Close

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

It would be nice to find out what his HP goals and intentions are for the car to figure out why he went that route. Resale value just took a $#@! unless the next owner lives in a state that has no emissions testing or wants a race car. I would have to agree that something like and LSx would have made more sense for the power. Even though the 2JZ is a nice engine it was Toyota's electronics that are always the real pain, most setups with any power I've seen have either switched over to a standalone engine management or have half a dozen electronic add ons tricking the ECU and trying to keep things in check.
    @LostMarine - Not sure how you can say it can't compete. If you put a stock LS3 setup in a 3 series it would be running about the same numbers as the M3 with the advantage of a huge aftermarket selection to improve on with limitations only being budget.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    It would be nice to find out what his HP goals and intentions are for the car to figure out why he went that route. Resale value just took a $#@! unless the next owner lives in a state that has no emissions testing or wants a race car. I would have to agree that something like and LSx would have made more sense for the power. Even though the 2JZ is a nice engine it was Toyota's electronics that are always the real pain, most setups with any power I've seen have either switched over to a standalone engine management or have half a dozen electronic add ons tricking the ECU and trying to keep things in check.
    @LostMarine - Not sure how you can say it can't compete. If you put a stock LS3 setup in a 3 series it would be running about the same numbers as the M3 with the advantage of a huge aftermarket selection to improve on with limitations only being budget.
    1. 2JZ FTW! He's doing it because he wants to and 2jzs are badass, while everyone else waits and waits chuck wants a badass unique car to drive. critque all you want, but id like to see it. i guess people are mad because the new 2jz doesnt compare to the real 2j.
    resale value? really? thats what pops into your mind when you see this? go ahead and drive your car to 70k+ and see what resale value is.. i did, 2 years ago

2. sarcasm, s65 with no boost low has no tq - but if you want to go n54 vs s65 again, ive put the call out to find one capable of beating me, havent found one yet Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    How much more does the 2JZ motor weigh over the n54?
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction
    [
    01/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Cobb S2+ PTF-protune | Stett CAI | ETS 5" FMIC | AR DP | AE Exhaust - Gone

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

All i can say is that at the end of the day, while a 2jz is proven hp and reliability the LS series motors offer both with greater efficiency, all while biasing the weight towards the rear of the nose. Thats the beauty of the V8 configuration in general. Coming from the g35/350z world, i have seen LSx swapped cars, albeit basic bolt on setups, that were still getting 25-30mpg while stomping down 99% of other cars on the road when they weren't. In the true spirit of being a motorhead, i am glad to see this kind of effort because things like this are what keep the whole sport and hobby alive. I just hate the fact that any 20 year old kid thats into imports bust a nut every time you mention a 2jz like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nitehawk Click here to enlarge
    How much more does the 2JZ motor weigh over the n54?
    Anywhere between 120 and 160 lbs based upon different listings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    1. 2JZ FTW! He's doing it because he wants to and 2jzs are badass, while everyone else waits and waits chuck wants a badass unique car to drive. critque all you want, but id like to see it. i guess people are mad because the new 2jz doesnt compare to the real 2j.
    resale value? really? thats what pops into your mind when you see this? go ahead and drive your car to 70k+ and see what resale value is.. i did, 2 years ago

2. sarcasm, s65 with no boost low has no tq - but if you want to go n54 vs s65 again, ive put the call out to find one capable of beating me, havent found one yet Click here to enlarge
    That's why I was curious on the power goals. Just because a 2JZ can put out more power doesn't make it cheap to do it right. Would suck spend 15K on a proper swap just to have the cars value drop in half and not allowed to be tagged in most states.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

lol.. who is talking about cost? done right usually isnt cheap, but i know petrolwerks will do it right. having vast experience with 2jz's, im sure it wont take long for them.

secondly, resale value? the cars stock are worth about 14k trade-in right now in perfect condition... you can part the cars out and make more than that.

these comments are ridiculous. Im gonna laugh when the fastest turbo 3 series arent N54s lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

lol.. who is talking about cost? done right usually isnt cheap, but i know petrolwerks will do it right. having vast experience with 2jz's, im sure it wont take long for them.

secondly, resale value? the cars stock are worth about 14k trade-in right now in perfect condition... you can part the cars out and make more than that.

these comments are ridiculous. Im gonna laugh when the fastest turbo 3 series arent N54s lol
    14K is better then not being able to sell the car at all. Have you ever tried to part out a car? Not as easy as you'd think most people that need the parts have insurance so after you've sold the drive train and interior your stuck with a shell that just sits waiting for somebody that needs that part and not using insurance.

On another note anybody ever talked to their insurance company about motor swaps on newer cars? I'd be curious if they would even pay if an accident happened when half the safety equipment has been removed/disabled.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

When I get my single kit running I'll put out numbers and info. Before me though, there is another guy named Terry which actually tunes the stuff. He has 2 of them right now and is not shy to put it to the test. I'm sure you know that too LM Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

14K is better then not being able to sell the car at all. Have you ever tried to part out a car? Not as easy as you'd think most people that need the parts have insurance so after you've sold the drive train and interior your stuck with a shell that just sits waiting for somebody that needs that part and not using insurance.

