Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Retail

Attachment 33911

Trade-in

Attachment 33912

Private Party

Attachment 33913

14k seems a bit off....

of course your car is in excellent condition, with all records and options, etc etc.. im sure its showroom and CPO worthy so it couldnt possibly be less than "excellent" conditon

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    of course your car is in excellent condition, with all records and options, etc etc.. im sure its showroom and CPO worthy so it couldnt possibly be less than "excellent" conditon
    I selected my car condition as "very good" based off their descriptions, you can see where its highlighted in green on the "private party" listing. Retail defaults to excellent condition because that indicates its being sold by a dealer, and of course, they would never sell anything that was less than excellent. Click here to enlarge
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    youre never going to get value back on parts you put into the car... brusk you have all the essential suspension components as well as a quaife differential that transform our car to a much more capable sport coupe, yet if you sold it tomorrow 99% of the buyers would be scared that you did that... Ultimately hurting your resale value...

if you mod a car looking to increase value you're going to be forever disappointed.
    First off I'm not trying to give you $#@! even though I'm sure it comes off that way and people get defensive anytime somebody questions a decision you've made especially when it costed you that much. I just hate seeing people make expensive decisions and they say something stupid like you cares about the resale, that's like saying I just spend 15K on an engine swap and 10K a roll of toilet paper. Flushing 10K down the $#@!ter seems a little much to most people. But hey if you've had a hard on for a 2JZ since you were a kid and you finally get a chance to have one no matter the cost then hey I get it and good for you. Just sucks that a swap like that might be virtually unsellable if you ever decide your done with it. A swap like that in a lot of states will not pass emissions and/or inspections to get the car tagged not to mention the fear of worrying about an insurance company declining coverage if you were ever in an accident if they did a safety inspection after an accident. Yes it's unlikely but I've already seen it once to a customers modded car.

I've been doing the modding thing for over 20 years and had a small performance shop for some years so I know that there's no money in modded cars (exception civics in the late 90's early 2000's) but I've also never lost any major money on a modded car either. Some cars are easy to sell with mods and others aren't, in my area I haven't seen any hit in price for a modded BMW.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by manbeer Click here to enlarge
    I'm going against the grain and saying i hate 2jz's. I don't like anything from Japan in general. At the end of the day yeah it can make power. Its a heavy, primative , iron block 6 cylinder with a head that flows well.

LSx will do anything those can do with lower weight and better weight bias. In fact, as others have said...m52/s50 etc would achieve the same goal. Hell, 15 years ago this may have been a viable option but now its a hell of a lot of work and this motor doesn't deserve the "end all be all" status anymore. Sure back in the day it was capable of a lot and still is, but how many other factory FI'd iron block 6 cylinders were there? 1 that was mainstream, anyway... The rb26. Its just a good formula, not a magic recipe.

I could go on and on but I know I'm gonna get bashed by the fast and furious crowd but I will leave it at this...

A+ for effort, any time somebody does a swap like this it takes an incredible amount of dedication to see it through

At the same time seeing a Japanese engine makes my blood boil

Iron block 6 cylinders do work. The 2jz is not a miracle motor. It is one of the first mainstream ones that was factory FI and flowed well

Running well and putting down the power are 2 different stories. I'm sure it'll drive great with an iron block hanging over the front wheels

4- anger at German car having Japanese engine again. It makes me feel like someone raped my mom

5- if you are in america, you should keep it 'Merican
    A pretty good post.

People forget the BMW M50 line had an iron block and the Swedes were making absurd power with them (and still are) since the 90's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedLimit? Click here to enlarge
    Not bashing your opinion at all but you have the 2jz completely wrong...the heads actually flow horribly which is why guys use NOS when running larger turbos to help it spool quicker and you have to give it up to a motor that's still more than competitive 20 years after it's introduction. There's also that fact that an LSX motor which is 2x the displacement is seen as the only other option...
    That's why the S54 with its better heads and higher redline while retaining an iron block makes a strong case...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    Not all 2JZ haters. This swap was cool as hell 10 years ago in an E46. Nothing really exciting about putting a heavier lower tech 20 year old engine that really doesn't have much more street potential than the N54.
    2JZ's have been swapped in everything but to say it doesn't have more potential than the N54 when it's making like triple the horsepower doesn't make sense. The N54 has a LOOOONNNGGGGG way to go.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    2JZ's have been swapped in everything but to say it doesn't have more potential than the N54 when it's making like triple the horsepower doesn't make sense. The N54 has a LOOOONNNGGGGG way to go.
    I said streetable power. A triple digit HP smaller displacement engine is not streetable.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

@ChuckD05 - Since the cat is out of the bag on your swap can you give details on it? HP goals, street or strip machine, turbo choice, engine management, auto or manual etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

I said streetable power. A triple digit HP smaller displacement engine is not streetable.
    Streetable power lol

Why is it not streetable exactly?

