the winter.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow congrats bro. Thats some crazy weight to be putting up!

I just started eating enough to really pack some mass on about 8 months ago. I did an upper body cycle with my coach last year and put on about 7lbs of mass. As of now Im sitting around 179. I bulked up to 190 and then cut down again, I feel much better about how things turned out.

Overhead/shoulder work was always a weak spot for me. In the crossfit world my lower extremeties would be considered advanced while my upper body is intermediate/beginner. After the sessions my bench went from barely 135 to 220 1RM. Worked the westside programming as well with all 3 grips and has helped immensely.

We have also focused a LOT on squats. Backsquat cycle last year had me finishing up at 245x2 in competiton. I hit a PR of 300 New Years eve, then after our latest 6 week cycle I hit 345x1 with some left in the tank. My coach is somewhere in the 440 range for multiple reps lol. Deadlift I hit 355x5 or 365x3, havent worked on them a lot latley.

I do a whole lot of clean/clean and jerk work, but snatches seem to bother my back a lot and aggravate my tendonitis so ive kept away from them. My question is, at 180lbs, how competitive is that class? Do I need to work on increasing my weights significantly just to compete?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    TNT Diet-the book.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    Wow congrats bro. Thats some crazy weight to be putting up!

I just started eating enough to really pack some mass on about 8 months ago. I did an upper body cycle with my coach last year and put on about 7lbs of mass. As of now Im sitting around 179. I bulked up to 190 and then cut down again, I feel much better about how things turned out.

Overhead/shoulder work was always a weak spot for me. In the crossfit world my lower extremeties would be considered advanced while my upper body is intermediate/beginner. After the sessions my bench went from barely 135 to 220 1RM. Worked the westside programming as well with all 3 grips and has helped immensely.

We have also focused a LOT on squats. Backsquat cycle last year had me finishing up at 245x2 in competiton. I hit a PR of 300 New Years eve, then after our latest 6 week cycle I hit 345x1 with some left in the tank. My coach is somewhere in the 440 range for multiple reps lol. Deadlift I hit 355x5 or 365x3, havent worked on them a lot latley.

I do a whole lot of clean/clean and jerk work, but snatches seem to bother my back a lot and aggravate my tendonitis so ive kept away from them. My question is, at 180lbs, how competitive is that class? Do I need to work on increasing my weights significantly just to compete?
    just go compete and have fun. 181's are super competitive, and dominated by guys sub 5'9. But all that doesn't matter. Nobody cares how much you lift but you, or anybody who came to support. People will cheer for you even if you deadlift 135. It's a very supportive community. I'm super competitive, and didn't want to compete until I felt my numbers were good enough. I realized I just missed out on having some fun.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    just go compete and have fun. 181's are super competitive, and dominated by guys sub 5'9. But all that doesn't matter. Nobody cares how much you lift but you, or anybody who came to support. People will cheer for you even if you deadlift 135. It's a very supportive community. I'm super competitive, and didn't want to compete until I felt my numbers were good enough. I realized I just missed out on having some fun.
    Please translate.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge

awesome to know. There was one this weekend and my friend went 8/9, totaled somewhere in the 1100 range. wants to go back next time for 1200s. knocked his head on the bar too and gave him a pretty big knot lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Some of you may appreciate this. Was doing some push presses and got a PR. It was one of my last strength-only goals.

2007 E90, 6MT, VTT 2+ (19t/unclipped), VRSF 7" FMIC, RR DP's, Corsa Exhaust, CP-e Charge Pipe/Tial BOV, BMS DCI, Fuel-it! Stg 2 LPFP, Fuel-it Magic TBI, E66, 126k+ miles Brentuned

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Jesus, and I'm glad when I can get 205 in the air off a C+J

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SCGT Click here to enlarge
    Some of you may appreciate this. Was doing some push presses and got a PR. It was one of my last strength-only goals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAJS...ture=autoshare
    that looked way too easy. Nice job!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast