Close

Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This thread needs to be NWS, I came twice already.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    This thread needs to be NWS, I came twice already.
    Uh oh, premature. It isn't quite ready for action or to be ridden yet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I was monitoring the knock sensors directly @ 200hz via analog channels on the JB4. But we'll get the CAN based cyl 2-6 going eventually which is much easier than plugging extra wires in to the harness. It's not going to make OEM pistons more reliable at higher power levels though. All it's going to do is making street tuning a little easier/faster, and give the JB4 an opportunity to catch overly aggressive tuning on the street in the background faster than it can monitoring only #1 .

Timing needs to be set close to MBT or slightly below. Too far below and EGT will go up and you'll melt the top of the piston. Too high and you trigger unnecessary knock. I've seen both types of failures on OEM pistons. The timing curve should be set on a dyno where you can monitor power output and knock using headphones or the analog sensors. The problem is at very high power levels (high cylinder pressures) it doesn't take much to break those OEM pistons. Logging is not going to improve this situation unless you're setting a timing curve too high which only a fool would do at these power levels on OEM pistons. I know of many OEM motors blowing with larger turbos. Much more than anyone ever posts on the forums and from all sorts of tuning approaches. So it should not surprise anyone when it eventually happens to them. Just plan for it.

Regarding the OEM motor in my 135i it's been torn down and was not a tuning related failure. Which would make sense considering it had over 100 1/2 mile passes on it, hundreds of 1/4 mile passes, all on basically the same tuning. On this motor we'll have to see. As the PCV was fully clogged I have a feeling one of the rings wound up damaged as a result. Typically when knock is bad enough to damage a piston you'll see some evidence on the plug and none was observed here. For now the car drives fine and we'll tear it down when we build it up and I'll let you know what we find in there.
    Great, informative response Terry.

Thanks for the insight/transparency.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    FFTEC spec'd CP Pistons have arrived for Terry@BMS. These accompanied with our FFTEC spec'd N54 connecting rods yield better R/S for the N54 engine.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^^^ wow looks great. That's for the e92 right?
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    those pistons look good!
    2008 e92 335i: JB4 G5 ISO/BMS back end flash, fbo, e85, inlets, Rb turbos, level 10 valve body + converter, water/methanol.....and a lot more....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hell yeah, now lets see what she can do with some real boost thrown at it.
    E90 335i - JB4, DP's, DCI, turbo upgrade coming soon!
    Jeep SRT8 - Stage 6 Motorsports single turbo, Precision 7675, stock block, full bolt-ons - 710/664 at 10psi
    10.61 @ 129

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^^Hell yeah. Lets see 40psi.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    ^^^ wow looks great. That's for the e92 right?
    Those are for the E92. We're going to also do a similar build in the 135i but not until I get a little seat time and get to work on the transmission issues.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Those are for the E92. We're going to also do a similar build in the 135i but not until I get a little seat time and get to work on the transmission issues.
    That is badass.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    how are the rods changed/what R:S do they now have?
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    ^^Hell yeah. Lets see 40psi.
    We already ran 40 psi on the stage 3 prototype...Click here to enlarge Car didn't didn't seem to mind it. My brother still daily drives it work every day with some stage 2's on it. Runs like a top, sometimes you find motors like that, they just don't want to give it up no matter what you throw at them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    how are the rods changed/what R:S do they now have?
    We've moved the rod stroke ratio into the 1.6X range to yield more torque with less side loading on the piston skirt which will cause less wear to the cylinder bores.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    We already ran 40 psi on the stage 3 prototype...Click here to enlarge Car didn't didn't seem to mind it. My brother still daily drives it work every day with some stage 2's on it. Runs like a top, sometimes you find motors like that, they just don't want to give it up no matter what you throw at them.
    really, with stock fuel system Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MikeB@FFTEC Click here to enlarge
    We've moved the rod stroke ratio into the 1.6X range to yield more torque with less side loading on the piston skirt which will cause less wear to the cylinder bores.
    N54 is ... 1.506 right? 1.6x is a huge change.. pity, it's probably a little out of my budget haha. Does it need modifications to the crank for this? or just a special piston+rod combo? (longer rod with the pin on the piston moved a few mm?)

is cylinder bore wear even a big deal so far for N54's?
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135idct Click here to enlarge
    really, with stock fuel system Click here to enlarge
    with a ton of meth i guess?
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    with a ton of meth i guess?
    He probably means a 40psi spike somehow.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 2300+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/
    Or the BX8 Enthusiast Group!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/353105035077862/
    Cars: 2005 E46 330i - Sold | 2007 E90 335i - Crashed | 2009 E93 335i - Current | 1996 E36 328i Sedan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    He probably means a 40psi spike somehow.
    It wasn't really a spike, I was trying to figure out a wastgate issue and just clamped them shut, let it make what it wanted. It made 40 psi on multiple pulls on the street. We didn't run it there though. I actually thought it was going to blow up to be honest.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    He does have a completely upgraded fuel system on that car
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    More progress on the installation of Terry's kit.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Coming along nicely.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    It wasn't really a spike, I was trying to figure out a wastgate issue and just clamped them shut, let it make what it wanted. It made 40 psi on multiple pulls on the street. We didn't run it there though. I actually thought it was going to blow up to be honest.
    Could you infer anything from the logs? Fuel trims at 40psi?

What rpm range was it 35+?
    Click here to enlarge
    Cars: 2005 E46 330i - Sold | 2007 E90 335i - Crashed | 2009 E93 335i - Current | 1996 E36 328i Sedan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Could you infer anything from the logs? Fuel trims at 40psi?

What rpm range was it 35+?
    Geez, I would have to some serious digging and Investigative work to figure out which logs those were. We have hundreds and hundreds if Cobb and aem logs from that time, the Cobb logs I couldn't find if in cause it doesn't show true boost. If I have some extra time I'll try to find a couple.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Geez, I would have to some serious digging and Investigative work to figure out which logs those were. We have hundreds and hundreds if Cobb and aem logs from that time, the Cobb logs I couldn't find if in cause it doesn't show true boost. If I have some extra time I'll try to find a couple.
    Yeah no worries unless off the top of your head. Would be interesting to know, wonder how much power was being made Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

There is another private track day at Famoso on 2/1. The transmission issues won't be resolved by then but it would be fun to take a few low boost passes down the track to feel this new setup out. Hope it's ready by then. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast