Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It creates a problem if they do a tweaked N20 and the N55 guys have more power with just a tune.
    If they do a M2 it won't be a tweaked N20 for that reason. And they won't use a detuned S55.

My guess is just a tuned N55. With the majority of attention to weight savings (carbon roof, etc...), LSD, M3 suspension parts, widebody (wider track), optional DCT, additional cooling for track use.

You better believe it will be slower than the M4 around a tack and straight line. That is just how BMW does things.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    I think it's possible they build a 400HP I4 turbo to compete with the M133. I think it might confuse the average BMW customer like someone else said too though. "I'm buying a much more expensive M car with a smaller motor than the lower costing model? WTF?" At that point, what is more cost effective to the enthusiast/modder? Buy an M235i with an N55 that has been around for years and will have tuning and aftermarket support immediately but has 100HP less than the new M car? Or get the M car with the 400HP stock and wait for the aftermarket to catch up? IDK. I hope we get an answer on the M2 soon though.
    BMW already did a four cylinder in a chassis they had a six cylinder in with the E30 M3. Are people too stupid today to get it though? I mean if BMW is really serious about repairing their image drawing a true parallel to the E30 M3 with say an M version of the N20 in an M2. That actually makes a lot of sense. Way more than those stupid marketing photos of the 1M with the E30 M3 that all the sheep gobbled up.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
    No...but I would take the 325hp 3.4L in the Cayman S that is 28mpg.

Or the 400hp 3.8L in the 991S that get 27mph.

Or the 455hp 6.2L in the C7 that gets 29mpg.

And so on...

What does the N54 do in the 335i...26mpg.
    Porsche's advantage with the boxer engine layout... Easy to increase displacement without so much impact to the driving characteristics of the chassis or style of the vehicle. Seems like BMW has hit a wall with the 3.0L I6. Could they increase displacement to 3.5 without altering the length of the front clip or raising CoG of the vehicle?
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If they do a M2 it won't be a tweaked N20 for that reason. And they won't use a detuned S55.

My guess is just a tuned N55. With the majority of attention to weight savings (carbon roof, etc...), LSD, M3 suspension parts, widebody (wider track), optional DCT, additional cooling for track use.

You better believe it will slower than the M4 around a tack and straight line.
    I'm curious as to why we are even thinking an M2 is necessary when the M235i is already positioned against the CLA? The E82 1-Series never had the M135i available that only came with the next gen 1-Series.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    Porsche's advantage with the boxer engine layout... Easy to increase displacement without so much impact to the driving characteristics of the chassis or style of the vehicle. Seems like BMW has hit a wall with the 3.0L I6. Could they increase displacement to 3.5 without altering the length of the front clip or raising CoG of the vehicle?
    BMW is definitely not at a wall with the N55.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm curious as to why we are even thinking an M2 is necessary when the M235i is already positioned against the CLA? The E82 1-Series never had the M135i available that only came with the next gen 1-Series.
    I don't really think it is necessary. Just saying if it does come, BMW is not making a bespoke M-engine from the N20. Not happening. And I sure as hell don't see them using a detuned S55.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    BMW already did a four cylinder in a chassis they had a six cylinder in with the E30 M3. Are people too stupid today to get it though? I mean if BMW is really serious about repairing their image drawing a true parallel to the E30 M3 with say an M version of the N20 in an M2. That actually makes a lot of sense. Way more than those stupid marketing photos of the 1M with the E30 M3 that all the sheep gobbled up.
    I could almost, *almost*, go for a boosted I4 in the M2 as a true trace back to the M roots ala E30 M3. I'd be happier with that than any sort of N55 variant.

M-B has layed down the challenge with their 2.0L turbo. BMW could make a huge statement with a 370hp S20
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't really think it is necessary. Just saying if it does come, BMW is not making a bespoke M-engine from the N20. Not happening. And I sure as hell don't see them using a detuned S55.
    So then N55 would be path of least resistance as stated.

I mean we're all speculating. If it does come, I would expect it to just take M4/M3 suspension bits, brakes, and transmission pieces with a tweaked N55. Maximum profit, minimal effort. Essentially 1M 2.0.

If BMW intends to repair the M image, then a tweaked N20 (S20?) and a 'spiritual' E30 M3 successor with weight pulled out of it makes the most sense and would actually honor their history.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    I could almost, *almost*, go for a boosted I4 in the M2 as a true trace back to the M roots ala E30 M3. I'd be happier with that than any sort of N55 variant.

M-B has layed down the challenge with their 2.0L turbo. BMW could make a huge statement with a 370hp S20
    Absolutely. And Audi is using the 2.5 inline-5 to make their statement so what is BMW going to do? Ignore it and just use the N55 to compete with both? I wouldn't doubt that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I mean we're all speculating. If it does come, I would expect it to just take M4/M3 suspension bits, brakes, and transmission pieces with a tweaked N55. Maximum profit, minimal effort. Essentially 1M 2.0.
    My thoughts exactly.

The M2 rumors are basically being perpetuated by the so-called BMW insider over on the other forum.

He has been wrong before. Like saying a X3M was for sure coming.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    being perpetuated by the so-called BMW insider over on the other forum
    So-called is a good way to put it.

He has been wrong before. Like saying a X3M was for sure coming.
    Many times. I wonder if he's just one of the staff there to generate rumors and hits.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123