On another note anybody ever talked to their insurance company about motor swaps on newer cars? I'd be curious if they would even pay if an accident happened when half the safety equipment has been removed/disabled.
    who the $#@! cares about resale value? enjoy the $#@!ing car. yes i have parted out cars before. it must be so hard to sell a bunch of parts people ask for on a daily basis.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    When I get my single kit running I'll put out numbers and info. Before me though, there is another guy named Terry which actually tunes the stuff. He has 2 of them right now and is not shy to put it to the test. I'm sure you know that too LM Click here to enlarge

I heard about something like that.. dont know all the details though Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

4 out of 5 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    To many 2JZ haters on here...this is BAD ASS!!!!!!
    E50 PTF

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    Lol man you're the one who said in most cases the 2JZ would be better. I think you're crazy because in any case I can think of it's not "better" and at best it's equal, although the 2JZ is an awesome engine. I would say the exact same thing to anybody saying a 4G63 is better than a 2JZ, although in that case size might be an issue. Compared to a LS, the 2JZ is physically larger (and heavier) in every direction (length, width, height) other than displacement which the LS has more substantially more of. I have a feeling he went with this engine out of a personal preference or goal of some sort and I hope to see some video's of it because motor swaps are always cool. But I agree, lets not get off topic here heh.

My post wasn't to start a "which swap is better" war anyway. But since we always go back and forth N54 335i vs S65 M3, I figured a 2JZ 335i vs LSx M3 would be an interesting race. Just inciting thought was all.
    I agree it'd be sick, there's honestly soo much potential with both, it would truly be cool to see two guys with each setup just go all out balls deep no budget in each project and see who wins. With some limits to mods like keeping the body stock lol
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

who the $#@! cares about resale value? enjoy the $#@!ing car. yes i have parted out cars before. it must be so hard to sell a bunch of parts people ask for on a daily basis.
    Financially responsible people. I forgot how pointless it is for people to argue with you since you are always right.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jlcf22 Click here to enlarge
    To many 2JZ haters on here...this is BAD ASS!!!!!!
    Not all 2JZ haters. This swap was cool as hell 10 years ago in an E46. Nothing really exciting about putting a heavier lower tech 20 year old engine that really doesn't have much more street potential than the N54.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Hahahah. I would never do this personally (I think its a waste for what you get), but I can applaud the effort and idea. Pretty neat! Wonder if an LSx with twin turbos fits in there... Ha. In all honesty though, the limitation of this platform is not the motor. It's the chassis.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Not all 2JZ haters. This swap was cool as hell 10 years ago in an E46. Nothing really exciting about putting a heavier lower tech 20 year old engine that really doesn't have much more street potential than the N54.
    Couldn't agree more. I don't understand the point of a motor swap if you are not adding displacement or going a few generations ahead.

I really don't think the 2JZ is that great of a motor personally.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    @Terry@BMS BMW said I can keep my warranty.
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

2jz cylinder heads sucks cock~ thats why a good ported head is $#@!ing 10k$ plus for that dump of a motor

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 600whp S4 Click here to enlarge
    2jz cylinder heads sucks cock~ thats why a good ported head is $#@!ing 10k$ plus for that dump of a motor
    The difference in a high flowing head vs just in an NA motor can make a huge difference but not as much on turbo cars. Paul Efantis at MSP claims they couldn't find any real power past redoing the valves, good valve job and a little minor clean up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Financially responsible people. I forgot how pointless it is for people to argue with you since you are always right.
    your points are moronic, resale value.. financially responsible people dont dump $ into their car expecting to get it back at full value.

So let me understand this, your car is worth 14k, you just dumped 5k into it and $#@! dont work right with oem motor.. so you dump another 5k into to get results you want, which few in the world have done.. and you moan about resale value and registration?

rarely do i use the word haters, if ever, but this is fitting.. you applaud and clap and scream N54 is new 2jz.. but it doesnt run like a 2jz, so guy puts a 2jz in it.. now 2jz is crap.. lol..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    youre never going to get value back on parts you put into the car... brusk you have all the essential suspension components as well as a quaife differential that transform our car to a much more capable sport coupe, yet if you sold it tomorrow 99% of the buyers would be scared that you did that... Ultimately hurting your resale value...

if you mod a car looking to increase value you're going to be forever disappointed.
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

your points are moronic, resale value.. financially responsible people dont dump $ into their car expecting to get it back at full value.

So let me understand this, your car is worth 14k, you just dumped 5k into it and $#@! dont work right with oem motor.. so you dump another 5k into to get results you want, which few in the world have done.. and you moan about resale value and registration?

rarely do i use the word haters, if ever, but this is fitting.. you applaud and clap and scream N54 is new 2jz.. but it doesn't run like a 2jz, so guy puts a 2jz in it.. now 2jz is crap.. lol..
    Who's 335 is only worth 14k? I would say 20k is the floor for a well maintained, decent mileage 07+ 335i. I've got a gang of people around here that are looking for great deals on a 335i, you don't see them because the cars are still in great demand.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Who's 335 is only worth 14k? I would say 20k is the floor for a well maintained, decent mileage 07+ 335i. I've got a gang of people around here that are looking for great deals on a 335i, you don't see them because the cars are still in great demand.
    go to KBB or autotrader and price what yours is worth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

go to KBB or autotrader and price what yours is worth.
    Retail

Click here to enlarge

Trade-in

Click here to enlarge

Private Party

Click here to enlarge

14k seems a bit off....
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast