Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Yes... or wiki

I had a co-worker tell me he was looking at the X3M and thinking of buying it this next weekend. I told him there was no X1M and he must be thinking of the x5M. It took a while before I realized he was talking about a normal x1 with the m package lol.... He legit thought it was a new x1M and a real M car.
    This is why slapping //M on every damn thing is a bad idea. Now guys are going to stand around parking lots discussing the finer points of what a 'real' M is. SMH
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You have to do a double take.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I like the 2 better! I see some g37ish traits in the new 4 coupe.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cisi Click here to enlarge
    the ZF 8 speed has no real disadvantages to a dual clutch any more.
    Lots of reviewers when testing the new 8speed transmission thought it is in fact a dual clutch before they read the thcnical specs of the gearbox/car.
    It shifts slower as a dual clutch (on the paper) but just as fast perception wise.

BMW already said 4 or more years ago that a dual clutch has no real advantages. Its just heavy.
    The only reason why they put a dual clutch in the game at that time was because the 8speed was not finished(their traditional 6 speed really looked odd compared to other vendors dual clutch) and people where demanding for a sportier fast shifting transmission and so the dual-clutch was the only option.
    They still have to offer it because people now demand it in sports cars(they all remember how bad compared to a fast shifting gearbox the old tranny was and now in their mind only the dual clutch shifts fast)..
    It could be that the actual 8 speed and the new 9 speed automatic will change again peoples mind in the DCT vs traditional auto gearing and BMW could in future then stop using the heavy DCT in favor of a more efficient, lighter and just as fast shifting 9 speed ZF automatic.
    Already in the actual M5 the 8speed was supposed to be used instead of the dual-clutch 7 speed. But finally the DCT was used.
    The customers still have this "bad" behavior in mind the old gearboxes before the 8 speed where having and still are concerned they could feel a difference in shifting speeds/behavior. But different tests of the 8speed show clearly how good it is and that it has only benefits to a dual-clutch.
    If more gears are what is best, why don't we start throwing CVTs in M3s and Corvettes?

As pointed out already, there are huge drawbacks to automatic transmissions. The first being you literally CAN NOT spin them fast. You will likely never find a high revving motor (ala BMW M3 or S2000 or Civic Si) sold with an automatic transmission for this reason alone... You are misunderstanding the entire point of SMG/DCT, it's not the fact that it IS or IS NOT automatically actuated that people like it/it's superior to an automatic/etc. - it's because a conventional "automatic" (like a ZF from a 335) has a torque converter and a DCT/SMG or even a pure manual transmission does not. The torque converter kills efficiency. It's not just the shift speed that makes a DSG have an advantage.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Irishace Click here to enlarge
    Anyone else think it looks like a Honda Civic with knock off Audi S mirrors. It does not hold a candle to the 135i in appearance. RIP 1 series.
    The 1 series was always ugly. They did that on purpose. Sort of like what they did with the previous Boxsters.

The 1 looks perfect, IMO.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    the interior is a huge step up from E82... the exterior is just a downscaled 4 series... definite downgrade from E82 imo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Something I am curious in finding out is how interchangeable the 8hp transmissions are. I would assume the m235 comes with the 8hp45 (450nm torque). The 550 comes with the 8hp70 for (700nm torque). According to ZF the 8hp trans are kits and Semi interchangeable.

Maybe finally an easy trans upgrade for auto owners?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12