Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Official N54 AT--> MT trans swap Thread.

I might begin on this project on my car... I'm not getting price i want for my car.. and I'm not finding a Cheap MT 135i... one i had my eye on just sold. so back to square one.

Main reason I'm doing the swap is because, i sold my low milage Trans with level 10 bits to a customer with a pre 03/07 trans and we swapped he paid me for trans and labor... and i put his trans in my car. trans is good but will not hold up i believe if i decide to install VTT3s on it... lol I've had my fair share of blown autos. Click here to enlarge

I think ill be keeping the 3.46 diff with driveshaft. and should fit the manual trans if not ill modify it NBD.

my concern goes with coding and wiring in completing the circuits in the ECU box...

im gonna be installing a clutch on a car next week.. should give me a good idea of what needs to be done ill be comparing wiring and taking notes.

Basic Parts list I've came up with: (for 335i)

Manual Trans with Shifter assembly. or just buy a short shifter kit and get it over with.

Gas Pedal assy. #35426860785
    Brake/Clutch pedal assay just ordering from ebay from salvage car.
    Master Cyl W clutch switch
    Hose going to brake reservoir to master CYl. 21521163714
    Grommet for that hose 21526863043
    Clutch Slave Cyl MT should come with one.
    And lines for brake fluid from master CYL to slave Cyl and CDV Delete this would be a good time.

oh and yeah Spec stage 3+ clutch and steel Flywheel lol

Mechanically I can and will get it done. as far as wiring and coding its kinda fuzzy for me.

The only way i can see this work is that if i get a complete engine harness and sub connectors and install to the ECU.

unless.
    I can remove the cable that goes into the ECU from the Trans Easy. in fact this is what the picture looks

Click here to enlarge

I also do have a Vert.. idk if that complicates things.

i still haven't studied the ECU wiring yet. Anyone got Access to BMW Tis or any sort of wiring diagram that we can compare differences between MT and AT cars?

as far as coding WIN KFP? LOL any coding need to be changed as far as ABS modules ECT

I know the clutch switch has gotta go directly to DME.. Grey sub connector pin #18 from a 2step/NLS install.. but that all the info i got. also plays a role in starting the car.. depress the clutch pedal.. ECT haha gotta get that coded...

Lets just discuss this. could not find enough info on this as far as the E9x platform.
    those of you that say just sell the car.. and get a MT not gonna happen. not gonna get what i want for it... and the rate my car deprecated since i bought it want me to shoot my self in the face. $#@!ty investment.. and if I'm gonna sell the car. might as well buy one series. Lets stay technical! and any single turbo guys... this would be ideal fix for your auto car Click here to enlarge

about to pull trigger on a Trans so... comment away lol
    Last edited by sammy_0559; 10-27-2013 at 11:25 PM.
    Click here to enlarge
    Instagram: Sammy0559
    VTX3's Click here to enlarge
    Got one more tow with AAA lets make it count Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good call. I'm doing this too soon. I briefly talked to a guy on Facebook over seas that did a successful at - mt swap. He ended up having to just swap the ecu.

Ill lll try to get more details from him.
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As far as coding, I am under the assumption it's just a toggle that gets selected when loading the software. For the wiring harness, maybe you can just leave the auto sub-harness in place and run the MT sub-harness next to it to make things easier (just unplug the auto harness of course). Luckily, it doesn't look like you have to change the entire DME harness since the transmission harness is separate.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    As far as coding, I am under the assumption it's just a toggle that gets selected when loading the software. For the wiring harness, maybe you can just leave the auto sub-harness in place and run the MT sub-harness next to it to make things easier (just unplug the auto harness of course). Luckily, it doesn't look like you have to change the entire DME harness since the transmission harness is separate.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
    Good call. I'm doing this too soon. I briefly talked to a guy on Facebook over seas that did a successful at - mt swap. He ended up having to just swap the ecu.

Fack thats gonna get Expensive. ECU should remain the same.. however DME, Key/keyholder, CAS should be all you need for it from a MT if shet hits the fan. i don't feel like spending $1200 ecu from dealer id rather burn 3 autos...

I believe one forum member did it on his 535XI and MNC performance did the work after some digging. i want to give them a call when i get a chance... but hopefully they are helpful and not demand me shipping the car over for swap haha.

Also. coding we can get handled hopefully just hardware for smooth transition is gonna be fun Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This seems like a dumb idea to me. With all the cost and effort why not just go with a GM transmission or something you know has a huge cheap aftermarket and can take the torque? Switching to the MT just means you're entering another closed market with lack of upgrade (clutch) options. I'd be surprised if it cost you MORE to get a steel bell housing and domestic trans in than it would to purchase the transmission, all the swap parts, and a new flywheel+clutch for the BMW trans.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    This seems like a dumb idea to me. With all the cost and effort why not just go with a GM transmission or something you know has a huge cheap aftermarket and can take the torque? Switching to the MT just means you're entering another closed market with lack of upgrade (clutch) options. I'd be surprised if it cost you MORE to get a steel bell housing and domestic trans in than it would to purchase the transmission, all the swap parts, and a new flywheel+clutch for the BMW trans.
    I haven't ruled out trying a Gm or ford tranny. The problem is getting one that can fit and then controlling it and not having our ecu freak out
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As far as labor. i do my own. Its fun. i enjoy even second of it along with my car being up on the lift 24/7. Should not cost me more than 2k if that.. for the swap Excluding clutch.

I haven't ruled out trying a Gm or ford tranny. The problem is getting one that can fit and then controlling it and not having our ecu freak out

+1 on that. however. being a vert. i don't really want to go Full racecar lol if someone can figure out a auto swap then yay! i have 2 blown autos sitting at the shop i got the bell housings at my disposal... i can use them towards and Different auto trans.. but I'm really leaning towards a MT throw a clutch in it and call it a day. + track/back roads are always fun.... MT FTW...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would swap to DCT if anything. I want to wait and see how sticky car handles his new DCT and then i will make the swap from AT to DCT. Imagine 3200lbs Big Turbo DCT !! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Linracing Click here to enlarge
    I would swap to DCT if anything. I want to wait and see how sticky car handles his new DCT and then i will make the swap from AT to DCT. Imagine 3200lbs Big Turbo DCT !! Click here to enlarge
    Considered it.. but again coding.... idk if i need to get a 335is ECU? might not want to code onto the current ecu? lol

+ stock DCT the VTX3's would Fry it. haha SSP clutch packs?... but i remember reading and endless thread on how that was a cluster f uck.

and slavage DCT ~ 3k
    Ssp clutch-packs ~3k
    my wallet....
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is it really that tight down there? I don't think control will be a big deal, especially if you go for something older. Are there autos from an M5 or something that could work instead? I know the old M5 uses the same manual transmission as the 335i...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is it really that tight down there? I don't think control will be a big deal, especially if you go for something older. Are there autos from an M5 or something that could work instead? I know the old M5 uses the same manual transmission as the 335i...

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthread.php?45596-Goofing-off-with-a-4L60-and-a-E92
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    back on topic please Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I thought about trying to do an mt swap as well but when I started seeing prices I just decided to bite the bullet and trade mine in for a mt 135. Going to look at one up in berkely on Wed/thursday.

One thing I didn't see on your list of parts is a radiator from a mt car. Nor sure if its absolutely neccesary or you can some how block off the coolant lines for the at. Anyways looking forward to seeing how you go about the swap!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

you shouldn't have to swap the ECU

in fact, with the whole immob setup, that's the worst option

as far as i've been told you just basically 'turn off' the automatic setup, and that's only to fix cruise control

with 'auto on' and clutch in with cruise active, apparently it just limiter bashes... coding AT>MT fixes that.

the ECU i have, and the harness i have... all from a 6AT, but it looks the same all over as the 6MT, and if it's not just some simple coding.. i'm screwed ;D
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Coding wise I am pretty sure you can use NCSEXPER to set the vehicle's VO to 6MT and if its an IS car flash the dme with an IS ROM. I would assume this would be it programming wise.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's simple!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    About coding just remove FA $205 and add Fa $207 and coding DME/CAS/Kombi/JBFE
    Not need to program you MSD. The Zub # is same.
    You can find wire scheme on link
    http://etk.bmwsar.ru/wds/e89/index.htm

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    @ncat10 is a baller. DCT swap FTMFW. Good luck @sammy_0559. And uhm... drenth sequential Click here to enlarge
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    I thought about trying to do an mt swap as well but when I started seeing prices I just decided to bite the bullet and trade mine in for a mt 135. Going to look at one up in berkely on Wed/thursday.

One thing I didn't see on your list of parts is a radiator from a mt car. Nor sure if its absolutely neccesary or you can some how block off the coolant lines for the at. Anyways looking forward to seeing how you go about the swap!
    I saw that before .. i think I'm just gonna leave it alone lol the water pipe is different coming out of the block. on the AT there is a little pipe coming out of the big water... i think i can just leave everything alone and remove the oil lines going to the heat exchanger and leave the heat exchanger in there... nothing restrictive i believe and shouldn't hurt the car... haha ill probably remove it later.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ncat10 Click here to enlarge
    About coding just remove FA $205 and add Fa $207 and coding DME/CAS/Kombi/JBFE
    Not need to program you MSD. The Zub # is same.
    You can find wire scheme on link
    http://etk.bmwsar.ru/wds/e89/index.htm

Just kinda looked through your thread... i want DCT :3 haha.. fack.

but na... I'm gonna end up dumping more money in my car than what its worth...
    Last edited by sammy_0559; 10-28-2013 at 11:30 AM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Something i kinda over looked, the reverse light on the Trans, the switch looks like one grounding wire, and one that goes to the reverse light i believe in the center console. If @ncat10 can swap a DCT successfully.. MT should be a easy task.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The 6MT is available for less than $1500 and a good clutch / flywheel setup is $1400. How much is a built domestic trans and torque converter going to be? More than that I'm sure. Plus the 6MT literally bolts right in with no fabrication once you buy the correct parts (driveshaft, mounts, etc). I think the 6MT is a cheaper and much easier option.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    The 6MT is available for less than $1500 and a good clutch / flywheel setup is $1400. How much is a built domestic trans and torque converter going to be? More than that I'm sure. Plus the 6MT literally bolts right in with no fabrication once you buy the correct parts (driveshaft, mounts, etc). I think the 6MT is a cheaper and much easier option.
    +1 I'm still debating with my self I'm seriously about to pull the trigger on the trans...
    the trans I'm looking at is 500 + shipping almost a no brainer at this point...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Because this is easier than getting a GM trans to work and play nicely with the electronics.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    +1 on it not being a good idea. Too many little parts needed to make it viable without a donor car. Just put the car back to stock, sell it, and buy an MT IMHO. Sure you may lose your ass selling but just buy the new car low too.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast