Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tifosielia Click here to enlarge
    Well maybe I shouldn't have been as cryptic in my first post. When I said Fruity supercomputer that was a reference to the fact that he works at Apple. He infers that he used the Apple supercomputer in Cupertino. *If* he had access to said computer it would make very short work of 128bit encryption. Any of us could break 128bit encryption with a botnet, its all about distributed computing now that everyone had broadband.
    He didn't brute force it. The only person I know of using that approach to BMW encryption is Dinan.

He's using the same thing as everyone else. Same thing the BB flash did. If I didn't brute force it and it happened in what, a few weeks, you think he did?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    Really sometimes it gets tiring ...
    We are 2013, car came out 2006. There is no tcu flashing solution considering both cobb and giac normally offfers this (audi/vw).
    conclusion?
    Conclusion is prostate exams are more fun than modifying BMW electronics.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I just wanted also to mention how difficult it would be to even brute force 128-bit encrypted data. You are right in that you can use botnets to crack keys, but that's usually when you have a wordlist/rainbow dictionary - not when brute forcing an attack. When you see the numbers, even for 128-bit - it's ming boggling. Just to put this into perspective - 128-bits can have 3.4028237e+38 combinations. That's 3.4028237 * 10(with 31 trailing zeros) - in order to crack that (using data from Pentium 4 @ 3.2 GHz days, I don't feel like calculating this) - it would take ALL THE COMPUTERS (at that time) IN THE WORLD 1,440,000,000 years!!! That's ONLY looking at 25% of the keyspace, not 100%. Think about how insane that is. Of course modern computers/clusters/GPUs make processing things MUCH faster - it's definitely not on the scale of magnitude needed to cut it down a billion times to make this cost effective.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

The DME code was cracked by the original creator of openflash. (Before Shiv got involved, before it was openflash) It was hinted that he may of used the fruity supercomputer from his workplace. Click here to enlarge Cobb also managed to crack it as well, so this can't be an unattainable goal.

It's obvious open flash is a cobb ripoff... Cobb did all the hard work
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    So what this boils down to really is we need to call up the NSA and tell them BMW hid some Al Qaeda falafel recipe's in the TCU for the 335 AT. It'll be cracked by the time I'm done typing this sentence.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    So what this boils down to really is we need to call up the NSA and tell them BMW hid some Al Qaeda falafel recipe's in the TCU for the 335 AT. It'll be cracked by the time I'm done typing this sentence.
    lol - it's funny you mention this... I was just looking at this: Click here to enlarge

I am sure they have some specialty stuff, no doubt. The thing about the NSA cracking encryption (my understanding) - it's a bit different. Instead of brute force, supposedly they used a "vulnerability" in the way random numbers are generated. It has something to do with an ellipses, and two points on that ellipse. My understanding is that when the algorithm was given to the NIST (and other math/science agencies) for vulnerability testing, it was never understood how the two points on the ellipse were determined.

It goes on that knowing how these two points were determined would allow you to "break" the algorithm. There are articles about this if you are interested - a lot of people think that Google/MSFT/Apple just gave away their keys, or allowed a back door - but based on my understanding, it's lower level than even that. It's crazy - google "elliptic curve cryptography" + "nsa" or "sp 800-90a dual elliptic curve" to read about it... It's quite interesting if it is indeed how this all happened - it means that the scientists/mathematicians/etc. all were "secretly" in with someone that I don't want thinking I am a bad person. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    It goes on that knowing how these two points were determined would allow you to "break" the algorithm. There are articles about this if you are interested - a lot of people think that Google/MSFT/Apple just gave away their keys, or allowed a back door - but based on my understanding, it's lower level than even that. It's crazy - google "elliptic curve cryptography" + "nsa" or "sp 800-90a dual elliptic curve" to read about it... It's quite interesting if it is indeed how this all happened - it means that the scientists/mathematicians/etc. all were "secretly" in with someone that I don't want thinking I am a bad person.
    I doubt I'll even understand any of this. I'm just at the point where I understand the government can get into anything and there is nothing we can do about it. That is why offline networks make more and more sense for sensitive data. Anything connected to the internet they will get to and then say, 'oh but the terrorists.'

They just are on another level and it's scary really. People should google how much energy the NSA uses... wtf do they have in there?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I doubt I'll even understand any of this. I'm just at the point where I understand the government can get into anything and there is nothing we can do about it. That is why offline networks make more and more sense for sensitive data. Anything connected to the internet they will get to and then say, 'oh but the terrorists.'

They just are on another level and it's scary really. People should google how much energy the NSA uses... wtf do they have in there?
    Yep, no doubt about it - I am sure they can get in anything they please... It is scary - that's a lot of power for people to have, you could basically alter anyone's life you wanted almost without them knowing.

I didn't know about the power consumption - this is the new thing they are/were building recently, right? The datacenter?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    Yep, no doubt about it - I am sure they can get in anything they please... It is scary - that's a lot of power for people to have, you could basically alter anyone's life you wanted almost without them knowing.

I didn't know about the power consumption - this is the new thing they are/were building recently, right? The datacenter?
    Before the new one:

Due to massive amounts of data processing, NSA is the largest electricity consumer in Maryland

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Before the new one:

Due to massive amounts of data processing, NSA is the largest electricity consumer in Maryland
    Jesus... That's absolutely insane.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just for the record DES is actually weak compared to current 128 bit and higher encryption. The CCA (circuit card assembly) on the picture is done with FPGAs as GPUs and broadband were not as advanced as they are now and they needed to get their massive parallel computing power somewhere.
    However, for an encryption to be strong the entropy (function of complexity and length) in the key must be high. The main reason for people being able to easily crack say 128 bit encryption is low entropy which is due to low randomness associated with human language. For instance, the best human alphanumeric passwords with characters have only about 5.5 bit entropy. The most common human language passwords are only 7 to 8 alpha characters + 1 numerical resulting in average length of 29 to 30 bit. Obviously putting 29 bit password in 128 or 256 encryption vault is problematic... In any case, a highly random 80 bit encryption is estimated to take a botnet about 1.9 x 10^6 years. This is usually the reason why people are trying to figure out the random number generators rather than brute force their way. Oh and BTW, this is exactly how the NSA did it - they basically "helped" develop the random number generators thus for them the generated keys are not truly random. That makes it way easier to deal with it. They need the huge processing power simply because the net traffic is huge...

And I think we are going off topic here Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by geshsoft Click here to enlarge
    Just for the record DES is actually weak compared to current 128 bit and higher encryption. The CCA (circuit card assembly) on the picture is done with FPGAs as GPUs and broadband were not as advanced as they are now and they needed to get their massive parallel computing power somewhere.
    However, for an encryption to be strong the entropy (function of complexity and length) in the key must be high. The main reason for people being able to easily crack say 128 bit encryption is low entropy which is due to low randomness associated with human language. For instance, the best human alphanumeric passwords with characters have only about 5.5 bit entropy. The most common human language passwords are only 7 to 8 alpha characters + 1 numerical resulting in average length of 29 to 30 bit. Obviously putting 29 bit password in 128 or 256 encryption vault is problematic... In any case, a highly random 80 bit encryption is estimated to take a botnet about 1.9 x 10^6 years. This is usually the reason why people are trying to figure out the random number generators rather than brute force their way. Oh and BTW, this is exactly how the NSA did it - they basically "helped" develop the random number generators thus for them the generated keys are not truly random. That makes it way easier to deal with it. They need the huge processing power simply because the net traffic is huge...

And I think we are going off topic here Click here to enlarge
    We can get off topic all we want. We're making more progress figuring out what the NSA is doing than anyone is with the automatic transmission for this platform.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    We can get off topic all we want. We're making more progress figuring out what the NSA is doing than anyone is with the automatic transmission for this platform.
    LOL

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

DCT software is different, right? We have someone who can help there, right?
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    DCT software is different, right? We have someone who can help there, right?
    Yep it's way different and yes someone can help there. I'm looking forward to seeing how far I can push them reprogramming it.

8700 rpm automatic shifts? That sounds lovely.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Yep it's way different and yes someone can help there. I'm looking forward to seeing how far I can push them reprogramming it.

8700 rpm automatic shifts? That sounds lovely.
    I know it may have been stated a while back but what was your engine built to rev to? (OT question I know, just curious)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DFM Click here to enlarge
    I know it may have been stated a while back but what was your engine built to rev to? (OT question I know, just curious)
    I can rev it out to around 9000 if necessary.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by continue5 Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge lol
    Freaking. Perfect.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

The DME code was cracked by the original creator of openflash. (Before Shiv got involved, before it was openflash) It was hinted that he may of used the fruity supercomputer from his workplace. Click here to enlarge Cobb also managed to crack it as well, so this can't be an unattainable goal.
    This is what they told you. I personally know the algorithm and how it works. Its an exploit, nothing was cracked.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Thats actually a really good idea. Tell them however, that only you know where its located.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

So are they able to write custom firmware to the DCT box? What is the codename for that gearbox? Any technical documents I can look at?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Thats actually a really good idea. Tell them however, that only you know where its located.
    This board is probably their favorite reading material anyway so I'm sure they're on it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    So are they able to write custom firmware to the DCT box? What is the codename for that gearbox? Any technical documents I can look at?
    Getrag 7DCI600

And yes they can write to it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Getrag 7DCI600

And yes they can write to it

What else do you know? Who makes the TCU? Pics of the TCU?
    Click here to enlarge

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast