Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

135i MT fit in 335i?

I just royally F Ucked up just pulled the trigger on a MT from a 135i. from what i understand they are the exact same. looked them up and theres a MT for the 135i/z4, the one for the 335i doesn't overlap Click here to enlarge sales are final i believe.

LOL my question is will it fit? even though they are different in part number i don't really know what can be deferent other than internally.one trans shorter or longer maybe?
    Last edited by sammy_0559; 11-11-2013 at 10:20 AM.
    Click here to enlarge
    Instagram: Sammy0559
    VTX3's Click here to enlarge
    Got one more tow with AAA lets make it count Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

They should be exactly the same model I would think?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    N54 transmissions are the same 135>335 - motors are identical (GS6-53BZ)

N55 transmissions are the same 135>335 (GS6-45BZ iirc)

the 1M has the same transmission as the N55 bolted to the N54 (it's a little weaker) - logically i can't see them making up a custom bellhousing for a parts bin car.

based off that info, i'd be confident enough to say you'll be fine Click here to enlarge

only thing that could be any worry would maybe be the length, i haven't compared N55 and N54 *35i driveshafts.. not a big worry as cheaply modified, or ebay purchase, anyway

ED: just realized you were doing an AT>MT swap anyway? length differences don't matter then haha
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge

the 1M has the same transmission as the N55 bolted to the N54 (it's a little weaker) - logically i can't see them making up a custom bellhousing for a parts bin car.

based off that info, i'd be confident enough to say you'll be fine Click here to enlarge

only thing that could be any worry would maybe be the length, i haven't compared N55 and N54 *35i driveshafts.. not a big worry as cheaply modified, or ebay purchase, anyway

ED: just realized you were doing an AT>MT swap anyway? length differences don't matter then haha
    Regarding the 1M, are you saying that the N55 tranny is a little weaker or that the N54 motor is a little weaker?

Thanks.

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MDORPHN Click here to enlarge
    Regarding the 1M, are you saying that the N55 tranny is a little weaker or that the N54 motor is a little weaker?

Thanks.

Neil
    The trans (specifically the gears) are probably built to the same TQ specs, which still haven't been hit (no ones heard of gears getting sheared on a high power N54/N55 car). The relevant differences that could exists between the two are the factory clutches & their TQ capability. I would assume the 1 Series M came with a much higher strength clutch then a normal 135/335, regardless of N54 or N55.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    They should be exactly the same model I would think?
    thats what i thought i bought it without question... then thought to my self HMM maybe time to verify lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    The trans (specifically the gears) are probably built to the same TQ specs, which still haven't been hit (no ones heard of gears getting sheared on a high power N54/N55 car). The relevant differences that could exists between the two are the factory clutches & their TQ capability. I would assume the 1 Series M came with a much higher strength clutch then a normal 135/335, regardless of N54 or N55.
    Well its gonna be launching a 4k lb car.. so i need the strongest manual i can get, should i spend the extra money and get a 335i trans... maybe the 135i/z4 trans was engineered for the weight of the car. 3200lbs-3500lbs.....335i was made to handle 3600 lbs-4k aka vert.. damn it. lol $650 trans.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MDORPHN Click here to enlarge

Thanks.

Neil
    What benzy said - i would assume there are some internal differences though, otherwise why would the transmission have a different part number, not just the clutch?
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sammy_0559 Click here to enlarge

Well its gonna be launching a 4k lb car.. so i need the strongest manual i can get, should i spend the extra money and get a 335i trans... maybe the 135i/z4 trans was engineered for the weight of the car. 3200lbs-3500lbs.....335i was made to handle 3600 lbs-4k aka vert.. damn it. lol $650 trans.
    If it's from an N54, it'll have the same transmission \ (GS6-53BZ) regardless of 135i or 335i- for peace of mind i'd get that one for sure, it's proven to hold at least 700whp Click here to enlarge

i'm not sure anyone has pushed a 1M with the 45BZ to the same power levels as 135i's have seen? if they have and it's also fine.. then meh!
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

FWIW, I know someone who's pushed his 1M to around 470 whp and about same torque. He has an upgraded clutch (Spec 2+ with steel single mass fly) and hasn't had any issues with the tranny.

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

If it's from an N54, it'll have the same transmission \ (GS6-53BZ) regardless of 135i or 335i- for peace of mind i'd get that one for sure, it's proven to hold at least 700whp Click here to enlarge

i'm not sure anyone has pushed a 1M with the 45BZ to the same power levels as 135i's have seen? if they have and it's also fine.. then meh!
    GS6-53BZ - TJGK --> 135i

GS6-53DZ - THGX --> 335i

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Different shifter placement, maybe? The 135i is shorter than a 335i. That might just be the back half of the car, though. Just a guess.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Isn't the 6mt the same one used in the e60 m5/m6? I think you'll be fine, 650$ is not a bad deal.. I spent that much figuring out a lpfp solution for the 535i Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

GS6-53BZ - TJGK --> 135i

GS6-53DZ - THGX --> 335i

Click here to enlarge
    http://www.bmwforums.info/general-gu...ification.html

spent a while trying to find that, as i wasn't sure i remembred right.. Z = petrol, D = diesel... they're supposed to have different gear ratios if they have different letters there too?

and other results i can find, they say the D's have different bellhousings, which is impossible on the N54.. because.. well, the bolts.. and that people have donor-ed 135's into 335's and vice versa.

however.... it could have a shorter or longer bellhousing, if the diesels usually have different length engines, which might explain the difference from 135>335, but even then, that would be somewhat odd... as it would be MUCH cheaper just to have different length linkages lol

since it's purchased now, see how it goes and let us know, am extremely interested Click here to enlarge

it's the little contradictions in part numbers etc. that get me sometimes.

... now i have to go check the transmission i have sitting in my garage to be sure/check what i've got, a little worried Click here to enlarge

ED: the 330d and 123d both have the DZ, so it's not a difference between 1 and 3 series lengthwise.. good guarantee it'll fit at least

i'd be really interested to know wtf the actual difference is between various TH** etc. in the DZ's.. and from BZ to DZ, and if the 335i actually has DZ considering it supposedly has different ratios?
    Last edited by Flinchy; 11-11-2013 at 09:06 PM.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

http://www.bmwforums.info/general-gu...ification.html

spent a while trying to find that, as i wasn't sure i remembred right.. Z = petrol, D = diesel... they're supposed to have different gear ratios if they have different letters there too?

and other results i can find, they say the D's have different bellhousings, which is impossible on the N54.. because.. well, the bolts.. and that people have donor-ed 135's into 335's and vice versa.

however.... it could have a shorter or longer bellhousing, if the diesels usually have different length engines, which might explain the difference from 135>335, but even then, that would be somewhat odd... as it would be MUCH cheaper just to have different length linkages lol

since it's purchased now, see how it goes and let us know, am extremely interested Click here to enlarge

it's the little contradictions in part numbers etc. that get me sometimes.

... now i have to go check the transmission i have sitting in my garage to be sure/check what i've got, a little worried Click here to enlarge
    well I'm begging for a refund at this point.. I'm doing a MT swap, i need to be as close to OEM as possible i don't wanna retrofit a retrofit because of a retrofit. haha
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

well I'm begging for a refund at this point.. I'm doing a MT swap, i need to be as close to OEM as possible i don't wanna retrofit a retrofit because of a retrofit. haha
    heh, totally understand that..

I've made a thread elsewhere (for visibility) as to wtf the difference is

same gear ratios, same bellhousing bolt pattern, same length (fits a 1er, fits a 3er) - i'm totally stumped!

ED: but the 123d apparently has the same trans as the 335i.. with different gear ratios?

i'm half convinced it's just a typo or something at this point haha - hopefully light can be shed soon Click here to enlarge
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

heh, totally understand that..

I've made a thread elsewhere (for visibility) as to wtf the difference is

same gear ratios, same bellhousing bolt pattern, same length (fits a 1er, fits a 3er) - i'm totally stumped!

ED: but the 123d apparently has the same trans as the 335i.. with different gear ratios?

i'm half convinced it's just a typo or something at this point haha - hopefully light can be shed soon Click here to enlarge
    idk i really want this trans i almost wanna keep it for the price. the cheapest 335i trans i can find is 1200 lol

but $#@! idk i gotta call the dealer tomorrow if the parts department can tell me the difference.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

idk i really want this trans i almost wanna keep it for the price. the cheapest 335i trans i can find is 1200 lol

but $#@! idk i gotta call the dealer tomorrow if the parts department can tell me the difference.
    yeah, mine was $1200 shipped, nfi now if it was 135i or 335i, will check in a few hrs

would be interested to hear what the parts dept says, if they even have any clue haha
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

yeah, mine was $1200 shipped, nfi now if it was 135i or 335i, will check in a few hrs

would be interested to hear what the parts dept says, if they even have any clue haha
    probably not.. damn. idk if i should go through with it. or not. but if I'm rejected the refund I'm kinda stuck lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Lol. Could be splines on driveshaft, gearing, or engine tilt angle. Just to throw other stuff out there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I personally can't see BMW making anything internally or the big parts any different than the 335i considering the much smaller production numbers the 1 series had compared to the 3. I know the 1 is a lot tighter so I would imagine if anything it would be something on the external side. If the trans comes with the shifter piece I know that is different on the 1. I have mine out if you need any measurements or anything.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Lol. Could be splines on driveshaft, gearing, or engine tilt angle. Just to throw other stuff out there.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    I personally can't see BMW making anything internally or the big parts any different than the 335i considering the much smaller production numbers the 1 series had compared to the 3. I know the 1 is a lot tighter so I would imagine if anything it would be something on the external side. If the trans comes with the shifter piece I know that is different on the 1. I have mine out if you need any measurements or anything.
    yeah, i could imagine minor revisions to synchros or something more than anything.. strange having two different transmissions for the same engine though, on concurrent models...

Clutches+flywheels are the same as per spec's website/model numbers

gearing is the same, driveshaft output i can't tell from realoem or anything - would be a very odd thing to change specifically haha... engine mounts are the same.. :/

forgot to check what i've got, 8 hours til i can do that now haha
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

i know the axles are the same as i have a 135i axle in my 335i
    Click here to enlarge