We're talking power potential here and you say the N54 has more potential we're talking about what the motor can put out not what you consider or do not consider the right amount of power for the street.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

This is just a photoshop job! Click here to enlarge quit the tease heh
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

The ones I've had the pleasure were all somewhere between a street car and a drag car not really doing either very well. On the street they idled bad, drove bad, took off slower than crap, mostly felt like a delayed on/off switch instead of a throttle that couldn't get any traction at lower speeds. And yes I know it's gonna be hard to put down that kind of power at lower speeds but at least a bigger displacement engine you can feather it and the power builds instead of hitting like a BFH.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

I agree with sticky a S54 would have been a better choice if one wanted to stay with I6 engine layouts. A LSx if you just wanted to go race. If you wanted something unique, a M5 V10 would be a good choice albeit very difficult to pull off, it would show nice and get attention. But a 2JZ just feels out of place to me, but hey, to each their own right? Still cool.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I plan on using RB turbos with a power goal of 520 lol

This has to end... This was done by PetrolWerks to see if this motor would fit. It was in the shop with my car and I am in no rush so they test fitted the engine. My new used motor was sitting directly next to the car when the OP came in. :p

I have been running with it just to sit back and watch this talk develop. If i did any swap it would be a lsX into a 350z.
    @Blue24 is my mechanic you can direct any questions at him if you have any. But im sick of getting texts about this lol...
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

This has to end... This was done by PetrolWerks to see if this motor would fit. It was in the shop with my car and I am in no rush so they test fitted the engine. My new used motor was sitting directly next to the car when the OP came in. :p

I have been running with it just to sit back and watch this talk develop. If i did any swap it would be a lsX into a 350z.
    @Blue24 is my mechanic you can direct any questions at him if you have any. But im sick of getting texts about this lol...
    Hahaha, well that ends this thread then.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

This doesn't make any sense....quite a few people drive their 1000+ hp cars on the street all the time...if anything the more turbo lag the better for the street as you won't use the power unless you stay in hard enough and long enough for the power to kick in, or you can simply use a street tune....you have actually made an ass backwards point where larger displacement big power "street legal" racecars are usually much LESS streetable than a large turbo Supra, IS300, RX-7, etc....
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    I agree with sticky a S54 would have been a better choice if one wanted to stay with I6 engine layouts. A LSx if you just wanted to go race. If you wanted something unique, a M5 V10 would be a good choice albeit very difficult to pull off, it would show nice and get attention. But a 2JZ just feels out of place to me, but hey, to each their own right? Still cool.
    My vote is for the S85...nothing beats that sound! (it has been done before though, not crazy tough just really expensive)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Hahahah. I would never do this personally (I think its a waste for what you get), but I can applaud the effort and idea. Pretty neat! Wonder if an LSx with twin turbos fits in there... Ha. In all honesty though, the limitation of this platform is not the motor. It's the chassis.
    How is it the chassis? I'm actually pretty confident it's the motor that will probably prove to be no good beyond 800+ whp, but we'll see

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    This doesn't make any sense....quite a few people drive their 1000+ hp cars on the street all the time...if anything the more turbo lag the better for the street as you won't use the power unless you stay in hard enough and long enough for the power to kick in, or you can simply use a street tune....you have actually made an ass backwards point where larger displacement big power "street legal" racecars are usually much LESS streetable than a large turbo Supra, IS300, RX-7, etc....
    I'm sure everybody has a different level of "Streetable" but IMO excessive noise, NVH, jerkiness, accidental excess squealing of tires or generally feeling like your 14 again learning to drive stick. Maybe the tuners were only tuning for WOT which is still pretty common but the few examples I drove were excessively jerky, power would surge on pretty quick in lower gears once moving but throttle was not very linear felt like it went from only having 100HP to almost 1000 (neither which is something you want to try to pull out in traffic with) and trying to find a happy medium was a little difficult. I'm sure if you had a "street tune" with lower boost that would have helped but that in no way compares to the big V8's or blown V8's I've driven where the power is linear to the throttle. Want a little power 1/4 throttle and from there keep pushing until you have as much as you want, it's instant smooth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

I'm sure everybody has a different level of "Streetable" but IMO excessive noise, NVH, jerkiness, accidental excess squealing of tires or generally feeling like your 14 again learning to drive stick. Maybe the tuners were only tuning for WOT which is still pretty common but the few examples I drove were excessively jerky, power would surge on pretty quick in lower gears once moving but throttle was not very linear felt like it went from only having 100HP to almost 1000 (neither which is something you want to try to pull out in traffic with) and trying to find a happy medium was a little difficult. I'm sure if you had a "street tune" with lower boost that would have helped but that in no way compares to the big V8's or blown V8's I've driven where the power is linear to the throttle. Want a little power 1/4 throttle and from there keep pushing until you have as much as you want, it's instant smooth.
    I guess in the end to each their own, but I've driven and rode in both and don't really see your point at all, you must have ridden in something poorly tuned or just really not designed to be streetable at all. Always interesting to hear others experiences and POV's. Good chat friend Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

fwiw you can find 07 335s for 15k they get snatched up quick but they are out there.

I bought an 07 xi loaded with nav, manual etc. for 16k with 78k miles on it last may. I think I got a good deal especially with 4 new tires, oil change, recall work performed, etc.

Come next year they will be even cheaper.
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E91 Stockish and slow AF

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Out shop car is an 08 65xxx miles on it. Paid 13K cash. If you look hard enough they are out there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Moe tricked me. Again. First he pants me, then he pranks me about this. -_-
    AWE Non-Res Exhaust | AWE ColdFront | Bootmod3 BEF | Dodson Superstock Clutch | EoS Intercooler | ER Downpipes | ER Chargepipes | Fuel-It Platinum PI | Ice Tank | JB4 | Pure Stage 2 | Swift Springs | TPG/DSS 1200hp Axles | Built Motor (Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port & Polish)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge
    This is just a photoshop job! Click here to enlarge quit the tease heh
    Upon further analysis this is correct. I was able to digitally remove the fake 2JZ and this is what I found:

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    Upon further analysis this is correct. I was able to digitally remove the fake 2JZ and this is what I found:

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    That's amazing. I didn't even see that giant mass of polished metal under the 2JZ. Let's hope the thermal management is superb. I'm sure inspection won't be a problem though.
    Eppur si muove.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast