Close

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    Ever drive an older Camaro or something with a shift kit. Every time it would shift it would squeal the tires. Exciting when your flooring it $#@!ty when your just cruising around minding your own business.

ooo ye i got ya now
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A solid 3 speed trans would defiantly help your et in the 1/4 mile. If you could figure out a way to get a 4l80 bolted up to a bmw you wouldn't have to worry about blowin it up ever again. Other than the obvious bolt configuration and starter concerns it should be fairly easy to configure. They are electronic transmissions and have good aftermarket support with electronics and internal parts. Not sure how pissy the bmw computer would be without the trans inputs it wants to see though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There is a lot of TQ limiting and boost level maintenance going on in the AT, in order to keep turbos spooled across shifts, would lose all that in swapping over to MT ECU + hack AT tcu. Wonder how/if that would be handled in this swap? This is all very interesting, great leap forward if it works.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lots of turbo v8 guys run those trans without problem so i dont see the trans or controller causing a performance loss other than maybe driving the stock computer nuts. He should be able to get that all hammered out with tuning but that will remain to be seen.
    Obviously a different animal but I have a turbo 400 in my mustang behind a ford engine. Anything is possible.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge

Unless there's some sort of built in load sensor I would hope it would hook into a TPS signal, OEM or standalone so it's not trying to bark the tires on every shift.
    Oh, good point! TPS wire as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajsalida Click here to enlarge
    There is a lot of TQ limiting and boost level maintenance going on in the AT, in order to keep turbos spooled across shifts, would lose all that in swapping over to MT ECU + hack AT tcu. Wonder how/if that would be handled in this swap? This is all very interesting, great leap forward if it works.
    With a stronger trans, the tourque limiting probably won't be necessary since it will be able to take the hit. Boost should remain pretty solid on the shift since your foot will still be planted on the gas. Part throttle stuff will probably take a little dialing in of the new TCU however. You're right though, the DME won't have any more control over that stuff. It may be better that way, from a power standpoint at least.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    With a stronger trans, the tourque limiting probably won't be necessary since it will be able to take the hit. Boost should remain pretty solid on the shift since your foot will still be planted on the gas. Part throttle stuff will probably take a little dialing in of the new TCU however. You're right though, the DME won't have any more control over that stuff. It may be better that way, from a power standpoint at least.
    I think we can set the JB4 to simulate "shifts" and cut torque via timing for shifts if needed. This should be a fun project. Lots of unknowns at this point until we dive in.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I think we can set the JB4 to simulate "shifts" and cut torque via timing for shifts if needed. This should be a fun project. Lots of unknowns at this point until we dive in.
    yea and the dme isnt controlling boost on my car anyway so just power thru the shifts balls to le walls.

everything is impossible until someone does it. My timeline to do this is probably starting in january. Does that mean you will do it before me? or will i still have the lead on this one haha

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am still wondering why the DME needs to know clutch position... You can shift without using the clutch and the DME is fine. What is the issue? Does the car need to pull timing for a second or something?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    I am still wondering why the DME needs to know clutch position... You can shift without using the clutch and the DME is fine. What is the issue? Does the car need to pull timing for a second or something?
    Does the clutch need to be depressed to start the car? every manual car i have driven is this way.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    That can be coded out.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DFM Click here to enlarge
    Does the clutch need to be depressed to start the car? every manual car i have driven is this way.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DFM Click here to enlarge
    That is literally the least of any worry.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The DME uses it for the MT shift routine at the very least. I honestly have no idea what would happen if we ran the clutch switch through a JB4 signal and simply blocked it during shifts. I guess it would be an interesting test. I'll try it when the E92 gets back.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    The DME uses it for the MT shift routine at the very least. I honestly have no idea what would happen if we ran the clutch switch through a JB4 signal and simply blocked it during shifts. I guess it would be an interesting test. I'll try it when the E92 gets back.
    Interesting. What does the MT shift routine do?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    good question. bump

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
    good question. bump
    I have been talking to level 120 and they have a 1000whp tranny also...probably what I am going with. Dan, do you have upgraded axles?
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Terry@BMS, ever get to investigate this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chirp Click here to enlarge
    That can be coded out.
    Does anyone have details on how this can be achieved? This would make testing a motor without the transmission in place easier.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by robc1976 Click here to enlarge
    I have been talking to level 120 and they have a 1000whp tranny also...probably what I am going with. Dan, do you have upgraded axles?
    i fb pm you m9

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678