Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

6HP21 CAN message set

So, from what I've read on this forum no one has been able to defeat the encryption of the 6HP21 TCM. However, has anyone logged and understood all or most of the CAN messages associated with the TCM?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

They are easy to intercept but I've not deciphered many. On my to-do list is to listen to the messages to see if I can use them to alter the shifting RPM.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

This was going to be a project of mine. This is my prediction without looking at anything:

You can probably read and flash the TCU. However it will not accept the file or run. The keys/algorithm required to get into programming mode in the TCU is probably possible, however I don't see anyone getting the key or algorithm to sign the modified files that are being flashed to the TCU.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

If you are talking flash, you can flash them with that INPA software to the Alpina file. So someone would just need to dissect, change, patch that file. But seems like a lot of work to me. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    If you are talking flash, you can flash them with that INPA software to the Alpina file. So someone would just need to dissect, change, patch that file. But seems like a lot of work to me. Click here to enlarge
    If you modify that file at all you break the signature on it. If it were that simple then we would be flashing custom files already. If it is that simple, the people working on this project are stupid.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Flashing it would be way over my head, but maybe it can be piggybacked like the DME, and as you mentioned shift point, and maybe even shift firmness and timing can be changed to make it engage quicker, you've already set in the backend flash for the pump pressure to be increased correct?
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    Flashing it would be way over my head, but maybe it can be piggybacked like the DME, and as you mentioned shift point, and maybe even shift firmness and timing can be changed to make it engage quicker, you've already set in the backend flash for the pump pressure to be increased correct?
    The trans receives a target torque and actual torque figure which is part of its internal logic. In theory we could insert larger actual torque figures. But it's a two way communication. It would likely need to be CAN gateway rather than a CAN node and thus would become a big headache IMHO.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Do we know what address or addresses the transmission uses on the CAN bus?
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

The trans receives a target torque and actual torque figure which is part of its internal logic. In theory we could insert larger actual torque figures. But it's a two way communication. It would likely need to be CAN gateway rather than a CAN node and thus would become a big headache IMHO.
    Sounds like a Jameson project to me
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge