Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Tire construction rubber compounds?

I understand the difference between Summer, Winter & All Season compounds in the tread. This question is about the rubber under the tread that makes up the carcass. Back in the day for production car racing with stock tire requirements we would shave the tread down on brand new tires to near the sanctioning events minimum allowable depth to get rid of the squirmies.

Now finally the question. Recently my logs are showing slippage on all the shifts up trough 3/4. When I checked the tires this week (265X30X19” Conti DW) they were warn in the same pattern as all my other BMW rear tires. Inner edge was down past the wear bars & the outer edge had good tread with a very nice even slope across the tire face. Both tires had even ware to each other.

So since they did not slip with tread but are slipping now that they are partially slick is the carcass rubber that much different than the tread rubber. Intuitively as a tire loses its tread it starts to look more like a drag slick & has a bigger contact patch, so why did they lose traction instead of gaining it?

Ordered 4 new tires from Tire Rack. Fronts were OK but one had a plug to close to the outer edge for peace of mind. Took some air each week.
    Kevin
    2011 335is 7DCT/JB4 G5-ISO BMS Flash
    2013 135is 6MT - JB4 G5-ISO
    FF Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Moved to wheels/tires.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I noticed the same thing you did. I'm not 100% sure but I think that perhaps the heat cycling that occurs during normal driving hardens the rubber. It def feels different than a slick, and with more surface area one would think that traction wouldn't be, well, worse unless something else changed. In for a better answer from someone knowledgeable, lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A friend of mine works at the US Yokohama plant as a tire builder. I'll ask him about the construction and see what he says/knows.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks. BTW I have run Yoko's with good results in the past ES-100 & S-Drive. Current brand in Conti DW.
    Kevin
    2011 335is 7DCT/JB4 G5-ISO BMS Flash
    2013 135is 6MT - JB4 G5-ISO
    FF Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sounds like you need to decrease the negative camber a bit in the rear if your tires always wear down on the insides first. Tire wear is supposed to be even across the entire width.

I would be willing to bet the tire carcass is made out of a completely different rubber formulation than the tread.
    Eppur si muove.