Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quick engine swap question 2008 AT 135i engine into 2008 MT 335i?

Hi guys,

need a new motor after my serpentine belt decided it wanted to live inside the engine so I'm looking for a new one.

I've sourced a 2008 engine from a 135i but it is an auto and my car is a manual. Will it be a simple case of removing the AT flywheel and fitting my Spec SMF? My car is also a 2008 and I'm reusing my RB Turbos. Since my car is RHD, the 135i and 335i share the same turbos anyway.

TIA

Idnan
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idnan Click here to enlarge
    Hi guys,

need a new motor after my serpentine belt decided it wanted to live inside the engine so I'm looking for a new one.

I've sourced a 2008 engine from a 135i but it is an auto and my car is a manual. Will it be a simple case of removing the AT flywheel and fitting my Spec SMF? My car is also a 2008 and I'm reusing my RB Turbos. Since my car is RHD, the 135i and 335i share the same turbos anyway.

TIA

Idnan
    Yep. Don't forget to recode the injectors.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Yep. Don't forget to recode the injectors.
    Awesome, got INPA working now so should be pretty easy with the DIY on here. Hoping I can make a few bucks back selling all the spare bits as it is a complete engine.
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Serpentine belt killed the motor?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Serpentine belt killed the motor?
    Firstly the alternator pulley sheared off and then the belt came off and shredded outer few ribs. In the short space of time (less than a hundred metres) that it took me to pull my car up onto my drive, part of the belt got sucked in to the front crank seal pushing the inner part of the seal in as well. One of the plastic orange timing chain guides got damaged and pieces of plastic dropped into the sump along with bits of the crank seal.

I changed the belt and there was no visible oil leak at that time. I had only changed the oil filter housing gasket a few weeks before so there was a bit of oil residue on the front of the block. I ran the car for about a day to work and back and noticed the leak and found out what had happened.

The motor has 90k on it and I managed to get one on 40k miles with turbos and all other bits for 875GBP so I think that will be an easier option than rebuilding mine.

Sh!t happens I guess.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

You're about the 4th person i've heard that happen to @idnan. Sorry about your luck, but on the bright side hopefully you can get some decent money for the old motor. I think more and more people will be looking for a spare engine to sent off to be rebuilt to reduce downtime. It's a no brainer for anyone looking to push the envelope on power.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

I would be interested in your motor if you weren't in the UK...lol How is the aftermarket scene on these over there anyway? Isn't it a more common car there?
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idnan Click here to enlarge
    Firstly the alternator pulley sheared off and then the belt came off and shredded outer few ribs. In the short space of time (less than a hundred metres) that it took me to pull my car up onto my drive, part of the belt got sucked in to the front crank seal pushing the inner part of the seal in as well. One of the plastic orange timing chain guides got damaged and pieces of plastic dropped into the sump along with bits of the crank seal.

I changed the belt and there was no visible oil leak at that time. I had only changed the oil filter housing gasket a few weeks before so there was a bit of oil residue on the front of the block. I ran the car for about a day to work and back and noticed the leak and found out what had happened.

The motor has 90k on it and I managed to get one on 40k miles with turbos and all other bits for 875GBP so I think that will be an easier option than rebuilding mine.

Sh!t happens I guess.
    Things happens. Guess this is a lesson that if something goes wrong turn the motor off immediately as soon as it is safe to do so.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

yup, this has happened quite a few times now. serpentine belt replacement should be near the top of many N54 owners maintenance lists.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    I would be interested in your motor if you weren't in the UK...lol How is the aftermarket scene on these over there anyway? Isn't it a more common car there?
    Much less common, everyone here drives diesels and only the ethusiasts are interested in tuning n54s/s65s. Once I've sorted everything out I'll have a check how much shipping is. I doubt anyone in the UK would want it anyway so I'll look into it.
    Last edited by idnan; 10-31-2013 at 11:23 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    You're about the 4th person i've heard that happen to @idnan. Sorry about your luck, but on the bright side hopefully you can get some decent money for the old motor. I think more and more people will be looking for a spare engine to sent off to be rebuilt to reduce downtime. It's a no brainer for anyone looking to push the envelope on power.
    Thanks bud Click here to enlarge

Same hope with the turbos too, even if they are scrap I'm sure they will be worth something to someone looking to do Vargas/RBs without the downtime or payment being tied up with cores

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

wow 875GBP? that's $1500 for most of an N54.. mine was like $4200 Click here to enlarge

i'm amazed at how cheap car parts over there are, it's half the price buying local to just... buy from the UK and ship overseas, it's insane.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Work has started:

New engine

Click here to enlarge

Old fecked engine

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Old trans+engine

Click here to enlarge

I'm at the stage where I'm swapping my RBs, wiring, HPFP, and injectors over to the new block. Proud to say that I removed it all by myself without any help!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Damn you weren’t kidding when you said complete new motor. Great price too. GL with the swap

How's the head on your old motor? You should send it off to VAC for some work while the new bottom end goes in Click here to enlarge
    E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Motiv Port Fuel/BMR 3.5" Exhaust/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/AA Strutbrace/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge