Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

VRSF 7" Intercooler v2 installed

I received my FMIC last week and had a chance to install it today. The welds on the intercooler appeared to be solid. The install went as smooth as all my other installs which were horrible.

The first surprise was removing the old FMIC and getting a face full of this: Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

I was shocked at the amount of crap that wedged itself in any little place on the car:

Click here to enlarge

After hacking away at the shroud with a dremel I decided it was taking to long and used a hand saw to finish it up in about 1 minute Click here to enlarge
    It slid right on up and bolted in after that with out issues.

Click here to enlarge

I buttoned everything back up and took the car for a spin. I hit it WOT in 3rd and BAM! Blew the stock charge pipe apart Click here to enlarge

Got back home and put everything back together. It looks like I needed to reposition a hose clamp. I put the clamp on tighter and what I thought was the correct position. Then I went to the track. Launched and hit 4-5k in 2nd and pop goes the charge pipe. Get back home and try again to reposition clamp and tighten it down. Get the car up to 6k in 2nd and pop goes the charge pipe. Back home. Pull charge pipe off wipe everything down again to get rid of any remaining oil. Back on with t-clamp even tighter and a worm clamp on top of that. Go out for middle spirited driving nothing WOT, but aggressive enough repeatedly that I think I should see movement. Get back home and everything is the same exact place. Hopefully this solved the problem. I didn't want to try WOT because I sick of dealing with it today.

As far as product performance of the actual FMIC by VRSF. It performed flawlessly. The moderate back to back pulls would have had my stock FMIC heat soaked and didn't even notice any heatsoak with the VRSF. The car feels like it is running better. For the price and quality you can't beat it. There were no instructions, but it only goes in one way.

I did notice a lot of oil in both the hot and cold side of the stock FMIC pipes and in the intercooler. I can only imagine of clogged up the stock FMIC.
    Tomorrow pending rain I will get a few logs to compare IAT from previous logs.

Next up: ER Charge pipe with tial BOV; VRSF Exhaust; ER competition oil cooler setup
    07 335i FFTEC 600 Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

add a BMS catch can to that list to keep that oil out of your pipes Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Good stuff. The 7" VRSF intercooler is on my short list of mods to get next.

How does it look with the bumper on?
    335i Coupe, JB4 (G4, map 5) DCI and 40% E85 blend: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe: 12.173 @ 109.490 MPH

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I installed a BMS catch can about a month ago so hopefully it was just old oil.

I will upload a picture of it here in a minute. After I got done putting everything back on I was running late and my car was dirty so didn't get the final shot in till this morning. Taking the bumper on and off was probably the most time consuming part of the install.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Why didn't you just go in from underneath instead of removing the entire front bumper? I haven't done the install yet but I do plan on buying this intercooler and from underneath seems to be much less time consuming.
    Congrats.
    2007 Jet Black E90 335xi "The Mistress" / PTF-Cobb / E50 / FuelitS2 / 5" Stepped FMIC / Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe / Alpina Flash / Muffler Delete w/ 4in Black Tips / DCI / 19x8.5 Satin Black Squared Enkei Raijins / 245/35/r19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position / 20mm Rear Spacers / 2 10" Rockford Fosgate's Added to Logic7 (15 total speakers!)
    [IMG]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by I6+TT=FTW Click here to enlarge
    Why didn't you just go in from underneath instead of removing the entire front bumper? I haven't done the install yet but I do plan on buying this intercooler and from underneath seems to be much less time consuming.
    Congrats.
    Only the 5" can be installed like that.. The 7" requires trimming the shroud and to do a good job its better to have the bumper off. I have the 5" it goes in much easier, but looking back I should have just bought the 7".
    08 328i, totaled by women driver
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mikolo-n54 Click here to enlarge
    Only the 5" can be installed like that.. The 7" requires trimming the shroud and to do a good job its better to have the bumper off. I have the 5" it goes in much easier, but looking back I should have just bought the 7".
    I did mine without removing the bumper and have no regrets. Its easy to do with it on so it removing it just seems like needless extra work to me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JC335xi Click here to enlarge
    I did mine without removing the bumper and have no regrets. Its easy to do with it on so it removing it just seems like needless extra work to me.
    Didn't know. I stand corrected.
    08 328i, totaled by women driver
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

@JC335xi Did you install the 7" without removing the bumper? I could see how it would have been possible with the help of someone to pull the bumper out slightly after trimming to let it slide into place. I did it by myself on those little ramps. I have jack stands but they are for my expedition and its a little precarious to jack the 335i high enough to fit those stands. I wouldn't want to try to cut the shroud while underneath it. It may have been extra work removing bumper but it made everything else easier. The only hard part is getting to the 2 bolts behind the wheel well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Using jack stands I installed the 7" intercooler from VRSF without removing the bumper as well. I used a combination of a diegrinder with cutoff wheel and a hacksaw blade.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Cool. I thought about leaving the bumper on at 1st, but actually looking straight on at what I needed to cut off was very helpful to me. At least now I know how to remove the bumper for when I get my ER oil cooler setup lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by wtfmarine Click here to enlarge
    Cool. I thought about leaving the bumper on at 1st, but actually looking straight on at what I needed to cut off was very helpful to me. At least now I know how to remove the bumper for when I get my ER oil cooler setup lol.
    For sure, man. How every you want to do it is up to you. I'm just happy when I see people working on their own cars.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ill be mounting mine this weekend. Ill try to take some pics .

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    For sure, man. How every you want to do it is up to you. I'm just happy when I see people working on their own cars.
    I want to know my car inside in and out. If you let someone else do all the work then it becomes some else's race car. The only thing I have not personally done to my car was install the downpipes. The v-bands were rusted on and I didn't have the proper tools to deal with it so I broke down and took it to a shop. They had to cut them off.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Using jack stands I installed the 7" intercooler from VRSF without removing the bumper as well. I used a combination of a diegrinder with cutoff wheel and a hacksaw blade.
    I started trimming very gingerly with a 3in cutoff wheel but after about the third failed test fit I got pissed and just cut the shroud out entirely the width of the intercooler with the trusty sawsall. lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

looks good OP...I also have the 7" VRSF i didn't take of the bumper either did the whole install within two hours
    E50 PTF

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

This is exactly how I installed mine also on ramps and alone. I measured the core and crayon'd where I needed to trim, test fit maybe two times before it was a perfect fit. Would have been easier with the bumper off sure but I was lazy and hate all those damn screws.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    This is exactly how I installed mine also on ramps and alone. I measured the core and crayon'd where I needed to trim, test fit maybe two times before it was a perfect fit. Would have been easier with the bumper off sure but I was lazy and hate all those damn screws.
    Exactly.
    Eppur si muove.