Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

E92 M3 Gintani SC'd / Track / Reliability Update

So just wanted to say a lil something and check in with people, especially people interested in supercharging their M3.

In the last week i have done alot of hard driving, i am also at 17,500 miles on my car and installed the Gintani kit at 12,000 miles, so got 5,500 miles on car, lots of dynos, canyon runs, track, drag.

- Last sunday hit the famoso drag. The car performed flawlessly. There was one DCT limp mode and it only lasted for about 20-30 sec...was doing multiple runs in a row on street tires at first and spinning tires ALOT, hit redline in first and second..light came on...rolled down strip and halfway down it the light went off. When the light came in, pretty much the tranny disengaged,so if i hit gas no power was transfered to the transmission. when light came back on car was fine. So after each run i would drive the parking lot for less than 1min then go do next, problem never happend again. And in my opinion it is a good thing that it does that, obviously at the drag tranny get worked hard so its just keeping itself safe.

- During week went out and did some VBOX runs with Drew, managed 8.9 with lots of tire spin, will do better!

-Today i went to streets of willow at willowsprings. Went with Niterider, was tight 2 Gintani SC'd cars at the track. A couple of the tech were going GAGA over them. Again car performed amazingly. Engine temps were same as my car when it was NA, never got too hot at all. DCT was perfect, no lag, always downshifted under heavy breaking, no limp mode. Power took some getting use to...was so fast on straights. Could pass pretty much anyone there no prob. I didnt feel any negative handling affect of the sc, just me being sloppy on gas peddle and almost spinning a few times! what a rush!

Niterider's car and mine
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the update, I'm very familiar with DCT limp mode issues.

I thought you were running drag radials on the strip?

The water-air cooler is overkill... and you can tell with you how your car performed on the strip.

We will have to do some runs soon Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    when i got there friends with the drags werent there yet...so i did a few runs on my streets and went nowhere fast...
    Current:
    14 Viper TA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sammyrusso Click here to enlarge
    when i got there friends with the drags werent there yet...so i did a few runs on my streets and went nowhere fast...
    Once you got the drag radials did you do a burnout?

What launch mode did you use?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yes to burnout, had trouble holding it thou...tried applying brakes a lil, ebrake...wierd w/ dct. and i didnt use launch control...just floored it, as u know the dct jumps to about 4k rpms...lauch control would of been way too much power...cause flooring cause me to spin the tires too much...
    Current:
    14 Viper TA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yes to burnout, had trouble holding it thou...tried applying brakes a lil, ebrake...wierd w/ dct. and i didnt use launch control...just floored it, as u know the dct jumps to about 4k rpms...lauch control would of been way too much power...cause flooring cause me to spin the tires too much...
    Honestly, launch control is not too much power it is all about grip. Launch control also modulates the clutch but it is so freaking inconsistent and hard to get it to do what you want it to right when you want it to Click here to enlarge

DCT is definitely hard to use, I finally got it down but once supercharged it is a different game.

Regardless, my next time at the strip I'm going to try the different methods. I still feel launch control at high rpm provides the best launch. It has provided the best 60 foot thus far.

Were you in D1 or S1 when you floored it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    thats what i mean...its too much power for the tires i had....power/grip run hand in hand...u should buy some HOOSIERS! tried both D and S...tried taking off in S shifting to 2nd myself, then knocking it into D
    Current:
    14 Viper TA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    thats what i mean...its too much power for the tires i had....power/grip run hand in hand...u should buy some HOOSIERS! tried both D and S...tried taking off in S shifting to 2nd myself, then knocking it into D
    I'm moving to Hoosiers ASAP.

Mashing in D1 vs. S1 is supposed to shoot up to a lower RPM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thank you posting this info! I believe this type of info is very valuable about a kit= priceless.
    This is my signature... Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice! I love seeing boosted BMW's hitting the twisty tracks! Wish I could have joined you guys, maybe next time Click here to enlarge

Go back to streets of willow a good few times before you move to Big Willow

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good stuff, Niterider's car is looking really good too with the LCI lights and CSL trunk.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sammy, Brian, good stuff guys, the Gintani kits are providing everyone with real results, etc. appreciate it!
    08 E92 M3 - DCT
    Bolt Ons - Best ET 11.88 Best Trap Speed 119.8 MPH
    60-130 MPH (3 shifts) 10.71s
    Gintani Stage 2+ Supercharger 60-130MPH (3 shifts) 7.06s
    11.45 @ 131.6 MPH
    579WHP @9.3psi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very Nice! Love those HRE P43 rims. The high polish looks great on AW.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DLSJ5 Click here to enlarge
    Sammy, Brian, good stuff guys, the Gintani kits are providing everyone with real results, etc. appreciate it!
    Drew = Gintani = NOW!!! LOL

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Re: E92 M3 Gintani SC'd / Track / Reliability Update

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by st06m3

Drew = Gintani = NOW!!! LOL
    On it's way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    These are the kinds of results people want/need to see, as the cliche' goes proof is in the pudding. There have been more than a few vendors who's abilities have been doubted, attacked, criticized, etc., BMS, HPF, and others, but in the end they proved them wrong, with RESULTS. I've seen how hard Alex and his Brother work, as well as people that have joined their team, these guys are VERY passionate about cars and helping their customers, and so far their E9x kits look to be very reliable. I've seen it with my own eyes, Sammy, J's car and Brian's at the track, etc., they are delivering.

Another thing that I think should be mentioned is that Alex and Gintani do not engage in name calling, they do not attack or post their doubts about other companies abilities or products, they just work on projects, cars and kits, so we can go faster, I like that. Keep it up guys.
    Last edited by DLSJ5; 02-13-2010 at 08:31 PM.
    08 E92 M3 - DCT
    Bolt Ons - Best ET 11.88 Best Trap Speed 119.8 MPH
    60-130 MPH (3 shifts) 10.71s
    Gintani Stage 2+ Supercharger 60-130MPH (3 shifts) 7.06s
    11.45 @ 131.6 MPH
    579WHP @9.3psi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DLSJ5 Click here to enlarge
    These are the kinds of results people want/need to see, as the cliche' goes proof is in the pudding. There have been more than a few vendors who's abilities have been doubted, attacked, criticized, etc., BMS, HPF, and others, but in the end they proved them wrong, with RESULTS. I've seen how hard Alex and his Brother work, as well as people that have joined their team, these guys are VERY passionate about cars and helping their customers, and so far their E9x kits look to be very reliable. I've seen it with my own eyes, Sammy, J's car and Brian's at the track, etc., they are delivering.

Another thing that I think should be mentioned is that Alex and Gintani do not engage in name calling, they do not attack or post their doubts about other companies abilities or products, they just work on projects, cars and kits, so we can go faster, I like that. Keep it up guys.
    Good to hear the Gintani clan is level headed and professional. Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the kit Drew since you may sway me to sell the STI and get an e90....lol