Close

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

I think the 4L80E may be relatively easy from a software standpoint. Just set the DME to manual and use an independent tranny controller. Just need the custom driveshaft, bell housing adapter plate, modified flexplate, custom trans mount, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Didn't Sikh have problems with level 10 and he had a ST?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trickcruiser Click here to enlarge
    I would love to see you put the Level 10 option through the ringer! If this were to work with your setup, ALL OF US would finally have a solid solution! Click here to enlarge
    Yea I'm thinking about giving it a shot. Level 10 said they would stand by it knowing my hp and torque levels ..
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onesuperboi Click here to enlarge
    Didn't Sikh have problems with level 10 and he had a ST?
    He did 517trans which may be the same? But 517 trans won't do it. Level 10 said they would and they would stand behind it. Idk lol. @Sikh335

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Level 10 sounds confident. I say go for it Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Manual valve body would be a mistake, just start looking in the LS threads and you will get all the info you need on the tranny and controllers, plenty of them out there I had all the parts including a stage 5 tranny for my LS project and ended up selling it all, with a controller, you can pick all your shift points, and a lot more then if you had a manual VB. Expect a lot of tunnel to be cut out of your car to make it fit, but once the first one is done its going to be the end all be all set up basically. You will end up with a 9 second car if you sort the suspension etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
    Yea I'm thinking about giving it a shot. Level 10 said they would stand by it knowing my hp and torque levels ..
    In writing from someone with authority (or at least apparent authority) to make such a commitment?
    335i Coupe, JB4 (G4, map 5) DCI and 40% E85 blend: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe: 12.173 @ 109.490 MPH

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 Click here to enlarge
    In writing from someone with authority (or at least apparent authority) to make such a commitment?
    This was a phone call yesterday talking to Pat who I think is running the show there? I'll talk to him more soon to getter more details

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

This was a phone call yesterday talking to Pat who I think is running the show there? I'll talk to him more soon to getter more details
    Honestly if you are really serious about making big power and putting down good numbers with an AT N54, just go with the guys who want to do the 4L. Level 10 and 517 seem to build the same trannies, have been making the same claims. One of the vishu guys making close to 700 WHP had his die in like 7 pulls. No matter what they claim unless they are doing something about the software as well as the hardware its not going to last.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Honestly if you are really serious about making big power and putting down good numbers with an AT N54, just go with the guys who want to do the 4L. Level 10 and 517 seem to build the same trannies, have been making the same claims. One of the vishu guys making close to 700 WHP had his die in like 7 pulls. No matter what they claim unless they are doing something about the software as well as the hardware its not going to last.
    yes that is the concern. Software..

on the 4l80e side what if I get 6-8G in and it's installed and fit in but the car won't play due to the ecu?
    Theoretically it's as easy as coding it to manual right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

yes that is the concern. Software..

on the 4l80e side what if I get 6-8G in and it's installed and fit in but the car won't play due to the ecu?
    Theoretically it's as easy as coding it to manual right?
    Yes just code the DME to a manual, I have read it has been done successfully and use a stand alone Tranny controller such a Holly dominator etc. There is not way its going to play with the ecu, you will be breaking new ground so you will have to adapt as you progress with it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Manual valve body, code the DME for a manual car, flash the map for a 7-7.2k rpm redline and do your own shifts..maybe wire the shift module to your paddles Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge
    Manual valve body, code the DME for a manual car, flash the map for a 7-7.2k rpm redline and do your own shifts..maybe wire the shift module to your paddles Click here to enlarge
    What map do I flash for the redline? The Cobb backend flash? @Terry@BMS ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Why try to reinvent the wheel? These trannies are used in EVERYTHING. There make very inexpensive tranny controllers that give you TOTAL control of that tranny. Go over to LS1tech.com and start reading, you will find so much info you will be overwhelmed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

@alex@ABRhouston may also be able to shed some light on this, he was working on something with the 4l80e
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

What map do I flash for the redline? The Cobb backend flash? @Terry@BMS ?
    I'm not sure how the DME will react with the trans module disconnected. It may work just fine. We may need to start spoofing signals with the JB4. Or you may need to leave the module plugged in but just sitting there. No one has ever tried it.

On the 4L80E the stand alone computers work well. I ran one on a 4L60E maybe 15 years ago without issue.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

The DME wants to drop timing out (requested load) between shifts which in turn cuts fuel. To preserve that behavior the DME will most likely need to be told this is still happening some way I think. It might work fine without that too though. Never know until you try I guess
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

The trans sends a CAN command to the DME letting it know its shifting to cut torque. Without that module there it may work out just fine. It would be similar to an AT->MT swap.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

With a 6MT there is still "knowledge" by the DME what gear you're in and that the clutch is down so if the intention is to preserve the shifting logic/behaviour then feeding those signals is might be a good idea.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

With a 6MT there is still "knowledge" by the DME what gear you're in and that the clutch is down so if the intention is to preserve the shifting logic/behaviour then feeding those signals is might be a good idea.
    There actually isn't. The DME "guesses" the gear based on RPM and vehicle speed. But, there is knowledge of the clutch pedal which is read by the DME directly. As far as I know the MT trans does not have a CAN module to communicate back to the DME with.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    There actually isn't. The DME "guesses" the gear based on RPM and vehicle speed. But, there is knowledge of the clutch pedal which is read by the DME directly. As far as I know the MT trans does not have a CAN module to communicate back to the DME with.
    Note that I said "knowledge" by the DME. Yes, it is guessing it based on RPM vs. vehicle speed.

By the way, have you ever tried disconnecting the clutch signal from the DME to see what happens? I wonder how the DME would behave if that were to fail...most likely shift smoothness would be affected but I wonder if there might be a performance advantage with timing and fuel not shutting off in between and how it'd affect NLS (good, bad)..
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 11-06-2013 at 01:06 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

The clutch signal is required on MTs for the DME to operate properly. I think with it disconnected the car won't start as well.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    The clutch signal is required on MTs for the DME to operate properly. I think with it disconnected the car won't start as well.
    Yea. If that's the case then anyone retrofitting a 6MT will (other than coding the DME to a manual transmission car) need to wire in a shift (clutch emulation) switch of some kind
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Ok well between my YOLO attitude and @Terry@BMS and @dzenno@PTF knowledge/tuning sounds like I should say f it and do the 4l80e and we will make it work.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Ok well between my YOLO attitude and @Terry@BMS and @dzenno@PTF knowledge/tuning sounds like I should say f it and do the 4l80e and we will make it work.
    I think that is the right decision. It might be a difficult road, but once everything is working the car will be an absolute beast. DO IT!
    Eppur si muove.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast